Actions have consequences in Colorado?

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
My parents paid me almost nothing to work at the shop, and I think (if I remember correctly) for shoveling every day I got 20 bucks a month for the little old lady down the block. Besides that, I had school work to worry about. That's more important than work at that kid's age.

Maybe the mom isn't perfect, but it wasn't her getting them evicted in the middle of winter. It was her son. Can you say at the age of 13 you never did anything wrong? I sure can't.

I actually do feel bad for them. She may have had past charges, but that doesn't mean she or her kids deserve to be homeless during winter.

I see where you're coming from. I won't pretend to know anything about your life but I have had to deal with an endless amount of people similar to this mom in the video so I'm less receptive to feeling sympathetic for her.

All my friends whose family owned a businesses got "paid" like you did. Working for family definitely has it's downsides. I know that from my own experience, higher expectations and less pay. When your kids get older keep in mind studies show students who work part time tend to do better in school, the cut off for that is about 20 hours.

Back to the family getting evicted, I think it's unfortunate that in this instance the whole group gets kicked out of the apartment but they can't be exempt from the extra rules you have to follow when the taxpayers are covering most of your rent. I would bet that landlord didn't want the murderer husband coming back when he gets out and took this chance to get rid of them. I hope that this somehow impacts the kids positively in the long run. Maybe they'll strive to own a home they can't get kicked out of. I get the idea behind the action, living in section 8 is shitty and in order to keep it as decent as possible a residence housing someone committing crime is cleared for a more worthy applicant. You asked if I did anything wrong at that age. Of course I did. Anything worthy of a misdemeanor? No.

"Maybe the mom isn't perfect." Based on the history posted I think she is not only not perfect but an unfit parent. That really irks me, meth user with a record who's married to a murderer in prison and can't support herself is allowed to have 3 kids in her care. People who aren't able to take care of themselves shouldn't be allowed to have children in the first place. But since you can't stop that from happening they at least shouldn't be ones who get to raise them. Families are shipping kids in from other countries to adopt when there is plenty of prime candidates on the home turf. It's such a complicated issue that isn't being dealt with properly, and most people aren't exposed to it enough to know just how big of a problem it is. Out of sight out of mind.

Last edited:

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I see where you're coming from. I won't pretend to know anything about your life but I have had to deal with an endless amount of people similar to this mom in the video so I'm less receptive to feeling sympathetic for her.

All my friends whose family owned a businesses got "paid" like you did. Working for family definitely has it's downsides. I know that from my own experience, higher expectations and less pay. When your kids get older keep in mind studies show students who work part time tend to do better in school, the cut off for that is about 20 hours.

Back to the family getting evicted, I think it's unfortunate that in this instance the whole group gets kicked out of the apartment but they can't be exempt from the extra rules you have to follow when the taxpayers are covering most of your rent. I would bet that landlord didn't want the murderer husband coming back when he gets out and took this chance to get rid of them. I hope that this somehow impacts the kids positively in the long run. Maybe they'll strive to own a home they can't get kicked out of. I get the idea behind the action, living in section 8 is shitty and in order to keep it as decent as possible a residence housing someone committing crime is cleared for a more worthy applicant. You asked if I did anything wrong at that age. Of course I did. Anything worthy of a misdemeanor? No.

"Maybe the mom isn't perfect." Based on the history posted I think she is not only not perfect but an unfit parent. That really irks me, meth user with a record who's married to a murderer in prison and can't support herself is allowed to have 3 kids in her care. People who aren't able to take care of themselves shouldn't be allowed to have children in the first place. But since you can't stop that from happening they at least shouldn't be ones who get to raise them. Families are shipping kids in from other countries to adopt when there is plenty of prime candidates on the home turf. It's such a complicated issue that isn't being dealt with properly, and most people aren't exposed to it enough to know just how big of a problem it is. Out of sight out of mind.

Do you remember where you saw that study? Genuinely interested in reading it.

The thing is, though, that (like someone else posted) section 8 housing has background checks etc. to keep from housing criminals. Because she has a past doesn't mean she is still doing those things. Just because she made mistakes previously doesn't mean she's a bad mom now, and it doesn't mean she should have her children taken away. Of course it's possible that I'm wrong, but everyone seems to be awfully judgmental. Not every person who is low income is a piece of shit. Sure the kid should be punished, there's no doubt about that, but kicking the family out (in winter!) because the child messed up is not right. The child wasn't the applicant. The child didn't have to sign the lease stating the strict rules etc. If it was the mom stealing then I'd be more inclined to agree that she knew the rules and still broke the law, but this kid is 13 and obviously didn't think the entire family would pay the price for his screw up.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
l. Not every person who is low income is a piece of shit.

In all honesty about 10% of the people living in Section 8 housing are complete pieces of shit. This has been my experience. Keep in mind Section 8 housing largely consists of Seniors which have nothing more then their SS income.

It takes on average 2-3 years to even get into a Section 8 Housing community due to extensive waitlists. To qualify for Section 8 housing you must be below 50% of median income for the area where you apply. In DC those income limits are as follows for 2013.

1 person - $37,650
2 People - $43,000
3 People - $48,400
4 People - $53,750

Low income for 4 people could be between $0.00 and $53,700 in the DC Region. With that said I am pretty sure many on this site would be considered low income in my area. Low income status is very broad so one should be aware that there is a pretty broad range.

In Senior Section 8 Housing it's not odd, or out of the ordinary, to have a resident with $750K sitting in a savings account and remain eligible for Section 8 Housing. Rules are written that you can only count income from assets and if you are earning 1% interest on a 1 Million in a checking account your income is only $10,000.

So we have plenty of seniors out there, mainly women that never worked a day in her life that end up in section 8 housing because they have no income. Yet, they sold their house and are just sitting on the money.

Moral - You can be a millionaire and live in Section 8 Housing.

61mmstang94

Established Member
How can you pinpoint what a deadbeat looks like? You have no idea what her background is like. Maybe she was married and the father left her to support all the kids on her own? Maybe not, but god damn some of you people are judgmental.

You were making money at the age of 8 huh? Could you afford shoes when you were 13? I sure as hell couldn't and I worked for neighbors shoveling their sidewalks and for my parents at their machine shop. If the kid was 17 then yeah, he should have been out working. But at 13 he's not even old enough to get a job. If they live in low income housing do you really think the neighbors have the money to pay him to do things like shovel?

I agree about being judgmental and how stupid they are. I think I agree with most of your post. But there has to be a lesson taught to the kid, though I don't think making his family leave their house is the lesson that needs to be taught. I mean how would any of these self righteous SVTP members feel if their kid did something bad and they got kicked out of their residence? They'd be bitching about injustice!

Seems like the community obviously has a crime problem and they just take a zero tolerance rule against it. But maybe they should kick out only the people who commit crimes and not people who haven't committed any but just because they're associated with them.

Users who are viewing this thread