Advice please: '03 Cobra: new or used 700mi?

'03 Cobra coupe: new or used with 700 mi?

• Buy USED with 700 mi

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Buy NEW

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

Jim S

Established Member
I have an '03 coupe on order but will have a chance to look at a used one with 700 mi. Same color I ordered. Supposedly owner backed out of it for "health reasons" and it'll be at a dealer soon and I have first shot at it.

I don't care about the price difference of new vs used and the wait or immediacy issue is not a factor at all.

Used
  • Perhaps any problems that might appear are already there; if not there now then maybe I'm home free and wouldn't have to worry about the vibration and steering pull issues
  • Essentially full warrantee (instead of 36 mos/36k mi it would be 34 mos/35.3k mi)
  • Lemon law won't apply should I have major problems
  • Don't know if it was properly broken in the first 500 mi
New
  • Lemon law applies if needed
  • I'll break the car in appropriately
  • Problems might arise after I sign and drive and then I may have the same nightmare as those with the vibration issue

Weasel

Established Member
Jim S-

Drive the used one, take it up to 80+ mph and see if it vibrates (if it's there you'll feel and hear it). See if it pulls. If it's smooth and doesn't pull to the right (for example), and everything else is in order, you should take it. Otherwise, wait for the new one.

Mine is a Silver coupe, too.

Mike

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
CHECK THE MAINTENANCE RECORDS!!!! Something smells really fishy here. More than likely it was the car that had the health problems not the owner. Just my $.02

03DOHC

Established Member
Unless they're going to give you a good deal, like $5k+ off I'd just wait for a new one. I've been waiting since february, so I can feel your pain. If a used one popped up for me, I'd pass.

C_Record

Established Member
If there was a previous owner, and he really is in bad health, I'm sorry to hear that. But he was in good enough health to put 700 mi. on the car. Though regardless when he became ill(before or after buying it), I don't believe the dealership would agree to take it back. My suspicion is there was no previous owner, and the dealership(owner, etc.) used the car as a demo.
My vote- buy new.

POINTCOVER

Established Member
Don't believe eveything they tell you. Besides, there is nothing like getting into an "untouched" car and seeing the odometer under 15 miles. Be patient, you waited this long...get the new one.

Elliotness

Established Member
Matter of econimics IMO. Sounds funny that the car is back at the dealership with 700 miles on it... I think I would buy the used one if there was a substantial difference in price. If the prices are close like a 1k difference I would wait and get the new car.:) I think you'll be okay either way. The car is still going to have a warranty. ;-) I would also drive the car and see if there are any deficiencies, if you notice any problems don't buy it.:nono:

92LX5.0

Established Member
I wouldnt touch it. On another forum, Ive heard of 2 people giving there cars back because they couldnt be fixed. One was pulling, the other was a bad motor. Its prolly one of them. :kaboom:

wel, Im sure they were fixable, but you get my drift :beer:

Last edited:

Jim S

Established Member
Thanks guys. I'll certainly give it the benefit of the doubt and check it out when it arrives at the Ford dealership where I have my '03 coupe on order.

mike69440

Established Member
Be Careful

Do not buy used until previous owner gves you a written letter as to why he sold. Legally it means nothing but most people would squirm at this if there is something fishy.

Also before you by , drive it like you stole it.

I am having issues with my Cobra.

Mike69440

VettTheRipper

Big Honkin' Diesel
Established Member
A very big advantage of buying a low mileage used one (provided it's still cherry) is that someone else takes the initial depreciation hit. I bought mine used and the savings gave me a nice stash for mods.

Users who are viewing this thread