Actual Displacement?

Lethal302

Roar
Established Member
This is probably a dumb question, but I've never owned a supercharged car before and was curious. I know the 13/14s have a 5.8L with a 2.3L supercharger on it. Does that mean its a total of 8.1L, or is the 2.3L supercharger included in the 5.8L? Surprised I didn't know the answer when someone asked me that

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the size of the blower doesnt get added in to the engine size. Its a 5.8 liter engine with a 2.3 liter super charger on top.

Lethal302

Roar
Established Member
the size of the blower doesnt get added in to the engine size. Its a 5.8 liter engine with a 2.3 liter super charger on top.

Ok that's what I said to him and he asked if that meant it was 8.1L. I said I didn't think so but I'll admit I was definitely thinking about it for a few minutes after I answered haha. Thanks for the reassurance

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Actually, what 2.3 liters means it that's the quantity of air volume a full rotation of the rotors will move. By increasing volumetric efficiency beyond 100%, a supercharger has the effect of acting like a larger naturally aspirated engine, even doubling it in the higher boost applications (out of pump gas territory).

rwboring

Established Member
that is the kind of question that (if coming from someone over the age of 8 asks it) just kinda leaves your mouth open and throws you off enough where its hard to answer

there is actually someone i work with that specifically asks questions like that to try and stump you... i just kinda shake my head and walk away...

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
I always tell them it is 355 cubic inches. Then again, I'm old school!

Ford did make 7.1L (428/429 cid), 7.6L (460 cid), and 8.8L (534 cid) engines a while back.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Correct as above, the engine displaces 5.8L of air and the supercharger displaces 2.3L of air independently.
As a generality, on a boosted engine, approximately 15psi of boost will double the horsepower of the engine (atmospheric pressure 14.7psi x2).
-J

Bad Company

Established Member
The engine is 354.3973 Cubic Inch Displacement, which is 5807.5321 Cubic Centimeters or slightly over 5.8L. Ford rounded up to a 355 CI or 5.8L in size in their advertising

Now guys like me that are installing sleeves in the blocks are actually losing a few cubic inches in displacement. We are 350.555 CID or 5744.5782 Cubic Centimeters or 5.7L

The Supercharger as explained is adding air by volume. For every single revolution of the SC it produces in your case 2.3 Liters of air by volume. Think of the supercharger as nothing more then a pump. Standard engines have to use manifold vacuum to fill the cylinders. You are using a pump to over fill the cylinders. In your case the pump is only capable of making 2.3L of air per revolution. Install a bigger pump and you can force more air into the engine. The more air you can force into the engine, the more Hp it will produce regardless of the engine's actual size

Users who are viewing this thread