Aftermarket hood owners

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
So I'm looking at getting a new hood in the next few months and was wondering who/what everyone went with? I've read issues with the TruFiber hoods, but the posts were kind of old. So I'm wondering if they've fixed their processes yet or if everyone is still stearing clear of them? I'm looking at the KR/super snake style hoods in fiberglass. Also, what did you guys pay to get your hood painted? Did you get the stripes painted on or just go with the vinyl ones again? I was quoted $1,400 which seems pretty damn high IMO, but that was with the fender blending. Thanks all for the inputs!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
For the stripes, go vinyl. In the event you ever want to go back to stock or sell the aftermarket hood, painted stripes are harder to sell unless the buyer absolutely loves the look.

tvspower

Established Member
OP .. take a look at Booky's cowl hood setup. He is a member on the forum. His sure looks good. GL

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
OP .. take a look at Booky's cowl hood setup. He is a member on the forum. His sure looks good. GL

Thanks for the complement.

I believe Cervini's only has a 2.5" cowl hood for the 2007 GT500's, mine is a 4" cowl.

The BMC Black Mamba hood is probably going to be the best bang for the buck for what the op is looking for.

http://www.bmcextremecustoms.net/fomublmaho20.html

With a complete prep, paint and installation from a quality shop, that price is not out of line.

I went with custom vinyl stripes for the same reason as stated above, they can be removed for quicker sale.

Good luck

Last edited:

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Thanks guys! Yes I love booky 's hood, but I had a cowl on my last mustang and really am intrigued by the ram air characteristics of the other hoods and trying to keep IAT's down. Plus, I think they look pretty good too! I will look at the black mamba some more. Do you guys know if it has the ram air redirection of air to the airbox area like the TruFiber?

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Thanks guys! Yes I love booky 's hood, but I had a cowl on my last mustang and really am intrigued by the ram air characteristics of the other hoods and trying to keep IAT's down. Plus, I think they look pretty good too! I will look at the black mamba some more. Do you guys know if it has the ram air redirection of air to the airbox area like the TruFiber?

Just a heads up, do some research on those hoods before you buy one for the ram air.

I could be wrong but I beleive most of them are only for looks and the ones that are functional can cause problems with the MAF on the GT500's causing the car to run bad.

I have read posts where the owner ended up plugging the ram air so that the car would run right again.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Thank you for the heads up booky! If anyone has that experience please let me know! I don't need any more issues with this car! lol

BilletProShop

Established Member
Thank you for the heads up booky! If anyone has that experience please let me know! I don't need any more issues with this car! lol

surging issues caused by ram air induction is very common, xtra air flow will cause turbulence and the maf has a hard time reading the correct air flow,
hood has a lot to do but some maf are more sensitive than others...

Last edited:

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Is that true for all the ram air hoods or just the ones pushing air directly to the air box location? How well do the cowl hoods get rid of the engine bay heat? That is my main goal, to get rid of the heat and drop IAT's, but I really liked the looks of the KR/super snake style.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
The bmc hood has the air duct behind the maf...no worries about screwing with the mag signal with that one.

Last edited:

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Bumping this up from the dead, but I am about to pull the trigger on this and had a couple more questions. Is it worth just going with the carbon fiber option on these hoods or are the fiber glass ones really not much heavier? Also, I have heard that you have to let the fiber glass hoods sit out or "cure" some how for a few weeks before paint to keep them from bubbling or peeling. Is this true? Finally, I am looking at either the carbon fiber cowl hood (Due to not having to paint it right away. Can buy my bigger blower faster! lol) from TruCarbon (https://www.octanemotorsports.com/2...eat-extractor-carbon-fiber-hood-p-164420.html) or the BMC Black Mamba (http://www.bmcextremecustoms.net/fomublmaho20.html), but want to make sure both of them will clear the bigger blowers. I am looking at getting the Kenne Bell 3.2L or 3.6L this summer (I was going to get it now, but I don't want to lower my engine or K member so I have to do this first.) and just want to make sure I won't have to cut or run into any clearance issues. Thanks again all!

mobeydick

Established Member
I wish your car was a 2010 or newer. I'd make ya a deal on a SS hood.

The fiberglass is heavier by roughly 10 to 15 lbs according to the manufacturers. The big difference is in the labor to prep the fiberglass hood for paint when comparing it to the Carbon Fiber hoods. You can spend an extra $500-700 to get the fiberglass hood prepared for paint over the CF. The fiberglass is cheaper up front, but will have a total installed cost that is equal to the CF hood after paint.

That depends on the Mfg. When I told my body and paint man I was purchasing a fiberglass hood he told me he had never seen one that didn't need a lot of work just to make it look even decent and that I would be unhappy with the results. That was back in 07, I got one of the originals from Proglass and it was nearly perfect out of the box. It changed his mind about fiberglass hoods. You get what you pay for with anything. .

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
^^Very true. I called around but the only good places in town are closed on the weekends. I definitely don't want to get a crap hood and then get charged out the butt for labor to prep it. I heard the black mamba hood takes some work to finish it but I wonder if it's a standard time for fiberglass hoods or more intensive? I think at this point I'm leaning towards the cowl good but I really prefer the look of the SS/KR style hoods better. However, the cowl hoods don't mess with the MAF sensor when it comes to redirecting the air and it looks like it would be easier to prep and paint. Also, I've read that some of the KR style hoods don't clear the bigger blowers due to the ram air routing.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I wish your car was a 2010 or newer. I'd make ya a deal on a SS hood.

The fiberglass is heavier by roughly 10 to 15 lbs according to the manufacturers. The big difference is in the labor to prep the fiberglass hood for paint when comparing it to the Carbon Fiber hoods. You can spend an extra $500-700 to get the fiberglass hood prepared for paint over the CF. The fiberglass is cheaper up front, but will have a total installed cost that is equal to the CF hood after paint.

Thank you! I will see what the shops around me say. I didn't think about that before.

Users who are viewing this thread