Accepted !

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
I realize I don't post here a lot, but I'm pretty excited nonetheless. Today, I found out that I've been accepted into pharmacy school, and I will start this coming fall. It is a new school here in Kentucky, and quite close to my hometown. It is a four year school, but once I finish, I will have my pharm D. Like I said, I'm pretty excited.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Congrats dude.
Do you have to have a bachelors before going to the school or does it cover everything?

pokerpoison

Established Member
Click the link. It gives you the required Core classes prior to applying.

http://www.aacp.org/resources/acade...12 FINAL PharmacyPre-RequisiteInformation.pdf

I will highlight the best parts

Bio General (Major) 1,2, Micro, Anat/Phys 1,2,

CHM General (Majors) 1/2, Organic 1/2,

Math College Algebra through Calculus

A lot of people that go to Pharmacy School get a BS in Biology with a Chem Minor or Vice Versa. This is not required, and many people get other degrees prior to applying but the core sh!t classes are above.

OP, good luck in Pharmacy School. If I could recommend something to you. Plan on doing a post-graduate residency program. It is not required as you probably already know, but it will make you a better candidate for positions you are applying for. I would also try to do a rotation or 2 in a compounding pharmacy.

Right now the vacancy rate for Pharm D Candidates is about 4%.. Pharmacy schools are pumping PharmDs out at a rate of almost 3 to 1 faster than the market growth. I sit on the Board of Directors for the Arizona Pharmacy Alliance, (Arizona Pharmacy Alliance) and we were just discussing this at our last meeting. 3 Hospital Positions 60 Applicants of which only 10 got invited for formal interviews.

The retail side is not as bad as hospital pharmacy but it is not that far off. Average time to fill a position has fallen to 10 days vs 35 days 4 years ago. Technology and Mail order have severly limited the need for retail pharmacists.

If you need help along your way feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
Thanks everyone. I'm located in Salyersville, which is in the Eastern portion of the state. As poker pointed out, a bachelors isn't required, as I'm in my third year of undergrad, and will matriculate in the fall.

Poker, thanks a lot for that information, it seems to be quite valuable. And if I have any questions or concerns I will pm you.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations! Sounds like you're pursuing a career that is exciting to you. That in and of itself is a reason to shout. i wish you nothing but the best at pharmacy school.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
Congrats! When you become a pharmacist, just remember you are in charge of not killing people. Don't get grumpy either. I worked at walgreens as an assistant manager and all the pharmacists were d****. Know where you came from!

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
badass! my wife is a Pharm tech and is going to school now to be a pharmacist, she got tired of the bs and is ready to step her game up. she's been a tech for about 3 years, she said they do about the same things (lead techs) and the computer will find if drugs counteract with each other so hwy not finish school and become one. she's excited

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Congrats. My niece just graduated last May with a Doctorate degree in Pharmacology. 4 years at Morehead and 4 at University of Charleston. Their program, at UC, is very difficult but she did well and now knows what it is like to work 50 - 60 hours per week nonstop.

Users who are viewing this thread