Aftermarket Shifter and Warranty

DocSVT

Established Member
Just got my new MGW shifter and am dying to put it in. But the car is scheduled for warranty work next week (replacing broken seat belt retractor). Should I wait? Has any one had a bad experience with aftermarket shifters voiding the power train warranty. Does everyone remove their aftermarket shifter before going to the dealer?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Play it smart and do the shifter install after your visit with the dealer. Most dealers are cool with shifters but not all. And as has been ofter said, Ford seems to look for ways to void warrantees. If you just can't wait I wouldn't personally sweat it but playing it safe is definitely the better way to go IMO.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
if you are going in for a seat belt I can't see why they would be looking at your shifter. I had my tri-ax on when I took my car in for tob issues multiple times.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
magstang1 said:
if you are going in for a seat belt I can't see why they would be looking at your shifter. I had my tri-ax on when I took my car in for tob issues multiple times.
It depends on the dealer. If you think it can't happen just do a search and you'll find otherwise. Some dealers go out of their way to void warrantees. LOL! Others are cool about certain mods. The point is that it CAN happen, which is why many of us say if you can remove your mods when going into the dealer do it. If it isn't practical, don't. But one thing is for certain. When you start any modding you run a risk. The more mods the higher the risk. And certain mods (pulley, chip, etc.) are very dealer unfriendly.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
I'm not saying it won't happen. I'm just stating personal experience. If it were me, and it was not installed yet, I would probably wait until service work is done. In my case it was in, and had been for a while. Definately be ware of the risk you take.

Users who are viewing this thread