ahhh... almost a 100 hp less. WTF

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
so question for you all...
I got out of work today, and a buddy next door came out on the road in a 2009C63 AMG mercedes. My question is, how the hell does a 451 hp mercedes that is only 50 pounds less then my 550 hp cobra have such an easy time walking away from me and me only having a chance after like 90+mph? Now lets not forget, both of us have NEAR DUE ALMOST BALD tires, and we both are decent drivers. This guy and me went at it like 4 times, yea at the end after triple digit speed I was reeling him fast, but WTF... now I got to deal with his chirping :p what went wrong here? or what needs to be corrected. Okay yes the almost done tires are in favor of the factory-tractionful mercedes, but still... 100 hp more in my car!!??

and also...for the people with a 2011 gt500... and for the owners that DRIVE HARD no matter what.... how long do your clutches go without slipping?? I am trying to figure out if its my clutch or just the tires are that bad it feels like its my clutch.

say we both had brand new tires on the rear, who would smash who in a race?

blkvenm97

Established Member
you would think that with similar weight and 100 extra horses you could walk him but maybe it's got somethin to do with his tranny and/or the gearing? maybe that's why he pulled up to 90. Also maybe since you have a lot more power that you spun more on bald tires than he did? anything can happen on the street i guess....good runs

Stryker27

2Vbeliever
Established Member
my guess is the tires hurt you badly....

I myself get the how did you beat me when I have more horsepower deal alot....lol putting the power to the ground is always the answer. Those AMG's hook very well if I recall. very little spin.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
My neighbor has the same car. We ran a bit and off the line he destroyed me.... no chance. Those cars put all of the power to the ground right away. Dont feel bad it is a well engineered car with high end electronics managing the power. With that car there is no driver error... the car does it all.

CobRoush-00

Established Member
Horsepower don't always win races. Those German cars hook very well. I know that first hand because I also own an Audi A4 Quattro 3.0L. My Mustang has 385 HP and that's over a 160 HP more than the Audi. On a side by side, the Audi will pull away and the Mustang will have to catch up. I guess as some other members have said earlier in the thread, it's about putting the power to the ground, it's about torque, it's about gears, etc... Many factors come into play. Don't be too upset, the C63 is an awesome car. Hope you have a better luck in the next run.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Both roots style blowers? Just curious to know how the AMG compares to the GT500.
C63 don't come supercharged, the older X55 did. Funny thing, they are actually slower than the older supercharged 55 (well the E class, the C class came with a v6)

O.P something is wrong with your Cobra or the tires are holding you back badly. The C63 trap anywhere from 114(local highest I've seen stock), that's also the coupe. Pullied Cobras usually trapped 118.
The E55 is faster than the C63 and is the one that gives a pullied Cobra a run for its money.

EDIT: I thought you had a Terminator but looks like you have an 11 GT500 which from what I've seen is also a good run against the pulled Cobra.
So you should be in the same ballpark.

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
what where your AIT's looking like? Heat soaked maybe? The rest would be what the other mentioned..... Torque, gearing, etc....

S8ER01Z

Established Member
C63 don't come supercharged, the older X55 did. Funny thing, they are actually slower than the older supercharged 55 (well the E class, the C class came with a v6).

My ignorance is showing, I saw AMG and instantly thought supercharged.

Thanks!

ArabianOak

Established Member
I had a Crossfire SRT/6 (same car as c32AMG benz) that only put 315RWHP to the ground and ran 12.1@113 on every single pass.

The trannys on those cars are disgusting and all you do is sit back and sip on your starbucks as your racing.

Before it was tuned it ran mid 12's at 110ish...here is the video of me DESTROYING a much heavier SRT/8 with way more power than me.

Thats the difference between an american auto and a german auto back then...(2008). The new american autos are alot better!

Chrysler Crossfire SRT/6 destroys SRT/8 - YouTube

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
The Germans have it figured out when it comes to putting the power to the ground. I love Cobras, but I'll take my 911 Turbo from 0-retarded against anything. No drama, no wheelspin, no excuses, just gone. Every time.

But, there is something special about the sound of an American V8 that the Porsche will never be able to match! :rockon:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I had a Crossfire SRT/6 (same car as c32AMG benz) that only put 315RWHP to the ground and ran 12.1@113 on every single pass.

Wow that's an impressive jump from stock for so few mods. I ran one on my way back from Chicago about 6 years ago and put 1.5 lengths on him coming out of the tolls (I was still stock). Very quick car and had me confused since at the time I had no idea they made the srt6 and a crossfire should have been an easy kill.

Last edited:

ArabianOak

Established Member
Wow that's an impressive jump from stock for so few mods. I ran one on my way back from Chicago about 6 years ago and put 1.5 lengths on him coming out of the tolls (I was still stock). Very quick car and had me confused since at the time I had no idea they made the srt6 and a crossfire should have been an easy kill.

yep...all I did to mine was pully intake and tune and it ran 12.1@113 on stock tires.

I remember a guy in a convertable cobra with a few mods running 12.2@119 to my 12.1 next to me that day...lol. He look very baffled as well.

Users who are viewing this thread