After you applied for a job. How long did you wait before your start date?

Stanger00

Established Member
I've had 3 different jobs in the past 10 years. I am turning 30 in Jan.

I waited for a guaranteed job in the AF so I was delayed for 8 months.

My 2nd job took 3 months. I was hired in July with a tentative deployment date of October. I didnt get my first pay check from them until October.

My last job took 5 weeks. Owner didnt want to hire me but a new production supervisor interviewed me 2 weeks after my initial interview and hired me. Took 2 weeks for pre-employment crap.

I just got a new job. I applied in March 2013. Today I got my final offer of employment. I start on my 30th Birthday. This took long because of 2 tests one month apart and panel interview.

Is this normal? Or is there something wrong with the jobs I pick, haha.

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
8 mos in DEP is usual time frame for military, especially AF.. see some waiting up to a year. i've posted a few GS positions on USAJobs and the turn around after selection is usually only a month..i'd say it's the jobs you're picking

Stanger00

Established Member
8 mos in DEP is usual time frame for military, especially AF.. see some waiting up to a year. i've posted a few GS positions on USAJobs and the turn around after selection is usually only a month..i'd say it's the jobs you're picking

I understand DEP. Yup, sounds like it.

It seems that once I eventually GET the final offer I start within 2 weeks. Which is normal.

Jack Burton

Established Member
I'm in public accounting. They usually want me to start that day.

It's actually hard to give a 2 week notice due to the pressure you get. Usually I get an offer the same day I send out an app (with an interview).

Stanger00

Established Member
My GF works as a loan administrator for a small local bank. She is involved with closing loans for small businesses not real estate. She just got a senior title but she still considers job offers from other banks that call her. My GF has a job and she still gets phone calls for work!

I am in the wrong line of work!

GM Nitemare

Established Member
I've had 3 different jobs in the past 10 years. I am turning 30 in Jan.

I waited for a guaranteed job in the AF so I was delayed for 8 months.

My 2nd job took 3 months. I was hired in July with a tentative deployment date of October. I didnt get my first pay check from them until October.

My last job took 5 weeks. Owner didnt want to hire me but a new production supervisor interviewed me 2 weeks after my initial interview and hired me. Took 2 weeks for pre-employment crap.

I just got a new job. I applied in March 2013. Today I got my final offer of employment. I start on my 30th Birthday. This took long because of 2 tests one month apart and panel interview.

Is this normal? Or is there something wrong with the jobs I pick, haha.

WOW, what kind of job?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
About 5 weeks for the one previous to this one, and about 3 weeks for my current one.

Jebadias

Established Member
It all depends. Like stated above, DEP takes a long time. For me it was 7 months, my son was 8 months. For civilian jobs I have had offers to start as short as immediately, as in get in there now and start learning the job and as long as 4 months for the testing, interviews, physical abilities tests and background check to be scheduled and completed.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Been at my current job for 8 years. Applied, tested a month later, interviewed 2 months later, got offered 2 months after that, and started 2 months after that. Took awhile but it was worth it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
shortest time between interview and hire - 2 days
longest time between interview and hire - 1year 2 months

most of the time it is 2 weeks tho

zachcrosen

Established Member
My current job took a month from the interview to the start date. I ws still working at my prior job so I didn't care too much. I interviewed on 1/10 this year and was told the following day they were going to make me an offer. It took 2 weeks before the offer officially came and then I gave a 2 weeks notice. Started my current job on 2/11.

Sick03Vert

Banned
2 months here. Went through 4 different lunch interviews and 2 separate office interviews. I had damn near forgotten about it when they finally called to offer me the job. You'd think I'd be making $50k a year the way the hiring process worked. Stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread