Accidental Downshift help!

haVesoV777

Established Member
So long story short, I'm at about 6.8k in 4th gear doing around 100mph IIRC. On my way up to 5th, I went to 3rd instead. There was no lock out of any sort, it went in so smooth as if it fell right into 5th. My MGW is about 2 weeks old and the spring is VERY tight. Car jerked forward very strong and I popped it into neutral immediately. In that split second I saw the tacho was past the 8k . Whole thing lasted for like 2-3 seconds. Any advice as far as what I can check for mechanically? Or should I just brush it off.. car felt completely normal afterwards, went through all the gears and even popped the hood to listen and there was no ticking. It seemed as if it didn't even happen.

To those who are planning on leaving the "learn how to drive" comments, my response in advance is thanks for your help I think you relieved my concerns! I googled for answers before posting but the best I could find were on BMWs and S2Ks. Thanks in advance guys! I know I can find some reputable help here!

burke985

Established Member
Brush it off its fine , just gotta shove it a little to the right a little more when shifting to 5th. I've done this before with the Tri-ax shifter

haVesoV777

Established Member
Brush it off its fine , just gotta shove it a little to the right a little more when shifting to 5th. I've done this before with the Tri-ax shifter

I'm just being super paranoid about it for some reason especially since I'm going to be getting it tuned soon. This was the first time anything like this has happened, you think it's fine that it revved up that high?

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I've done that a few times, the stock shifter is goofy and sometimes doesn't go where I want it too. Just seat time is all that is needed to get used to the goofyness. I would assume the MGW feels a lot different than stock and you might still be compensating for the stocker? Not really a learn how to drive. I've been driving manuals for a while and this one, 2 and a half years later, still makes me look like an idiot sometimes. I am looking to get an MGW at some point, but might just settle for the barton 2 post as a temp solution as I looked like a complete fool twice last night drag racing because the car refused to let me into second at 7800 RPMs.

Only way I would have been concerned would have been for you to go straight into 3rd like that and then go WOT not paying attention. If the car would even let you.

nonliberal

Established Member
If it's acting fine now with no problems then its fine. Don't worry about it.
I have found on all the manuals I have ever driven that the easiest way to insure it never happens again is to shift with an open hand straight forward and straight back. The tranny will send it where it needs to go.

hand-filer

Established Member
The MGW has a strong center return spring. That's why it's virtually impossible to miss a 2-3 shift.
On the 1-2 shift apply a bit of left side load to compensate for the spring.
On the 5-6 shift apply some right side load for the same reason.
It'll all be good then.

haVesoV777

Established Member
I've done that a few times, the stock shifter is goofy and sometimes doesn't go where I want it too. Just seat time is all that is needed to get used to the goofyness. I would assume the MGW feels a lot different than stock and you might still be compensating for the stocker? Not really a learn how to drive. I've been driving manuals for a while and this one, 2 and a half years later, still makes me look like an idiot sometimes. I am looking to get an MGW at some point, but might just settle for the barton 2 post as a temp solution as I looked like a complete fool twice last night drag racing because the car refused to let me into second at 7800 RPMs.

I currently have the MGW on and the return spring is very stiff thats why i had trouble pushing right to go to 5th. The stocker is very flimsy you can do it with a pinky. My main concern was compression of the engine because it got revved past 8k

Only way I would have been concerned would have been for you to go straight into 3rd like that and then go WOT not paying attention. If the car would even let you.

I sh!t myself once I heard it rev that high and just threw it into neutral so I think I might be okay as far as what you're saying goes..

never had this problem with my A6.

sorry , sometimes its just too easy...:beer:

I would have loved an A6 if my intentions were to drag the car, but I was originally looking to road race/auto-x from day one and I can't really afford tranny swaps :shrug: to each their own! :beer:

If it's acting fine now with no problems then its fine. Don't worry about it.
I have found on all the manuals I have ever driven that the easiest way to insure it never happens again is to shift with an open hand straight forward and straight back. The tranny will send it where it needs to go.

Yeah I agree with the technique you're suggesting, I need to practice a bit more as far as hand positioning goes and I'm even considering a new shift ball after this incident. My current ones a bit bulky and I can't get a good feel when rowing through gears. But it's very comfortable when cruising

The MGW has a strong center return spring. That's why it's virtually impossible to miss a 2-3 shift.
On the 1-2 shift apply a bit of left side load to compensate for the spring.
On the 5-6 shift apply some right side load for the same reason.
It'll all be good then.

I get what you mean, and I've also heard that the return spring opens up after like a 1000 miles? But yeah I'm going to try what you guys are suggesting, I just wanted to know if I caused any mechanical damage or what not because I still need a bit more time to get used to the shifter :beer:

implosive

Established Member
My friend did this to my last car. It was a civic si. Scanned the computer with a friends scanner at honda and it had an over rev code, looked into it further and it said my engine hit a max rpm of 11,350ish (can't remember the exact number). 2 weeks later I put a turbo kit on it and it made 450whp. 2 years later sold the car and the kid has 100k miles on the stock motor with 9psi.

Basically, your fine.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
My friend did this to my last car. It was a civic si. Scanned the computer with a friends scanner at honda and it had an over rev code, looked into it further and it said my engine hit a max rpm of 11,350ish (can't remember the exact number). 2 weeks later I put a turbo kit on it and it made 450whp. 2 years later sold the car and the kid has 100k miles on the stock motor with 9psi.

Basically, your fine.

11K rpm...on a civic...lol if that thing was fine, the stang sure is :p

haVesoV777

Established Member
Haha you guys are great! Thanks for the reassurance everyone, I'll probably end up doing a compression test soon just to be on the safe side! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread