Advice for some mufflers with no drone

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have kooks long tube headers with a off rd x pipe (no cats) with roush mufflers it was way too loud but I added two flo-pro twisters in just before my rear end. Car has no drone period can’t even hear the car cruising around 75/80 mph but once u down shift a few gears and it’s hammer time it’s still loud.
Those seem to be a very good option.
Part of the S197 sound issues are the rear mounted mufflers.
I run the complete 3” SW kit and it includes resonators under the cabin but these would probably be a better option, and catch less E85 condensation than the SW retro chambered mufflers (resonators).
-J

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I know the prior owner has the FR mufflers on and put the stock back on and said it was obnoxious. That was with the cats on too.
Bullitt mufflers look too stock to me.
My fear is with stock type mufflers is same issue, I’m gonna blow them out. My stocks are sounding a little tinny already, so I’m sure they are ready to pop

Do you happen to know if it was the ford racing stinger version 49 state legal or the actual KR mufflers?

Have you thought about the 11-12 stock gt500 mufflers? Alot of 11-14 5.0 went with them for the deep sound without the drone.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
My car is a '12, so it's got slightly larger tubing with the 2 3/4" pipes, and I have ARH long tubes with a 3" H pipe. It was way too loud with Borla Tourings. There was no drone and the noise level wasn't that bad at low throttle and cruise, but the loud factor was progressive with the accelerator pedal. I went back with the OEM mufflers before installing a couple of 3" 18" long Vibrant resonators right after the mid pipe. It quieted the noise level enough to go back with the Tourings. It gets a lot of compliments and it's still loud at WOT. I've been considering putting the cut-outs just behind the resonators.

PM-Performance

Established Member
I’ve been there. I made the wife happy and welded stock mufflers back in, then surprised the tuner by still making 1000rwhp thru them.
With 2” headers to 3.5” collectors and 3” pipes to me the stock mufflers are perfect 90% of the time.
For the 10% I added the QTP cutouts.
Nice because you can open them gradually, so even half open may be perfect for the CTSV but when the Redeye guy gets cocky, full open. Cocky goes away then :)
-J

you don’t find the baffles making any rattling noises on yours? Any wotbox use?

blue 07

Established Member
Have you thought of just axel backs ? I bought a set of the new FP ones and they sound awesome. Throaty sound, definitely not obnoxious but loud when you really get on it and no drone at all.

Attachments

• IMG_3578.jpg
    IMG_3578.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3671.jpg
    IMG_3671.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 124

PM-Performance

Established Member
Have you thought of just axel backs ? I bought a set of the new FP ones and they sound awesome. Throaty sound, definitely not obnoxious but loud when you really get on it and no drone at all.

axlebacks is exactly what I am looking at.
07-09 car though, so I do not think quad tips will work well.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Borla Touring axle backs should meet your need. Deep rumble on start up, but no drone at any RPM on my car. Too bad you're so far south of me (Toronto area).....I'm taking mine off this spring and will likely be selling them (putting Bassani's on) .....because I want my car to be louder. LOL!

PM-Performance

Established Member
Borla Touring axle backs should meet your need. Deep rumble on start up, but no drone at any RPM on my car. Too bad you're so far south of me (Toronto area).....I'm taking mine off this spring and will likely be selling them (putting Bassani's on) .....because I want my car to be louder. LOL!

I can always find Bassani cheap, but I hear they drone like crazy

Race Red Boss

Established Member

I'll let you know in about 2 months when I install them. I think a lot depends on your exhaust mods.....mine are mild with hi-flo cats/x-pipe and stock headers. I'll hang onto the Borla Tourings….briefly till I'm sure I like the Bassani's. Let us all know what you end up installing and how it works out.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Im realling thinking I dont want to part with that much money, but the Corsa Sports seem like they will fit the bill.
Anyone with these care to report if the money was well spent?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
you don’t find the baffles making any rattling noises on yours? Any wotbox use?
No rattling noises at all.
I have a WOT box wired in and I intentionally didn’t run it until having the cutouts so not to damage the stock mufflers.
I’m looking forward to using the WOT box this year!
-J

HPLouis

Established Member

I just got the same ones and I love them.

shelbygt500hoss

Established Member
Im realling thinking I dont want to part with that much money, but the Corsa Sports seem like they will fit the bill.
Anyone with these care to report if the money was well spent?
I got Corsa Sports with a 3 inch x pipe. I love the sound it’s the best of both worlds for me, when cruising in 5th and 6th its tame not obnoxious. When you hammer it the car screams. IMO the money was well spent, I personally couldn’t switch to another axleback after having these

PM-Performance

Established Member
I got Corsa Sports with a 3 inch x pipe. I love the sound it’s the best of both worlds for me, when cruising in 5th and 6th its tame not obnoxious. When you hammer it the car screams. IMO the money was well spent, I personally couldn’t switch to another axleback after having these

thanks for confirmation. That’s kind of the feeling I been reading other places.

Radron2626

Established Member

I have the full 3” Bassani header back exhaust, with high flow cats, it’s loud af, but also drones like no other. Drones so bad, the dash and rearview mirror shake louder than anything else in the car.. but it does sound amazing besides that.

MastaAce03

Established Member
Borla Touring mufflers will sound just right. Had them on my 07 before I got my 12. Have them on 12 as well, just with the addition of resonators to calm it down just a touch. Sounded perfect on the 07 without resonators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM-Performance

Established Member
Can you find some Boss 302 side pipes and make them work with your mid pipe?
Even if I could, I would not.
If the side pipes are not routed through the side skirts like the SVO on the SN95, I am not interested in that style. I think they look like garbage

PM-Performance

Established Member
Borla Touring mufflers will sound just right. Had them on my 07 before I got my 12. Have them on 12 as well, just with the addition of resonators to calm it down just a touch. Sounded perfect on the 07 without resonators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get the impression from others that the Tourings are too quiet. Almost stock like.
I am really heavily considering the Corsa Sports, but I am scared to make that investment and realize they are obnoxious. I mean they should be quiet in the car, but not sure I can do that to innocent bystanders. lol

Users who are viewing this thread