Aftermarket seats

Smarties

Established Member
Hi,
New topic as I'm exploring new seats. My car is a premium model with the black seat with the line of cashmere in the middle. I'm looking for seats that support better. They need to be reclining model because of my little girl.

Brands that I have check are Cypher, Corbeau and Sparco.

I don't want to pay 3000$ for new seats so Boss seats are out of the equation. I want fabrics or suede. No more leather.
Right here are the model I'm looking at.

Sparco R100
Sparco Road street.
Problem is the brackets seems to be a lot expensive for nothing.

Corbeau A4 in suede
Corbeau LG1 in suede
Corbeau Sportline RRX

Problem with the LG1 is that all the picture I have found the seat is way too low for my taste.

Is Corbeau quality any good and what about the color degradation. I heard it was there big problem.

I know a lot of people around here don't have aftermarket seats. But you can chime in and give your opinion or facts if you have aftermartket seat in your car.

08mojo

Established Member
I had cloth corbeau seats in a past car. They sat really low and really made the back seat useless.

The stock recaro seats also take up a lot of legroom for the back seat area. Go to your local dealer and see if you can live with the space left for your girl with the recaro seats. You might be disappointed.

Smarties

Established Member
Thank you for the tip on the recaro seats. Didn't know they were bigger than the standard seat. Anyway I don't want to go with Recaro seats as they are too expensive.

What did you think of your Corbeau. They had color problem in the past but new buyers are telling me they have really improve.

And what about Sparco.

08mojo

Established Member
My point on the recaro is to take a look to see how much space they take up for rear legroom. Other seats will be similar.

The corbeau seats were very light and comfortable. Can't remember the model, it was about 12 years ago. I did also get their seat rails that were adjustable and the seat backs folded forward. It was pricey. No issues with fading. I had black cloth with Grey cloth centers.

I don't have any experience with sparco seats.

Last edited:

devildog1679

Established Member
I have Corbeau CR1's in my car for the last 3 years. I got the Micro Sued and no fading yet. I track my car a lot so the left thigh bolster gets lots of use. It's not as firm as day one but still keeps me in nice and tight. Granted these are $500 seats so its understandable. I have a 6 year old girl and 2 year old boy that I drop off at school and daycare every day. Plenty of leg room for them. Even with my wife in the front my son has plenty of leg room.

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
I am thinking about upgrading seats as well instead of ordering the recaro's (may be too impatient to wait 6-8 weeks for a newly ordered 2014)

Anyway my biggest concern is without a telescopic steering wheel the seat (whatever I chose) wont sit correctly. Someway the adjustability will be off ... for example as stated above I hear that a lot of aftermarket seats sit very low. Another problem is I am on the shorter side and if I feel out of position while driving (especially a manual car) I drive way lower than my ability.

ExTurbo

Established Member
Ive been thinking about the Corbeau's myself. Mostly for the weight savings and because i constantly find myself bracing before i go into turns. The Stock GT premium seats are comfortable for cruising the highway but really lack the lateral support when the turns come in. a good friend of mine ordered them for his car and they are pretty nice for the money. Cant comment on the longevity of them though sorry.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I have microsuede corbeau A4's (non wide version) in my 2012. I really, really like them. I sit perfectly in them (5'9) and my backseat is not useless, I drive around with my Mom and sister all the time and they have no issues getting into the backseat.

Had these in my car for about 2 years now.

Jabooh1

Established Member
I have had the CR1 in a old mustang. Used it for 3 years and the driver's side bolster near the door wore through. I rubbed it getting in and out and the seem gave. I was able to stitch it myself and it held till I sold the car.

Good seats. Held me pretty well. I was doing auto cross in the car.

Smarties

Established Member
jymboslice can you post a pic of your A4 in your car. I'm interested in that model and want to see what it's look like in a 2012 mustang. I'm 5.10 and 175 lbs so I would probably fit well in them.

DNT H8

Established Member
Great thread it needs to be 10 pages with pictures...

Couple things to note... can we get exact weights for:
GT base - ?
GT premium - ?
Recaros - ?

Considerations around the Airbag light with aftermarket seats... also I hear 13-14 recaros will pop a air bag light in a 11-12 car?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
jymboslice can you post a pic of your A4 in your car. I'm interested in that model and want to see what it's look like in a 2012 mustang. I'm 5.10 and 175 lbs so I would probably fit well in them.

I'll be out of town for a few days so it'll be awhile for me to take pics. They fit in the car just like the stock seats do. I have a 33" waist and fit the seats perfectly, I even slide around in them sometimes.

My fav of the corbeau's... What seat brackets you use? You do not sit to low?

I Used the shit corbeau brackets. I sit perfectly in the seat, perfect height and everything. My steering wheel is not even at the bottom of it's adjustment range.

I purposely adjust my seat in every car I own to sit as low as possible, I feel like i'm more in control when i sit lower in the car.

Badlilstang

Established Member
I can agree with the above comments about the Recaro's making the back seat near useless.. I am short and even though I am up close there still isn't much room behind me.

JW03

Established Member
I can agree with the above comments about the Recaro's making the back seat near useless.. I am short and even though I am up close there still isn't much room behind me.

Yep! When I put the recaros in mine I did the laguna seca x brace and eliminated the backseat

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
If I cant find a 14' with the recaro's for a deal I am going to go with these...

Sparco R100's - in vinyl
Sparco-R100-Vinyl-Sport-Seat-2.gif

Cloth (prefer vinyl)
dsc00947t.jpg

00961%20Black-black.jpg

$660 for the set - off sparco's website, what a steal!

Last edited:

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
Well thanks for ruining the thread with oversized pics lol

apologies, too lazy to host just to downsize. You dont have dial up, you'll survive ;-)

How much weight would you save with those Sparcos in wide version vs leather premium seats?

Cory, I dont believe Sparco makes them in "wide-version". However they are designed to fit "medium to large frame" people according to Sparco's website

NON-recaro leather premium seats? The R100's are made out of steel and weigh 26.9 pounds. I am not sure how much the OEM seats
weigh but I would bet they are easily DOUBLE that weight, so over 50lbs. Especially since they come with airbags and some of them powered!

After discovering the R100's I may opt out of buying the recaro's on my 14' I am about to order. The price point is great, and Sparco makes
quality everything

Last edited:

DNT H8

Established Member
Couple things to note... can we get exact weights for:
GT base - ?
GT premium - ?
Recaros - ?

Considerations around the Airbag light with aftermarket seats... also I hear 13-14 recaros will pop a air bag light in a 11-12 car?
Waitingggggg :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread