Aftermarket 18" wheels that fit over the front brakes?

fast Ed

Established Member
Hey guys

What's out there for 18" wheels that go over the 14" Brembos? The CCW wheels are gorgeous and high quality, but way out of my snack bracket. :-D

Tire Rack shows their Kazera KZ-A wheels fitting, I may go with those, but am not 100% sold on the look of them. Any other suggestions? This is actually for my T-Bird SC, I'm looking to change from the current SN95 Cobra brakes I have on it to larger ones this year, but would prefer to stay with 18" for wheel diameter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions ...

cheers
Ed N.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ed:

I've been pretty happy with the Kazeras. Did you know they come in two colors? Black and silver.

Here are the black ones:

paddock1sm.jpg

They are light and inexpensive and do the job for me.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

fast Ed

Established Member
Thanks Bruce. I'm leaning toward something with grey or anthracite spokes if possible, but the silver would work too. My SC is black, so the black spoke wheels wouldn't suit my tastes.

How much clearance do you have between the back of the wheel, and the big caliper? Looking at the photo of your car, it would appear that the design of that wheel puts the spokes right out at the edge, creating lots of room for big brakes. Tire Rack also sells the ASA JH8, which would appear to be almost identical, except for the centre cap design, and no logo on the spoke (which I could do without). But when I called Tire Rack, they were unable to tell me if the ASA wheel will fit too. :??:

BTW, coincidentally # 177 used to be my car number for the 5.0 Fox Mustang I used to run in amateur regional racing at Mosport and Shannonville.

thanks!!

Ed N.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ed:

There is ton's of clearance between the claiper and the wheel. I think they just wanted to make sure!

These wheels also came with center caps I left off for the event.

If you see a red Mustang at the track with a #177 on the side, there's a pretty good chance it's going to be me! :-D

fast Ed

Established Member
Great, thanks for the info Bruce. What tracks are you usually running at? I'm generally in Ontario and eastern U.S., just doing some instructing at various club events.

cheers
Ed N.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
fast Ed said:
Great, thanks for the info Bruce. What tracks are you usually running at? I'm generally in Ontario and eastern U.S., just doing some instructing at various club events.

cheers
Ed N.

Ed:

I'm usually at Road America. Then comes Gingerman, Blackhawk and Auto-Bahn. But this year there is a gang of us going to the Friday June 1st Dexter Day at Mosport and then heading to Watkins Glen June 4 & 5 with Phoenix CMR.

Maybe we'll see you at one of them!?!

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I have a full set of 18x10 Saleen SR wheels for sale that will clear the big brakes on the shelby. Plus you could run wide meats all the way around like the FR500C cars. They're entirely magnesium, which makes them light and strong. Let me know if you're interested. They only fit '05-up mustangs and Shelbys because of the offset and front width.

post-4-1143504013.jpg

Last edited:

fast Ed

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Ed:

I'm usually at Road America. Then comes Gingerman, Blackhawk and Auto-Bahn. But this year there is a gang of us going to the Friday June 1st Dexter Day at Mosport and then heading to Watkins Glen June 4 & 5 with Phoenix CMR.

Maybe we'll see you at one of them!?!

Mosport and / or WGI are possibilities for me. I'm on Dexter's backup list of instructors, and I did help out at a Phoenix event at WGI a few years ago. Haven't been there since 03 or 04 I think, definitely want to get back this year.

19COBRA93, those Saleen wheels sound great, but I'm guessing the price on magnesium wheels is going to be well out of my snack bracket too. :-D

cheers
Ed N.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Since I can't PM you, I'm only looking to get $750 plus shipping for the set. That's all I paid for them and they won't fit my termy, so I need to sell them.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
19COBRA93 said:
Since I can't PM you, I'm only looking to get $750 plus shipping for the set. That's all I paid for them and they won't fit my termy, so I need to sell them.

If you know what they weigh and Ed is not interested in them, I might be?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
That is a nice lightweight wheel!!!!

I'm putting a GT500 Braking system on the front of a Pal's '06 GT and he may be interested!?!?

I'll let you know!!!

MD03SVT

Established Member
The 18'' steeda ultra-lites and the roush 18's fit,I have also tried the foose nitrous 20's but they do not clear the calipers.

Jfoster

Established Member
Man, those SRs are kick ass looking. I remember drooling over those cars. I believe what you have is 4 of the front wheels though, because the rears were 18x11. If they would fit my mach 1, I would be all over them!

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Jfoster said:
Man, those SRs are kick ass looking. I remember drooling over those cars. I believe what you have is 4 of the front wheels though, because the rears were 18x11. If they would fit my mach 1, I would be all over them!
That's interesting to know. They'll fit the new edge with a spacer, but not without.

Users who are viewing this thread