Accufab is worth some power, 03 Vs 03!

trey193

Established Member
We did some street racing last night, I raced another buddy of mine in his 03 his mods are Amazon Racing cold air kit and Accufab throttle body with inlet thats it and my only mod is a drop in K&N, we ran from a dead stop a couple o times, I would get out a ways and then by the end of 3rd here he comes and would go by easily through 4th, evidentally the cold air coupled with the throttle body are doing something thats for sure, does this sound about right I would say he has an honest 25-30rwhp on me?? Comments are welcome!! Let the mods begin!!!

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I agree. I just put mine on yesturday and I can feel a difference, so it has to be at least 10-15rwhp. I am hoping for closer to 20.

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I could definitely feel a better throttle response. I dynoed car immediately after putting it on with the mods below and only picked up 2 HP. I'm wondering if the computer needed more time to adjust to the new set up.

wuplash

Established Member
Originally posted by trey193
We did some street racing last night, I raced another buddy of mine in his 03 his mods are Amazon Racing cold air kit and Accufab throttle body with inlet thats it and my only mod is a drop in K&N, we ran from a dead stop a couple o times, I would get out a ways and then by the end of 3rd here he comes and would go by easily through 4th, evidentally the cold air coupled with the throttle body are doing something thats for sure, does this sound about right I would say he has an honest 25-30rwhp on me?? Comments are welcome!! Let the mods begin!!!

trey.yes that was fun last night.i was hoping for a rematch against that blue modded ls1 z28 the one we ran several months ago which at that time was my first race in the 03.that race at least taught me to shift at 6,000 now instead of getting so close to the rev limiter.after last night i'am feeling itchy for some more mods.speed baby i need more speed the kind that makes the seat tracks beg for mercy:burnout:

OverToad

Established Member
Thinking out loud here......

Could it be that, while the actual power increases are no more than 10/10 max, the throttle response, which doesn't actually create more power, does make the car quicker because of what it is?
This is in the same line of thinking of tires: Slicks won't give you more power, but will increase performance........

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
I agree with overtoad, I think it acts like gears... hear me out... the gears don't add hp but it goes through the gears quicker thus making it faster, the TB might only add 10 hp but the throttle response is like the quicker power band with gears, making it quicker even with minimal hp gains. From what I know, more hp with a tb will come with mods- pulley, chip etc
Trey193, when did you get your car, I havent seen you around here before except for Saturday night.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Another thing to consider would be the power curve vs. the power peak.

You may have only gained x hp at peak, but you might have gained more down low or up high, or both. Thus the quickness of the car has increased.

trey193

Established Member
Dubs I just got my car last weekend, I used to have a 12 second 93 Cobra, I have been around the E-ville street scene for a long time, U need to bring down your vert sometime for a weekend of fun! Later All!!

SVTdubs

Established Member
Originally posted by trey193
Dubs I just got my car last weekend, I used to have a 12 second 93 Cobra, I have been around the E-ville street scene for a long time, U need to bring down your vert sometime for a weekend of fun! Later All!!

oh the SVT Contour can hold its own...lol

I would have to drive 600 miles round trip if I were to bring the Cobra down here. I only have 3k miles on it and I don't want to put that many miles on it. Maybe I can get a bunch of 03 owners from back home to meet all of you guys somewhere in between.

Do you know who had that Redfire 03 Cobra with the clear taillights?:xpl:

trey193

Established Member
Yeah the clear tailights were wrong!! I am wanting to trade my 03 Tailights for 01, so if you know anyone up for it I am!! Later Trey

SVTdubs

Established Member
I was going to do the same thing. I had a 99 Electric Green Cobra and I love those taillights. See you around

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So the Accufab TB will work as effectively on a relatively stock motor and a motor with pulley and chip changes? Mine is relatively stock but this TB has me interested. Comments?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Bob- so far the results have varied. But in my opinion, you will want a TB if you are putting on a pulley. Also IMO, you will see gains with a TB on a mostly stock motor. So I say go for it, I don't think you will be dissapointed. Then, when you get the pulley on you will already have the TB.

OverToad

Established Member
From everything I've seen over the past several months Bob, it looks like you'll pick up something on a stock motor, but since a car that's heavily modded needs more air, it does stand to reason that a modded engine would benefit more from the TB.

One more thing to think about Bob. When I originally got the car, and talked to my buddy service advisor about mods, it went pretty much like this:

"CAI?" :thumbsup:
"Exhaust?" :thumbsup:
"Throttle body?" :nono:
"pulley?" :nono:
"chip?" :nono: :nono:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
toad-- I figured the TB would be void. But it really doesnt matter because thats not going to hurt your car, also, the install is literally a 10 min job once you have done it before. So I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
My service advisor was OK with the thottle body, it's mostly asthetic afterall.

"CAI?" :thumbsup:
"Exhaust?" :thumbsup:
"Throttle body?" :thumbsup:
"pulley?" :nono:
"chip?" :nono:

OverToad

Established Member
Kev, agreed :thumbsup:

I only mentioned it because Bob and I have swapped some messages through PM, and one of his reasons for doing some of the things to his car involves what's good or bad for the warranty.

However, with that said, you are completely correct :) The only necessary thing is a voltage meter, but beyond that, even a clutz like me can do a TB ;-)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good point about the warrantee. I have a call in to my friendly sales manager to see if a TB is a "friendly" mod. Hope so!!

Users who are viewing this thread