Advice on Flat

Paul1138

Established Member
Hi guys -

I could use some advice on how to proceed with Ford, so any thoughts on my situation would be appreciated.

So, this early afternoon, myself and a friend went to visit his parents about 80 miles away. Got to their house without a hitch, in my 13 GT500. After lunch, my friend's father wanted to go for a ride as he'd never seen the car before. As we were walking around it, my friend mentions that i have a flat on the right rear tire. Crap. So, we try and find the hole but to no avail. We take the compressor out to fill up the tire to see if we could figure out where the leak is. Compressor does not work. Great. So, we decided to use the fix-a-flat portion of the compressor that comes with the car. Doesn't work either. So now, I'm screwed. Turns out my friend's father has a portable compressor handy and we fill up the tire to 35 psi on the stock Goodyear F1. We hear the leak finally coming from the sidewall. I cannot see any hole but can feel the air slightly. So, I call roadside assistance from Ford.
I get 35 miles free towing. Anything after that is $4.25/mile. As I'm about 80 miles away, I would be responsible for about 50 miles, I would be paying about $300 I agree to this and they also mention they have to tow it to the nearest dealer near my house as it's under warranty. After an hour waiting, I get a call from them saying no one will come and pick up my car as it's too far unless i pay at least $475 minimum cash plus tolls for a large axle truck ($35+). So, now I'm pissed. I pay almost $70k after taxes for a car and pretty annoyed that this is happening. I start getting aggravated saying, your compressor in a brand new car does not work, the fix-a-flat does not work and your tire seems to have a sidewall leak for no reason and you're making me pay over $500 because no one will come and get me. In a nutshell, Ford Roadside assistance said yes, you have to pay and if you don't want to, go complain to customer service. Why don't you bring it to a local dealership near where you are stuck, they asked. Because it's Saturday at 5pm and everyone is closed. Tomorrow is sunday and I live 90 miles away. Will you pay for a rental car, I asked? No. Can you help me get home? No.

Long story short, I have basic AAA who only covers 3 miles free. I got them to come in about an hour and it cost me $400 with tolls. Dropped it at my house without a problem.

So, what's my next move? What I would like is for Ford to replace the tire, compensate me for the tow, replace the compressor and something for 9 hours of aggravation (yeah that'll happen). I'm just unsure on how to proceed.

Thanks so much for reading.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Form the 2013 Mustang Warranty Guide

ROADSIDE SERVICE ASSISTANCE (UNITED STATES, PUERTO RICO, AND U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS)
Your vehicle is covered by the complimentary Ford Roadside Assistance Program (unless you are driving a daily rental unit). Under this program, Ford will cover:
• Towing to the nearest Ford Motor Company dealership, or towing to your selling dealership if within 35 miles
• Flat tire change (vehicle must have useable spare)
• Fuel delivery (limited to two occurrences in a 12-month period up to 2 gal. gas, 5 gal. diesel)
• Jump starts
• Lock-out assistance (replacement key cost is customer responsibility)
• Winching (vehicle must be within 100 feet of a paved or county-maintained road)
The Roadside Assistance Program is separate from the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. It begins at the warranty start date and lasts for five years or 60,000 miles (whichever occurs first). If you need towing beyond the five years or 60,000 miles (whichever occurs first) period, Ford can arrange roadside assistance and charge your credit card. If the reason for the vehicle disablement is later found to be covered by another Ford warranty, Ford will provide a refund for the tow charge under the other warranty, through the dealership.
For emergency roadside assistance, call 1-800-241-3673, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Ford Rental cars (FRCS) that must be towed because a covered repair has failed during the warranty coverage period, Ford will cover towing to the nearest Ford Motor Company dealership.
Ford Motor Company reserves the right to modify or discontinue Roadside Assistance at any time. Certain restrictions apply to Roadside Assistance benefits. Call 1-800-241-3673 for further details.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Be sure to check the wrecker towing information on page 29 of the 2013 GT500 Owner's Manual Supplement.

Paul1138

Established Member
Form the 2013 Mustang Warranty Guide

ROADSIDE SERVICE ASSISTANCE (UNITED STATES, PUERTO RICO, AND U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS)
Your vehicle is covered by the complimentary Ford Roadside Assistance Program (unless you are driving a daily rental unit). Under this program, Ford will cover:
• Towing to the nearest Ford Motor Company dealership, or towing to your selling dealership if within 35 miles
• Flat tire change (vehicle must have useable spare)
• Fuel delivery (limited to two occurrences in a 12-month period up to 2 gal. gas, 5 gal. diesel)
• Jump starts
• Lock-out assistance (replacement key cost is customer responsibility)
• Winching (vehicle must be within 100 feet of a paved or county-maintained road)
The Roadside Assistance Program is separate from the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. It begins at the warranty start date and lasts for five years or 60,000 miles (whichever occurs first). If you need towing beyond the five years or 60,000 miles (whichever occurs first) period, Ford can arrange roadside assistance and charge your credit card. If the reason for the vehicle disablement is later found to be covered by another Ford warranty, Ford will provide a refund for the tow charge under the other warranty, through the dealership.
For emergency roadside assistance, call 1-800-241-3673, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Ford Rental cars (FRCS) that must be towed because a covered repair has failed during the warranty coverage period, Ford will cover towing to the nearest Ford Motor Company dealership.
Ford Motor Company reserves the right to modify or discontinue Roadside Assistance at any time. Certain restrictions apply to Roadside Assistance benefits. Call 1-800-241-3673 for further details.

Yup, read the manual as well when waiting for the flatbed. Not really sure why you posted it? Did I miss something when I read it?

king Abdull

Established Member
In any far " trip " try to buy a skinny 19" spare tire and just put it in the trunk in case ..

And for sure it won't cost you that much .. In future .

Hope you fixed the problem .

Snoopy49

Established Member
Yup, read the manual as well when waiting for the flatbed. Not really sure why you posted it? Did I miss something when I read it?

Sorry I misread your original post, for some reason I thought that AAA was towing you the first 35 miles.

Last edited:

662HP631TQ

Established Member
Unless You are a lawyer I don't think they are going to help you. It's just my guess. The way Ford has dealt with so many things, and the fact that there could be so many variables and excuses they could give you.....Sometimes you just have to absorb the cost of things.....even on a 70K car

mullens

Established Member
Get AAA plus. $120 a year you get 100 miles towing 4 separate occasions. Saved my ass and paid for itself many times over. This wouldn't help a sidewall puncture but I put one of those plug flat repair kits in the trunk. Avoid using the goo at all costs. It totally destroys the TPMS.

Paul1138

Established Member
Thanks guys for the info. Yup, upgraded my AAA as soon as I got home. As for the cold, I'm not sure. It was 55 out but you never know with these damn tires. And yeah, I'll most likely have to suck it up and consider this an annonance.
As for a spare, that's a great idea. Would anyone have a link for a spare that would fit?

Thanks again fellas

Snoopy49

Established Member
This is likely a result of the cold. The tires cracked.

GoodyearZL1tirebulletin.gif

Snoopy49

Established Member
Paul,
There have been a few reports of tires coming directly from the plant with cracks, when the cars sits out in the open on Ramp 51 in Michigan waiting for shipment, the temperatures this time of year are extremely cold. I don't know when your car was built, but if it was during the Winter months, I would check the tires for signs of cracks.

Users who are viewing this thread