Adjustable pivot ball

EVO ETR03

Topless
Established Member
Ive received all my parts( RXT clutch, spec flywheel face, FRPP TOB, FRPP pilot bearing, and lethal sleeve) There was an issue with shipping my pivot ball and Lethal said Mcleod was going to send it with the clutch but it never came. I am eager to do this install, and the lack of a pivot ball ball has delayed my tear down. Do i definitely need the adjustable pivot ball? The length seems to vary from car to car.

sonic cobra

Established Member
Howdy neighbor! University heights here. Some have said they needed the adjustable pivot ball and others say they did not. I asked Mcleod and they said I didn't need it so it was installed without it. Have about 1000 miles on the RXT and it is awesome! Perfectly streeable yet grabs like crazy.
I think I'm going to love this clutch!

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Do not use an adjustable pivot ball.

Go with an OEM one.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/631628-final-checklist-clutch-job.html

Part # F6ZZ-7B602-A

Your local ford dealer should have it available for under $20 bucks.

..or you can order one from Steve at Tousley. They stock it.

img4846qrr.jpg

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
OP,
When the clutch is installed and the transmission is put back on, the position of the clutch arm relative to the open will determine whether or not the pivot is correct. IMO, with the TOB touching the pressure plate, the clutch arm should be between the center of the opening and the back edge of the opening. If it is too far forward, you'll need a longer pivot. If it's at the back of the opening, you'll need a shorter pivot. Sometimes you can put a washer behind the pivot to make it longer, but iff you need to go shorter, you'll definitely need an adjustable pivot or one which is shorter than stock.

If the clutch arm sits too far forward, you won't have enough room to disengage the clutch fully and the clutch arm will hit the front of the opening.

If the clutch arm sits too far back, the clutch might not completely engage and will slip.

Hope this helps

five 0 ninja

Established Member
OP,
When the clutch is installed and the transmission is put back on, the position of the clutch arm relative to the open will determine whether or not the pivot is correct. IMO, with the TOB touching the pressure plate, the clutch arm should be between the center of the opening and the back edge of the opening. If it is too far forward, you'll need a longer pivot. If it's at the back of the opening, you'll need a shorter pivot. Sometimes you can put a washer behind the pivot to make it longer, but iff you need to go shorter, you'll definitely need an adjustable pivot or one which is shorter than stock.

If the clutch arm sits too far forward, you won't have enough room to disengage the clutch fully and the clutch arm will hit the front of the opening.

If the clutch arm sits too far back, the clutch might not completely engage and will slip.

Hope this helps

Very good answer. I was having a similar issue with my car but my clutch was shot also. Fork was hitting the back of the window. I have to order my clutch yet and Im waiting for my flywheel to come back from mcleod. I will put it back together and see where the fork is located.

OP, you should rip it apart put it back together and see where the fork sits. With some luck you'll be good and you will be done. If it's not positioned properly then you know you need to pull it out and put the adjustable in. Good luck.

Ukfox89

Established Member
Is it possible to remove the pivot ball with out removing the transmission? i have just had hell going through putting everything back together multiply times for Z reasons and really cant stand thinking of taking it apoart again. My clutch fork is hitting the front of the pressure plate and the bolt for the balancer block which is already ground down is also hitting. I can adjust the clutch so it is drivable but it cant stay the way it is. someone said you can get to the pivot ball buy removing the inspection plate, has anyone ever cut theirs so they dont have to remove the transmission just to remove the inspection plate? alot of questions i know but im just really trying to avoid removing the trans again. Thanks Ben

Users who are viewing this thread