aging cobra

RickwithCobra

Established Member
Hey guys my 96 cobra has bout 120,000 miles on it, and it has been burning oil, but only when i get on it, at normal operation the car is running great and after driving it for an entire rotation of oil without getting on it, it is pretty good on oil, not much is burned, but after a weekend of having fun or so i have to put a good 1-2 quarts in. So my question is what would actually be causing this?

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
ur rings r shot and other misc parts...u will need a rebuild soon...o u can just keep pouring oil in her and it will run forever tht way..

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Honestly, burning oil is normal in these modular motors

But if you are not exaggerating and you have to put in a quart or two after a weekend of hard driving..then you have other issues at hand.

Do a compression test when you get the chance [check the plugs while you are at it as well] ...if one or more of the cylinders is low..put a drop or two of oil in the cylinder and do it again, if it raises the PSI then that would be the sign of a bad piston ring.

F8L BYT

Established Member
Like chris said these mod motors burn a little bit but not that much. Sounds like its getting past the rings or valve guide seals are bad, does it smoke when you start it up after it has sat for a while?

You need to do a leak down test to really check it out

RickwithCobra

Established Member
no it does not smoke after start up, only on woot, but yea thanks for the info guys! i will be doing a compression test soon

96mystic_915

Established Member
ok mine burns oil if it sits for a while like if i let it sit for the weekend it burns a lil oil on start up but thats from bad valve stem seals i know this because when i bought the car the previous owner had 20w 50 in the car and i quote" because i didnt want to change the oil that often" is what i was told but after going back to factory specs the car does not tick or knock just when i let it sit for more than a day it burn just a lil oil on start up

Users who are viewing this thread