aftermarket clutches

5OhSlo

Established Member
What aftermarket clutch can I get that will handle hard launches with around 550 whp on the road and will perform like the stock clutch

Voltwings

Established Member
It would be really cool if there was like... some kind of website that just already had that answer... until that day comes though :rollseyes

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Spec 2+ clutch is perfect for your application takes about 500 miles for break in but its a sweet piece!

Darufe

Established Member
i just put in a mcleod rxt wich is good for 1000+hp and the pedal feels lighter then stock (sucks i actualy like to feel my clutch engage....)
but its not fully broken in yet so its pretty noisy.

VaBeachMustang

Established Member
RST here and just like the RXT the pedal is actually too light lol Not complaining but just like Darufe said I like to feel the clutch engage. It is a bit noisy, but the RST or the RXT are the best IMO for our cars. Had an Exedy before the RST and it was junk. My 0.02.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Stock clutch with a roush TVS at 9-10psi for a year and a half with about 14,000 miles.... lol

I can't believe I haven't cooked it yet! haha

I've been down the strip probably 30-40 times with the TVS on. At least 2/3 of those with NT05r's.

I've driven a few 5.0's with the McLeods and it is very hard to tell when it is going to grab, but when it does, it GRABS. And I don't think that noise really goes away. One of my buddies has had his RXT for 15,000 miles and it still makes that god-awful clatter from 1600-2000rpms. It's funny how some make so much more noise than others.

Voltwings

Established Member
I had a spec in my last car, and after having a buddy have the exact same thing happen to his car, I will never own another spec clutch. Either my clutch was built on a Friday at 4:30, or Spec is just lazy, but basically my clutch wasn't the right size. I could never get full disengagement and was constantly missing gears during races, because the gear just wasn't there, even holding the pedal to the floor and going for a slower shift it would hit a wall and scratch. Hold the clutch to the floor and put the car in first and it starts to scoot, even before releasing the clutch pedal. Talk to one of my buddies and he is having the same issue.

What did spec say? "give it time to wear in, and once a little material is taken off the disk it will work better." Sounded a little bogus to me, but im not the clutch expert, so what do I know. Well, next thing I do know, I no longer have a 4th gear because the clutch kept causing me to miss. This was over the course of like 2 months, so its not like I drove it forever... Same issue happened to my Buddy on his car, basically spec sent him a clutch and a spacer and said "here, this should work." it didn't, and now his 4th gear is shot too, and he ended up replacing his transmission because of it. So my guess is lazy... spec basically took a clutch they already had, made a half ass spacer and figured it would work. Never again.

Last edited:

DrTriton

Established Member
The McLeod isn't going to get any quieter as you put miles on it! Those things don't have any torsional springs in the discs so they can't absorb any driveline harmonics (the RXT doesn't anyway).

I put an RXT in my car when my Tremec was installed late last summer - I ended up taking it out this spring. It was terribly noisy and had light switch engagement right at the top of the pedal.

For a car that sees mainly track duty it might be what you want but I wouldn't recommend it otherwise.

I ended up putting a factory '13 GT500 twin disc set up in my car...it's a whole lot nicer to drive, holds up great, and I can burn up 3 of those before I reach the cost of 1 McLeod clutch.

draxxus131

Established Member
A sprung hub is not meant to soak up noise but shock loads YES! Harmonics relates to a tone. Since when would a spring get rid of sound?! LOL

Last edited:

DrTriton

Established Member
A sprung hub is not meant to soak up noise but shock loads YES! Harmonics relates to a tone. Since when would a spring get rid of sound?! LOL

Surprise! That's what those little springs in the disc do. The OEM's actually tune them to try and eliminate any harmonics or gear roll over (which is what you hear with the RXT). Without them your engine torsional vibration transfers right through to the transmission and causes the gears to essentially chatter. That's what you hear. 1600 rpm was the magic speed on my car. Installed OEM clutch with springs, noise 100% gone.

Last edited:

Angry50

Established Member
The McLeod isn't going to get any quieter as you put miles on it! Those things don't have any torsional springs in the discs so they can't absorb any driveline harmonics (the RXT doesn't anyway).

I put an RXT in my car when my Tremec was installed late last summer - I ended up taking it out this spring. It was terribly noisy and had light switch engagement right at the top of the pedal.

For a car that sees mainly track duty it might be what you want but I wouldn't recommend it otherwise.

I ended up putting a factory '13 GT500 twin disc set up in my car...it's a whole lot nicer to drive, holds up great, and I can burn up 3 of those before I reach the cost of 1 McLeod clutch.

I didn't know the GT500 clutch would fit. I was looking at the Exedy mach 500. not sure the price difference. I was also debating on the flywheel when I did make the change

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I didn't know the GT500 clutch would fit. I was looking at the Exedy mach 500. not sure the price difference. I was also debating on the flywheel when I did make the change

Same here. I thought the GT500's used the 26-spline input shaft and ours was 23-spline...

chao5.0

Established Member

notice he said he installed a tremec in his car

redline5.0

Established Member
It would be really cool if there was like... some kind of website that just already had that answer... until that day comes though :rollseyes

Leave that shit on msf, no need for the douche nozzle comments. I don't miss that shit show of a car forum at all.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
My McLeod RXT with the aluminum flywheel hardly makes any noise. Just that little rattle sound once in a while at parking lot speeds. I wish my MT82 was as quiet :(.

Users who are viewing this thread