Advice on garage floors

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Any suggestions on concrete mix/additives when pouring a new garage floor? My contactor looks to have prepped everything pretty well with the stone, wiring, vapor barrier, etc. He suggested using 3500 psi with fibers added to the mix. I wanted to add some color and/or epoxy to the mix, although I may just add some sort of top coating after everything cures.

He seemed pretty indifferent to anything I discussed so curious what others have done. Don't mind spending some extra cash as long as it's not stupid money. Thanks.

oldmodman

Established Member
The fibers in the concrete are a must do idea.

It kept concrete that I had poured perfect for the last couple of decades.
No surface cracks at all.

And I kind of wish I had color broadcast over the surface and pressed in. It would have really improved the look. But it was just a garage floor and the pad outside of it.

Are you having some areas poured thicker so you can put in a lift at a later time?

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Are you having some areas poured thicker so you can put in a lift at a later time?

The whole floor will be 6" thick and was hoping that be sufficient for whatever I decided to do in the future. This seems to accommodate most 4 post lifts I've looked at.

Reading on other sites I see a lot of people using 4000 psi so will discuss that with the contactor on Monday as well.

MustangJim21

Established Member
My family owns a ready-mix concrete/construction company. If it were my house, I would use 4000 psi, and the fiber mesh.

You can always add color to the mix, or use an epoxy or acid stain after the floor is poured.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
My family owns a ready-mix concrete/construction company. If it were my house, I would use 4000 psi, and the fiber mesh.

You can always add color to the mix, or use an epoxy or acid stain after the floor is poured.

Thanks, I will definitely use the 4000 psi. Ultimately I'd prefer to use some sort of epoxy but there are so many options it's hard to differentiate the good from the bad. If you have any specific recommendations I'd appreciate the input.

Users who are viewing this thread