Advice needed on mustang this summer

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
This is a long story plus kinda a semi life story:

It's 2003. My dads best friend who now lives about 5 hours from us just bought a Mach 1. We were visiting and he took me for a ride. This had been my first ride in a performance car ever. I loved it. I have loved mustangs since that day.

Fast forward some years, its 2005 now. I figured I would need to start saving money if I was ever going to get the mustang... so I started saving...

2006 rolls around - towards the end of the year, I started looking around at what mustang I was actually going to buy. It was a no brainer that I wanted a cobra terminator. It was the top dog, it was the best car ever built.

One of my dads hobby's has been cars, but mainly it has been DIY stuff. He built our house and about 40% of the furniture in it and stuff. When he was a kid, he would build performance cars, drop trannys on his stomach while on his back in the middle of the street etc. So my dad had a 4000 sq ft garage put in and in it we have a car lift, fabrication equipment, sandblasters, parts cleaners, welders, parts bench, etc basically a full shop. Being his son, I've picked up a lot of knowledge about cars and successfully made a project car out of a 92' Jeep this past summer. I rebuilt its engine and lifted it and its great!

After doing a lot of research and buying a lot of books and reading them, I decided that (at the time) if I was going to spend 30-34k for a cobra, I would get more for my money buying a v6 and making it into a cobra. I would save a lot of money in the long run and end up with left over money for mods.

Few more months went by and I have changed my idea again. This is around... august of last year.. I decided that I wanted to build a 5.4 DOHC TT and drop it into a v6. All is going to plan, I'm 100% confident I can do it also. I have spent easily over 1000 hours studying this subject and absolutely not worried about anything.

So, I bought the v6 mustang last February and got a good deal on it. Probably buying the mustang has been the best event in my life ever... I love it!

I'm ready to start, I get out of school in 12 days. I'm within a month of spending all the money I've saved for the past several years into making the best car I could ever dream of... and then I realize we are going into a gas crisis... What do you guys recommend pertaining to the gas crisis and investing this large amount into a project that steals gas! Its only going to be a summer driver for cruising around, not ever going to be near a daily driver though. I know that you never get back in a car what you put in, but I wouldn't want to have the value of the car drop in 5 years by like 500% because of the gas crisis.

Oh and no comments please on age and power...

Last edited:

Mport_KLR

just a gt;)
Established Member
hmmm..."i bought a V6 and im going to put a 5.4 DOHC TT into it"....now why does that sound familiar?:fart:

Mport_KLR

just a gt;)
Established Member
look up basically any thread started by 'rcn4god' and youll know what im talking about;-)

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Sell the 6 and get a Mach 1...they're cheap enough now, and certainly won't drop 500% in value.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
look up basically any thread started by 'rcn4god' and youll know what im talking about;-)

Just spent 30 minutes reading his topics. I'd never EVER badge a v6 as a cobra.

And this thread isn't asking how it would turn out, its asking if investing my money into a mustang would be a wise choice considering the price of fuel increasing.

Sell the 6 and get a Mach 1...they're cheap enough now, and certainly won't drop 500% in value.

The only thing useful on the Mach 1's is the heads and the intake manifold. I'm planning on going forged with the 5.4, suspension upgrade - k member kit, rear is getting 31 splines with a locker, housing is getting welded up, sub frames, wheels,and other stuff.

I considered a Mach, most of the stuff that is different between a Mach and a v6 is stuff I am already planning on upgrading with after market, so the extra money I'd be paying would be for parts I'm replacing anyways. The v6 is the best bang for my buck since 70% of the car has the same things you'd find on a cobra, such as the unibody and stuff.

Mport_KLR

just a gt;)
Established Member
You have to remember that fuel mileage and performance never go hand in hand. If you can afford a blazingly fast TT 5.4 that gets 11 miles to the gallon using a fuel that will soon be $5 a gallon(assuming you wont be running race gas) then by all means..DO IT! But if you cant..then you have your answer.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
You have to remember that fuel mileage and performance never go hand in hand. If you can afford a blazingly fast TT 5.4 that gets 11 miles to the gallon using a fuel that will soon be $5 a gallon(assuming you wont be running race gas) then by all means..DO IT! But if you cant..then you have your answer.

I like your response. My reply is that I can afford the 5 dollars a gallon, but what about if it reaches 6? 7? 8,9,10,11,12? obviously it will hurt more than just me at those prices, but do you see that as something happening in the near future, say within 7-12 years? How will this hurt the resale on mustangs or muscle cars in general? Thanks

Mport_KLR

just a gt;)
Established Member
I like your response. My reply is that I can afford the 5 dollars a gallon, but what about if it reaches 6? 7? 8,9,10,11,12? obviously it will hurt more than just me at those prices, but do you see that as something happening in the near future, say within 7-12 years? How will this hurt the resale on mustangs or muscle cars in general? Thanks

I dont believe gas will ever reach those prices here. Dont even consider resale value if you go through with your proposed mods. You have to remember..no matter what you do to it..its still just a V6 on the books;-) You know you could always build your dream mustang and get an economy car for every day driving. Thats what a lot of us do.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
I dont believe gas will ever reach those prices here. Dont even consider resale value if you go through with your proposed mods. You have to remember..no matter what you do to it..its still just a V6 on the books;-) You know you could always build your dream mustang and get an economy car for every day driving. Thats what a lot of us do.

yeah, I have a dakota (bad gas millage) and a jeep (almost as bad gas millage). I think a cycle wont be too distant in my future...

Thanks a lot for the support Mport_KLR, you made me realize some things that are blatantly in front of me but that I have been over looking.

Common

Established Member
EPIC waste of money to be brutally honest but so is all of car moding to begin with.
Difference here is, you must be 110% sure you will keep this car for a significant amount if time if you dont want to feel like you literally wasted all OF the money.

I know a guy with 10.9 V6tt stang who wishes every day that he didnt go that deep into that car and bought a terminator with mild mods, but once he drives it he forgets all of that financial mumbo jambo he says, but for how long can you really drive your car to escape the harsh reality of few simple numbers.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Just spent 30 minutes reading his topics. I'd never EVER badge a v6 as a cobra.
good for you .. nothing screams moron more than some idiot putting cobra badges on a fobra
And this thread isn't asking how it would turn out, its asking if investing my money into a mustang would be a wise choice considering the price of fuel increasing.
dude .. go to www.dictionary.com and look up the word "investing". if you make this frankenstein you are not "investing" your money. you are pissing it down the toilet. you just as well take it and send it to me or burn it for winter heat.
The only thing useful on the Mach 1's is the heads and the intake manifold. I'm planning on going forged with the 5.4, suspension upgrade - k member kit, rear is getting 31 splines with a locker, housing is getting welded up, sub frames, wheels,and other stuff.
well this is a matter of opinion and you are entitled to yours.
I considered a Mach, most of the stuff that is different between a Mach and a v6 is stuff I am already planning on upgrading with after market, so the extra money I'd be paying would be for parts I'm replacing anyways. The v6 is the best bang for my buck since 70% of the car has the same things you'd find on a cobra, such as the unibody and stuff.

actually you have apparently overlooked a ton of stuff you will need to do. new wiring harness, new rear end, new transmission, yada yada yada. AND the v-6 will not be worth shit when you are done, compared to what you have "invested" in it.

really not a good idea to go down this road. if you want to invest your money buy a beater to do for now and put your money to work in a real investment.

Last edited:

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
dude .. go to www.dictionary.com and look up the word "investing". if you make this frankenstein you are not "investing" your money. you are pissing it down the toilet. you just as well take it and send it to me or burn it for winter heat.

Thanks, caught me there, I plan on keeping the car however, not something I'm planning on selling and making all the money I spent back

well this is a matter of opinion and you are entitled to yours.

actually you have apparently overlooked a ton of stuff you will need to do. new wiring harness, new rear end, new transmission, yada yada yada. AND the v-6 will not be worth shit when you are done, compared to what you have "invested" in it.

I haven't overlooked it, just haven't mentioned it. I want a TKO600 or a MMR900 for any car I go with, either that or at least a built T-56 if I went with a cobra, rear end, check, 7.5 needs to get thrown out, 8.8 outta a GT will do just fine though, wiring harness, thats going to be no more than 325 and a mach or cobra one will do fine. I would like to know if there is any differences though in the 99/01 harnesses also though

I'm not trying to make a cheaper cobra, I'm trying to take the money that I would be spending on the cobra, and just build a v6 instead. I've planned my build on a $3,500 budget.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I'm not trying to make a cheaper cobra, I'm trying to take the money that I would be spending on the cobra, and just build a v6 instead. I've planned my build on a $3,500 budget..

well good luck with that. it won't be long before you find that is a pretty unreasonable expectation. keep us posted.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
This is a long story plus kinda a semi life story:

It's 2003. My dads best friend who now lives about 5 hours from us just bought a Mach 1. We were visiting and he took me for a ride. This had been my first ride in a performance car ever. I loved it. I have loved mustangs since that day.

Fast forward some years, its 2005 now. I figured I would need to start saving money if I was ever going to get the mustang... so I started saving...

2006 rolls around - towards the end of the year, I started looking around at what mustang I was actually going to buy. It was a no brainer that I wanted a cobra terminator. It was the top dog, it was the best car ever built.

One of my dads hobby's has been cars, but mainly it has been DIY stuff. He built our house and about 40% of the furniture in it and stuff. When he was a kid, he would build performance cars, drop trannys on his stomach while on his back in the middle of the street etc. So my dad had a 4000 sq ft garage put in and in it we have a car lift, fabrication equipment, sandblasters, parts cleaners, welders, parts bench, etc basically a full shop. Being his son, I've picked up a lot of knowledge about cars and successfully made a project car out of a 92' Jeep this past summer. I rebuilt its engine and lifted it and its great!

After doing a lot of research and buying a lot of books and reading them, I decided that (at the time) if I was going to spend 30-34k for a cobra, I would get more for my money buying a v6 and making it into a cobra. I would save a lot of money in the long run and end up with left over money for mods.

Few more months went by and I have changed my idea again. This is around... august of last year.. I decided that I wanted to build a 5.4 DOHC TT and drop it into a v6. All is going to plan, I'm 100% confident I can do it also. I have spent easily over 1000 hours studying this subject and absolutely not worried about anything.

So, I bought the v6 mustang last February and got a good deal on it. Probably buying the mustang has been the best event in my life ever... I love it!

I'm ready to start, I get out of school in 12 days. I'm within a month of spending all the money I've saved for the past several years into making the best car I could ever dream of... and then I realize we are going into a gas crisis... What do you guys recommend pertaining to the gas crisis and investing this large amount into a project that steals gas! Its only going to be a summer driver for cruising around, not ever going to be near a daily driver though. I know that you never get back in a car what you put in, but I wouldn't want to have the value of the car drop in 5 years by like 500% because of the gas crisis.

Oh and no comments please on age and power...

MOVED! :wf::wf::wf::wf: USE THE CORRECT FORUM

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread