Action camera owners, I'm going nuts with all these reviews...

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Plain and simple, will I regret buying a Contour at a discount instead of a GoPro at full price. I will probably use this thing like handful of times per year and mostly for training purposes at work. I'm sure I'll put it on my car for a few fun trips, but I don't think that trend will last for me.
I've read every review I can find, but there all seemed either extremely biased or contradictory.

So if I can get a Roam2 for like $150-$180, will I wish I got the +2 or even a GoPro later on?

tw0scoops

Established Member
I'd say, you would regret it. I have one, and while it's not a bad camera, the company is out of business. So forget contacting customer service or tech support anymore. Just get a gopro. For an extra 50 bucks or whatever, it's worth the piece of mind that if something goes wrong with it, you'll have a company you can still go to for support.

EDIT - Actually this article says they're back in business after abruptly closing their doors...

http://www.photographybay.com/2014/01/09/contour-is-back-in-the-action-cam-business/

I'd still go with a go pro, I'd prefer a more stable company. The only plus of the contour over the go pro I think is the lack of the toaster look strapped to you. Although since everyone has it now, it doesn't seem as strange looking.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
There's a guy on here selling a gopro 3 black for like 350, and for another 50 or something you get a white edition camera if i'm not mistaken...hold on lemme find the link.

Its two cameras for like 400ish.

I Love my gopro, great for shooting fun runs.

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Yeah woot is actually what made me think about buying the Contour. They are back in business, the CEO and founder actually stepped down and that's why the company closed, but apparently a new executive stepped into the CEO spot and is touting new and improved products coming soon.
I like the shape and size of the Contour for use at work (it would be mounted to a mollie vest or ballistic helmet).

Thanks for the info guys, keep the comments coming if you have personal experience with any of them.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I used to love Woot. I don't even go there now that Amazon bought them. The deals just aren't near as good.

I love my Hero 3+ Slivers. I did not go for the black because I don't need 4k res. The latest Hero 3+ Silver does much better in low light than the old cameras. For $299 it's hard to beat. I got lucky and got $100 off at their Sema booth. They have a WiFi phone app. So you preview the shot in your phone after mounting the camera. You can stop or start recording from your phone too. For best battery life I turn off the camera's Wifi after I have verified I have the view I want.

The Drift camera would be one to consider too. http://driftinnovation.com/

Here are some vids from my 3+ for you to check out.
http://youtu.be/uzLCRtMy3ug
http://youtu.be/9I2WBJTQ_gg
http://youtu.be/e2_3Yvove5E

Last edited:

matthayn

COBRO TO 5.BRO
Established Member
I've been using an original Roam for a couple years now, and it has been an awesome camera.

Myself and a friend enjoy making hunting videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/ROAMPOV) and he uses a GoPro HD Hero 2. EVERY time we go on a hunt and use the cameras for more than an hour or so, his starts dying (freezing temps don't help). Also if it starts raining he has to bust out the waterproof case. The Roam models are waterproof and mine has never gotten close to dying even after hours and hours in the field turning it on and off etc...

Here's my .02 on the benefits of each

Contour
Battery life
Ease of use (one simple on/off switch)
Waterproof without a case (Roam models)
Rotational lens (you will absolutely love this after you start using it)

GoPro
Picture quality is slightly better
Features and ability to switch video/picture modes on the fly
Audio quality is better

I think I read that the Roam2 is 720p 60fps equipped which is most likely what you'll want. The original Roam is 1080p but only 30fps, and I wish I had the 60fps option.

I spend hours editing both the GoPro and Contour footage, both are nice, just depends how you'll be using it.

JustaGT5408

Established Member
I just got a GoPro Hero 3 Silver earlier this year and love it. The camera itself is amazing and the features are very nice. The Wifi availability is my favorite, you can literally control everything the camera can do by a GoPro app for smartphones. That has been really nice when the camera is mounted on the outside of the car and you don't want to have to edit out tons of idle time.

matthayn

COBRO TO 5.BRO
Established Member
Does the contour have as many mounting options?

Probably not quite as many as GoPro, but the rotating lens help make up for that.

I just saw where you will be mounting to your chest/vest or helmet. GoPro makes a solid chest strap mount that might be right for you.

^ I agree with JustaGT that the Wifi feature is very nice!

Cobra-O

Established Member
I've got a little different review for you regarding the GoPro. We mounted 3 GP3 Black editions to a crash test and ran them at 250 frames per second (as high as they would go with the lowest resolution setting). The results were nothing short of awesome. Same cameras were run through at least 4-5 crash tests of 35+mph and held up perfectly.

Biggest problem I have with the GP is the battery life, and I've heard that has been addressed with the 3+ model.

Deric

Established Member
Cobra-O, I get about 1:30 with my 3+ Black edition when recording any resolution at 60 fps. I wish it was at least double that. I wouldnt mind having a larger camera if it was because of a larger battery.

Cobra-O

Established Member
Cobra-O, I get about 1:30 with my 3+ Black edition when recording any resolution at 60 fps. I wish it was at least double that. I wouldnt mind having a larger camera if it was because of a larger battery.

That is about twice the amount of time I get with my original GP. We have GP3 at work and those are good for maybe an hour on a fully charged, fresh battery.

The other great thing about the GP is the time lapse still photos, taken at 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 seconds apart. I don't know if the knock offs have that option, but I've found myself using that a lot.

Good addition to the later model GP is the option to have a narrow, regular, or wide field of view. My GP1 will only shoot in wide. I need a new GP3+!

silverstang23

Established Member
GoPro. But wait until the end of the summer. There is a new one coming out that will blow the existing models and the competition out of the water

Users who are viewing this thread