AED tune + key modifications = solid results on a budget!

Mnstr50

Established Member
Hey Everyone-

I wanted to share my modifications and experience with my 12' GT upgrades. I wanted to pursue the most cost effective upgrades that would yield the best results.

here is what were I've got as a result of that evolution;

IMG_1741.jpg

"best exhaust"- Other than Gt500's, wtih an x-pipe and mid-pipe deletes sounds GREAT. The Magnaflow street cat-back 3", can be had for as little as $569 shipped (with x or H pipe) is a goood compromise for a solid performance sound without being too loud (very DD friendly). I currently run a dynomax catback 3" with a pypes x-pipe about $170 (true 3" in/out), with that setup it's bordering "too loud". I happened to install the cat-deletes Jegs $150 shipped, and this thing is now "officially too loud". Therefore I would suggest the two options up top (again most budget friendly, with a solid improvement. You can likely tolerate a cat delete at that point).

Cold-air intake: my biggest gripe about intake kits currently available is also my gripe about axle-back exhaust sytems. They are in HIGH demand, and EXPENSE. The current CF Parnelli Jones airaid is listed at $600+?! People, this is bordering nitrous kit territory. They also cannot be interchanged with supercharger kits (in the event you plan to go that direction later). I decided to skip it. Don't even waste your time with drop in filters

I purchase the Boss intake manifold & install kit (~$499 intake, $150 install kit). The reason why I wanted this kit is to make sure it was as "OE" as possible, and it looked clean and professional. I think I achieved that look. Even though there is some controvery regarding this intake manifold, i do believe it was a sound investment (based on research from this site).

Injectors; you heard that right, the ford 47# injectors can be had for as little as $249 shipped, and they allow the end user to run E85 safely (at least in an NA application). There have been tons of reviews on E85 and their results here recently, so I'll spare you. However, if you're looking for the most out of your NA application, these should be on the list.

Headers: pass, you can spend the money elsewhere. *Possibly a mod for later on.

Tune: for the people that are concerned with voiding your warranty (due to a tune), then most improvements will come from the exhaust mods, and possibly sticking with an FRPP tune. You'll also have to retain the cats, and skip the E85.

For those seeking the best tune, I would recommend Shaun and AED. I currently have the base tune installed (data logging needed for a fine tune), and I am now in the "re-learn how to drive this thing" mode. Incredible pull, ridiculous power improvement, and zero traction with the stock tire. lol. i'll report on track times and the results with E85 later. it's still HOT in AZ, and high DA.

With that said, i also did a minor cosmetic mod, and painted the coil pack covers and Boss tower brace in a low-gloss ceramic engine paint. Cost- $5.99 . ;)

SicShelby09

Banned
Stock I went 114mph in the quarter. With aed tune, cat deletes, k&n filter and gt500 mufflers and went 117.98 mph. Now those are gains on a budget.

Yagermeister

Established Member
Sicshelby, what was your DA when you did that cuz that is awesome?!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mnstr50

Established Member
Sicshelby09- those are definitely respectable. I am curious to know what tire you ran on, and the actual elapsed time.

the point i was trying to make is if owners put some research in, they don't have to spend HUGE bucks on getting these things to perform. More importantly, to avoid the "hype" of certain power adders that cost an arm and a leg.

I hope to put down 11's later this year when the conditions improve here in AZ. Current DA here in AZ is around 3,000-4,000 DA

SicShelby09

Banned
Sicshelby09- those are definitely respectable. I am curious to know what tire you ran on, and the actual elapsed time.

the point i was trying to make is if owners put some research in, they don't have to spend HUGE bucks on getting these things to perform. More importantly, to avoid the "hype" of certain power adders that cost an arm and a leg.

I hope to put down 11's later this year when the conditions improve here in AZ. Current DA here in AZ is around 3,000-4,000 DA

I was on a 305/35/18 mt et street. The et was [email protected]

RFM50

Established Member
A Firebird meet in November or December is a must now. Sounds like you have some decent mods going! Where are you buying E85 at?

Last edited:

Jedisalami

Established Member
A Firebird meet in November or December is a must now. Sounds like you have some decent mods going! Where are you buying E85 at?

man Im closer to speedworld. Lmk if you know anyone local whos looking for a catback, I have a bassani and a magnaflow competition im trying to sell

Need4Speed03

Established Member
So what are the solid results? You didnt list any track times or dyno numbers. Are you comparing the AED tune to another aftermarket tune or stock?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
If you read the post he hasn't been to the track yet, he's waiting for it to cool down. Also he came from stock.

-Thomas

Mnstr50

Established Member
Sorry for the late response. The car ran a 12.9 with poor 60-foot ont he stock 255's when the DA was up to 3400+ at speedworld (AZ) on a saurday night (poor track prep). The car should have had a 12.5 stock. I feel a low 12 or high 11 should be do-able with this current tune.

AZ-guys, hit me up (PM me) we can swap #'s. I am hitting both track FOR SURE come next month.

E85 is all over the valley. I am in peoria, and one of the stations is literally a mile up the road. It was a no brainer for me. I am totally new to the SCT tuner, so it will take me a little while to get use to the data logging.

Mnstr50

Established Member
For the guys looking for numbers, I'll try to get a dyno run once i get the E85 tune squared away. I'll also hit the track at that point.

Also- I will run with the existing 255's. As I am contemplating on wheel/tire combos.

grnenvy

Established Member
Looks great but imop the Magnaflow axle back is so annoying. They resonate so bad in the cabin that I had to pull then off. High flow cats and GT500 mufflers for the win.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
For the guys looking for numbers, I'll try to get a dyno run once i get the E85 tune squared away. I'll also hit the track at that point.

Also- I will run with the existing 255's. As I am contemplating on wheel/tire combos.

Thanks for the response. Looking forward to reading about the E85 switch and results.

Jedisalami

Established Member
My buddy just needs fans and his dyno is done at 67th and Glendale, place called foxbody performance

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I have yet to crack the seal on my engine (although I have a Boss intake waiting) and I have gone 11.79 with my AED tuned car, and as fast as 119. Very easy to get these cars going. I also have the Jeg's cat deletes and Pypes X pipe. I installed them last year.

In terms of mufflers, I have been through piles of them. That is the single most difficult thing to achieve with these cars...a pleasing exhaust note.

Mike

FIFTY

Established Member
I have yet to crack the seal on my engine (although I have a Boss intake waiting) and I have gone 11.79 with my AED tuned car, and as fast as 119. Very easy to get these cars going. I also have the Jeg's cat deletes and Pypes X pipe. I installed them last year.

In terms of mufflers, I have been through piles of them. That is the single most difficult thing to achieve with these cars...a pleasing exhaust note.

Mike

Mike, get your damn intake on already LOL

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Mike, get your damn intake on already LOL

Not until I am done running the car as a 3.31 car. When I am satisfied with it, i.e. when I go 11.50s or better, I will do the Boss. For the Boss I need to do gears and 28 inch slicks/10 inch wheels. So, it is not just an intake swap for me.

Mike

FIFTY

Established Member
Not until I am done running the car as a 3.31 car. When I am satisfied with it, i.e. when I go 11.50s or better, I will do the Boss. For the Boss I need to do gears and 28 inch slicks/10 inch wheels. So, it is not just an intake swap for me.

Mike

ahh i see, make it happen! good luck

FIFTY

Established Member
Sorry for the late response. The car ran a 12.9 with poor 60-foot ont he stock 255's when the DA was up to 3400+ at speedworld (AZ) on a saurday night (poor track prep). The car should have had a 12.5 stock. I feel a low 12 or high 11 should be do-able with this current tune.

AZ-guys, hit me up (PM me) we can swap #'s. I am hitting both track FOR SURE come next month.

E85 is all over the valley. I am in peoria, and one of the stations is literally a mile up the road. It was a no brainer for me. I am totally new to the SCT tuner, so it will take me a little while to get use to the data logging.

More seat, and better weather with tires, and you will diff see a high 11sec pass:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread