After Market HID kits- Lexus

jshen

Established Member
I don't know where to turn here. Long story short- I have a 2004 Lexus ES with only 28,000 miles and I want to upgrade to HID. Kits are available but bulb goes in original lights. The say just plug and play with ballasts. Can anyone provide advice on kits, install or whether I should take it to dealer for install of entire lamp assembly....This is a necessity as I am losing night vision and while I can still drive at night I must upgrade.

Any help would be appreciated.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Jshen, not sure how much help this is going to be, but you cannot alter factory lighting equipment. With this being said, there is a lot of aftermarket lighting equipment for sell out there and a lot of it is illegal to use on public roadway.
I've used this in my enforcement, if I see a ballast its ticket time. Really if an inspector is worth his weight he will reject it, but way too many inspectors that are not worth a S---! If it's changing a bulb out, then I don't mess with it.
These ballasts are what cause engine fires, they get super hot. I would contact the Lexus dealer to see if you could change out the bulb?

oldmodman

Established Member
If you just stick an HID bulb in a housing most housings will create a terrible beam pattern.

But if you went to a junkyard and got the factory HID housings, and they will swap into your model of Lexus then you would get a factory perfect beam pattern. It would be DOT legal too.

But if you want to stay on the cheap side go with the new LED bulbs instead. They are reported to have a better, tighter, beam pattern.

jshen

Established Member
Thank you so much for the response. I completely forgot about whether or not it was legal and that makes perfect sense. Since HID was offered as an option in 2004, I will inquire whether Lexus can/will upgrade and also check our Ga. Code as to whether that would be acceptable. I will also look into LED as well. Thanks all.

Last edited:

NlGHTMARE

Banned
jshen,

You can complete Morimoto kits for under $150. I am running them in my LS460 and they are great.

Check out www.theretrofitsource.com and www.hidplanet.com

Create a forum account at HID Planet and those guys can tell you exactly which kit to get.

Or if you hold off for a bit, LED headlights will be making HID kits obsolete. It may still be a few years but that is definitely the next big thing in auto lighting.

Users who are viewing this thread