Actions have consequences in Colorado?

oldmodman

Established Member
Except for a few years during high school and college I have worked all my life.

At twelve I had a one boy company. I cleaned the bottoms of boats in Marina del Rey while they were in the water. I also put fliers (not mine) on almost every boat there for a marine supply store. I got paid 2 pennies a flier.

Didn't spend the money on shoes. I bought parts to hop up the engine for my Hodaka.

That kid could have found something to do to earn a few bucks. But culture has told him it's easier to steal what he wants.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
You watched the video? There are certain mannerisms that I find go hand in hand with other qualities. I see some of them in her. The hand tattoos, gaunt face and not all the teeth being present doesn't help either, maybe a little drug use too? To think she's a good hardworking person down on her luck would be very unlikely imo.

A cursory search of public records found some interesting facts. A few quick highlights:

February 2007-Arrested on misdemeanor charges of failing to appear in court and being a fugitive from another jurisdiction.

March 2007- She was arrested on a host of charges including motor-vehicle theft, driving under the influence of drugs, driving with a denied driver’s license and careless driving

Arrested again in Jan 2008 for violating probation.

And to further their troubles, mommy married a convicted murder by the name of Jason Garner. Convicted in '04 of murder in the 1st degree. Still in jail too.

This complex is also a 'section 8' type place. Found it on a couple websites that she waited 16 months to get a appartment there and she pays $154 a month plus utilities. Her own mother also confirmed to various news outlets Abbey was/is a methamphetamine user.

Even more ironic, it's reported on some other news sites that there has not been an eviction notice filed with the local courts and the manager of the property has come out and said he knows nothing about this whole deal.

Maybe it's an attention grab to get some extra cash? Apparently there is a 'campaign' to raise $5000 to keep them from having to go to a homeless shelter.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
A cursory search of public records found some interesting facts. A few quick highlights:

February 2007-Arrested on misdemeanor charges of failing to appear in court and being a fugitive from another jurisdiction.

March 2007- She was arrested on a host of charges including motor-vehicle theft, driving under the influence of drugs, driving with a denied driver’s license and careless driving

Arrested again in Jan 2008 for violating probation.

And to further their troubles, mommy married a convicted murder by the name of Jason Garner. Convicted in '04 of murder in the 1st degree. Still in jail too.

This complex is also a 'section 8' type place. Found it on a couple websites that she waited 16 months to get a appartment there and she pays $154 a month plus utilities. Her own mother also confirmed to various news outlets Abbey was/is a methamphetamine user.

Even more ironic, it's reported on some other news sites that there has not been an eviction notice filed with the local courts and the manager of the property has come out and said he knows nothing about this whole deal.

Maybe it's an attention grab to get some extra cash? Apparently there is a 'campaign' to raise $5000 to keep them from having to go to a homeless shelter.

Yep that sounds about right to me. Thanks for posting that!

SVT4ME

Established Member
Nobody cares about the consequences til they get caught. Don't do the crime if you don't want the time, on the street!

GokartMozart315

Established Member
this is interesting. the mom is obv a deadbeat: if she could pay for those hand tats (ugh) and the nail polish you see she's wearing, couldn't she have bought her kid shoes? and why didn't she do the stealing herself? if my kids were really in danger i'd feel obligated to steal for them.

on the other hand, look how sorry that kid is, and how articulately he apologizes. if it were me, and it were possible, i'd kick mom out in the cold and leave the kids in the apt. junior's learned his lesson, but mom is too busy blaming herself. did she even yell at him for what he did? doubt it

end of the day, contract is a contract. mom should have made damn sure her kids were terrified to violate the law

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Family gets kicked out in the cold for the holidays | News - Home

You watched the video? There are certain mannerisms that I find go hand in hand with other qualities. I see some of them in her. The hand tattoos, gaunt face and not all the teeth being present doesn't help either, maybe a little drug use too? To think she's a good hardworking person down on her luck would be very unlikely imo.

You were shoveling and working at a machine shop and didn't make enough to buy a pair of shoes? What did you do with the money you made? I won't pretend I grew up piss poor, broke yes. My parents would not go for an allowance so at the first opportunity I got a lawn to mow when I was 8. I was making enough money to buy a pair of shoes when I was 13. I bought a car when I was 14. By then I was still mowing that first lawn and doing pre-fab for a contractor on a Saturday or Sunday or both.

My parents paid me almost nothing to work at the shop, and I think (if I remember correctly) for shoveling every day I got 20 bucks a month for the little old lady down the block. Besides that, I had school work to worry about. That's more important than work at that kid's age.

Maybe the mom isn't perfect, but it wasn't her getting them evicted in the middle of winter. It was her son. Can you say at the age of 13 you never did anything wrong? I sure can't.

I actually do feel bad for them. She may have had past charges, but that doesn't mean she or her kids deserve to be homeless during winter.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
FWIW I evicted 11 families last Thursday. Dont pay the rent, get kicked out.

In this situation a landlord can file eviction for this but it does not mean the Judge will sign off on it. Our policies for affordable housing require an annual criminal check. They dont pass, out they go. Seems the mother would be able to stay if she found alternative housing for the son. However, based on the above query she should never have been allowed in a Section 8 community because Section 8 requires a backround check.

Either way, despite what the lease reads a judge will make the decision and in my experience they will not get kicked out.

Last edited:

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member
some people on here are to damn judgmental. lots of holier than thou hard asses

should the kid be punished? of course, but the whole family should not be left out of the streets during winter because of this. that punishment is petty and unjustifiable, if rent is paid up

Last edited:

dsg04MACHone

Established Member

should the kid be punished? of course, but the whole family should not be left out of the streets during winter because of this. that punishment is petty and unjustifiable, if rent is paid up

Unfortunately most of SVTP is full of idiots that are that way. People are quick to judge when they have no idea what is going on in that families life. Shame their ignorance isn't spread only on this site and no where else.:nonono:

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member

The property owner has a right to not let criminals live in their home, just as you or I can refuse admittance to our own homes to people we know can't be trusted. Call it what you want- I stand behind the landlord's decision. The tennents knew the policies when they signed the lease.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
The property owner has a right to not let criminals live in their home, just as you or I can refuse admittance to our own homes to people we know can't be trusted. Call it what you want- I stand behind the landlord's decision. The tennents knew the policies when they signed the lease.

Yes but don't you think that because he's 13 there should be a little leniency? Or even better, a clause saying that if he goes through some type of probation or classes or something of the like?

Don't get me wrong, the kid should be accountable and so should his mother, but evicting them over a pair of shoes being stolen is a little much. If it were drug trafficking or something violent, this would be more acceptable. However, lots and LOTS of kids screw up in their teens, and turn out to be socially responsible adults.

As much as we would like to think kids will obey their parents will all of the time, it's just not true.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Again, if she is the head of household then she should never been able to lease under section 8 rules. However, when this goes to a Judge it will all get thrown out.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member

Good observations. In addition to resembling a meth user, she has the striking persona of what a degenerate tends to look like. First impressions can never be changed and my first reaction was one low class.

You were making money at the age of 8 huh? Could you afford shoes when you were 13? I sure as hell couldn't and I worked for neighbors shoveling their sidewalks and for my parents at their machine shop.

As I look back I must have done alright. When I was ten (in 1986) I purchased my own Nintendo Entertainment System thanks to doing things similar in nature to you. I saved my bread and bought the primo model. Your quoted comments really opened my eyes to my success. Thanks.

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member

yes i know. i rent out 2 houses of my own. but i am not such a cold hearted ass that if something like this happened i wouldn't kick them all out. its my OPINION that i think the landlord is an ass. a child made a mistake, one that many people that age make, and the family should not be punished.

pickup_man06

fast is never fast enough
Established Member
low income doesnt necessarily mean having a job. theres SSI, disability, welfare...you name it. not too long ago, a customer of mine was wanting to buy a more expensive car, right now their payments are 225. what they wanted would have put them at 450 monthly. their total monthly obama income was just over 700. its a disability check from something that has to do with being a slow learner...i asked her why dont she just go find a job and she could double her income and afford something better....she responds " a job? me? thats too much like work. I would lose my benefits." shit like this just gets me.

thats total horseshit. this is why we pay taxes?! bullshit, if im gonna hand my money out to idiots, at least lemme hand pick my own idiots to somewhat deserve it

She looks like a deadbeat to me. And is going to raise at least 1 more it looks like, more likely 2 or 3 or 4. Idiots are reproducing faster than the smart people.

I was making money since I was 8, it shouldn't be that hard to find some kind work at 13. He must get his work ethic from his mom.

unfotunately stupid people are allowed to reproduce too, and frequently do it :(
living in a low income family isnt always bad. you learn the value of a dollar and can figure out how to do something with nothing. thats how i roll. i started driving a ford tempo, and have worked my way up to having a mystichrome, a fast truck, and two 1000 cc bikes. all on less than most folks make. it takes hard work, not stealing from the nearby shoe store.

I'm glad the landlord is sticking to their policy. I grew up single parent and had very little spare money. It taught me to bust my ass and work, not steal what I want.

amen to that brother. hard work is good for you, and teaches you things the middle and upper class may never know :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread