Adjustable Pivot ball measurements?

04cobrawhine

Established Member
I'm putting a t56 magnum in my 03 with a centerforce dyad clutch. Took out my old ram twin disc, switched over the adjustable pivot ball and reinstalled everything. There's about an inch of play before the tob hits the pp fingers and no pedal so obviously the ball needs to be adjusted. Is there a way to measure something to get you in the range? Or Is it all just trial and error? Thanks

ctgreddy

Established Member
on these cars trial and error is best. There is a way tho. With the clutch on the engine, put a straight edge on the fingers and measure from the straight edge to the engine block. Then put the clutch fork/bellhousing/tob on the trans, put the clutch fork at the position you think is best in the opening as to when you think it should first contact the fingers, and put a straight edge on the bellhousing and measure in to the tob. Adjust the pivot ball until those two measurements are close to each other and that should get you were you need to be.

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
im in the same boat. I just installed my magnum and i have the fire wall adjuster almost all the way out. Im thinking i need to adjust the pivot stud

oldmodman

Established Member
I remember reading an exact how to on Modfords. i will try to find it. The pictures and write up made it sound fairly easy to do.

But since I already have my DYAD clutch and am hoping to get a Magnum, I do have one question.

Where did you end up getting your magnum T-56 transmissions and were you able to get a decent price.

The best price I have able to find recently is $2772.00

I am afraid the days of being able to get one drop shipped for $2471.83 are long gone.

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
Just put it in, check the clearance, pull it, repeat until it's right. Took me 4 tries to get it perfect.

How much clearance should there be and where do you measure from?

I didn't realize that i was on the middle hook of my quadrant, all good now it seems

04cobrawhine

Established Member
Well got it taken care of.... I hope. I ended up making the pivot ball about 3/8" LONGER then the stock one. It seems like it's in the correct geometry that way. Waiting for the drive shaft back to put it in and see what happens

ttk53

Established Member
I put the bell housing on messure from bell to clutch fingers, then i put the fork on the trans out of the car and adjust the pivot ball to get a good setup, by messuring from TOB to trans bellhousing mating surface.

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
doing the same. i went 4mm shorter then stock pivot ball with my Mcleod and I'd be damned in i'm about a inch off too with Fore Firewall adjusted all the way out. May just try the stock ball or go slightly past with the adjustable and see how that goes.
magum-t56
mcleod RXT twin
Mcleod Aluminum Flywheel
Mcleod TOB

Ponyracer1

Established Member
Mine took 3 try's. What a PITA. Mine ended up being about 3/8's of an inch shorter. Ended up having to clearance the clutch arm where it contacted the tranny housing. Adjusted so it just touches the fingers with no real preload. Adjuster finished up the cable adjustment, works great!

Users who are viewing this thread