Advice needed on mustang this summer

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
oops typo lol

If i could build a cobra with 3,500 + a v6 (3,500) then that would be awesome lol

$32,500*

well it is your money and lack of foresight so do with it what you will. I personally think you're crazy. that kind of coin will get you a very very nice very very low mileage Terminator that will get you in just as much trouble as what you are planning, with money left over to pay your bail.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
well it is your money and lack of foresight so do with it what you will. I personally think you're crazy. that kind of coin will get you a very very nice very very low mileage Terminator that will get you in just as much trouble as what you are planning, with money left over to pay your bail.

LOL this is my whole problem! Buy a terminator orrr build a v6, end up spending more, but in the end have a car that I can proudly know every piece thats on it and done to it is because of me and overall be able to beat many terminators too.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
LOL this is my whole problem! Buy a terminator orrr build a v6, end up spending more, but in the end have a car that I can proudly know every piece thats on it and done to it is because of me and overall be able to beat many terminators too.

well here is a piece of advice. if you are really going to do this .. buy a GT rather than a v6 I think you will wind up saving yourself some money in the long run. and my understanding is that in order to shoehorn a 5.4L into the engine bay you will need to cut the shocktowers as well.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
nope, its a cleannnn swap, im more worried about trying to get the 4v part hooked up and converting the v6 parts of my mustang to 5.4 standards. Only things a GT has is some of the accessories, radiator setup, and rear end. Even with a GT I still need to put a wiring harness in because they are different between the 2v and 4v engines.

I guess I can give credit to ford for this, because they like to make the parts so universal. Take the dash for example, they are completely symmetrical so the same dash is used for right side driving. A lot of parts on the v6 are found on the higher models.

Last edited:

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
a 5.4 will stick up through the hood some also, dont forget that. The engines are taller than a 4.6 I believe. You can make the 2v harness work for the 4v. Ive seen it done numerous times.

Go to www.modularfords.com if you havent yet. There is a TON of info on this same exact subject

f150harley

Established Member
So what Advice do you want? It sounds like your set on this one project and don't want any advice. Best of luck to you and hope nothing goes wrong. At least with a Cobra or Mach 1 you can get a warranty if you buy from a dearler!

WVUAnt

Lets Go!!.....
Established Member
Best advice around. Take that $32,500 and BUY A HOUSE. Cars come and go.

Another possibility is to wait until the housing market turns around and then take out a home equity loan to pay for the mods....write-off interest....

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
a 5.4 will stick up through the hood some also, dont forget that. The engines are taller than a 4.6 I believe. You can make the 2v harness work for the 4v. Ive seen it done numerous times.

Go to www.modularfords.com if you havent yet. There is a TON of info on this same exact subject

Thanks! I didn't know you can make them both work!

The engine is 2 inches wider and about 1.5 inches taller than a normal 4.6. I'm planning on using a cobra R hood (3.5 inch height) if my v6 hood wont work. I was thinking though that theres a possibility that a stock hood would work though since I'm not trying to fit a blower ontop, its just going to have a 1.5 inch intake adapter plus a mach 1 intake. I'm prepared to buy a taller hood though.

So what Advice do you want? It sounds like your set on this one project and don't want any advice. Best of luck to you and hope nothing goes wrong. At least with a Cobra or Mach 1 you can get a warranty if you buy from a dearler!

Advice on, if you were in my shoes. To help, this is pretty much what I'm asking. Would buying a terminator at this time be unwise? Considering gas is increasing and were going into a recession. Same question, just different car.

Best advice around. Take that $32,500 and BUY A HOUSE. Cars come and go.

Another possibility is to wait until the housing market turns around and then take out a home equity loan to pay for the mods....write-off interest....

The average price for a house where I live is around 450k. I'm sure its dropped some though in the past year or two though. Thats the problem. Invest the money (house) or spend the money (car).

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Advice on, if you were in my shoes. To help, this is pretty much what I'm asking. Would buying a terminator at this time be unwise? Considering gas is increasing and were going into a recession. Same question, just different car.
This right here shows that you don't need to be doing this. you think a 5.4L is gonna save you money on gas? (I hope you don't because there is no way that is gonna happen). A terminator will rape you on gas but will do better than the 5.4. I gotta tell you with that much cash .. you really shouldn't be doing this with it. As you say the price of gas (ESP. where you live) is out****ingrageous why use 32k to dig yourself into a hole you will regret the first time you fill the tank?

Frankly buying a terminator OR doing the frankenstein V6 is unwise. Also when you do that V6 swap you do know that, unless you fully disclose to your insurance company what you have done, they will not give you anything close to what you have put into the car. They will give you V6 value.

The average price for a house where I live is around 450k. I'm sure its dropped some though in the past year or two though. Thats the problem. Invest the money (house) or spend the money (car).
I feel you here man but there are other investments that you can do besides a house. That amount of cash will buy you a good size chunk of land out in the country even in NOVA. you could also investing it in something more long term so that when you ARE ready to buy a house you can pull it out and use it then without having to worry about where your down payment is gonna come from. At you age there are LOTs of things to do with the money than buy a decreasing value expense that when it comes right down to it .. is a total waste of money. A FUN waste of money but a waste of money none the less.

f150harley

Established Member
Listen to what everyone is saying. If your worried about GAS prices then dont do it, My Lighting get about 12 MPH. So your 5.4 will get around that. I'm sure the cobra will get better then that.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Ya, I just want to clear something up, I'm not looking for fuel efficiency, I'm worried about spending the money on a car and having the gas prices soar. My question was, is it a good time to buy a terminator? or would that be unwise, because I see my Frankenstein project basically just like buying a terminator.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Ya, I just want to clear something up, I'm not looking for fuel efficiency, I'm worried about spending the money on a car and having the gas prices soar. My question was, is it a good time to buy a terminator? or would that be unwise, because I see my Frankenstein project basically just like buying a terminator.

you are comparing apples and oranges here .. but whatever.

Gas prices are going nowhere but up ... if you are worried in the least about how you are going to pay for gas and insurance ... now is NOT a good time ..

02wingless

ASE Master L1
Established Member
The smartest thing you could do would be to invest that money wisely somewhere else. But, as it goes with a lot of us in this forum, easier to say than do b/c this whole performance car thing is what makes a lot of us keep going. That's why we spend ridiculous money on cars, and waste countless hours reading car mags and forums. I've tried to save money, but it ends up in tools or car parts. People start screaming about gas, so we buy beaters and continue to buy car parts and drive the TOY when we're able to. My dad preached to me since I was fifteen about doing good in school, saving money, go to college, get a white collar job, etc... I flunked ninth grade algebra b/c I couldn't quit reading about the new edge mustangs, long story short I end up turning wrenches for a living and have blown tons of money that I will never see any return from on mustangs and I honestly don't regret it. Now, if you decide to do your 5.4 dohc TT swap into a v6 car and make tons of power and have an awesome street car, I'm sure you'll have a blast doing it and you can honestly say that it is YOUR car. But, like everyone else said already, it's still a v6 when it's time to sell and your feelings will be hurt. If you can afford it, get the terminator. Maybe I'm crazy, but it's just not the same when you ride in a cobra, and then into another mustang. Whether it's stock or modded, a '93 or an '03, there is just something about it that CANNOT be duplicated in another mustang. The 5.4 thing is a great idea, cool, and fun, but IMO you would be more satisfied with the cobra in the end.

03mgmcobra

Established Member
all these guys speak the truth. the 5.4tt swap would be a great accomplishment and fun as hell to do/drive..but little to no return on $ spent (in the end it's still a V-6). terminators will hold their value fairly well i think for years to come. i plan on keeping mine for a while. who knows, maybe in 15 years there won't be rear drive v-8s made anymore due to gas hike, causing all existed cars of this type to be worth some serious coin...kinda what i'm hoping for. idk. but if i were you, i would get a terminator. i did. i do not regret it one bit. even when amount on gas pump lcd slides past $60. i have three mustangs right know...two are going awayfor someone else to play, leaving the term. i will get a turd foreign 4 cyl pickup or something as a dd and have term as a toy. in the end, do what makes you happy. best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread