Air Ride shockwaves are great, but Shockwave Titaniums are greater !!!

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
I can never leave well enough alone, and Air Ride does not help that problem one little bit........they just keep making cooler and better stuff, and I nor any of you can resist something when it is "cooler or better".....:D

Last year I pulled the trigger on a full set of Shockwaves and the Air Ride levelpro/ridepro e2 control system, I took it to the road course at Watkins Glen International, and as you guys know that damn air suspension layed the smack down on the track, much to the surprise of alot of people.

The parts: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-mother-all-ups-deliveries-dialup-beware.html

The build: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...opefully-3-link-airride-suspension-build.html

The track: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2nd-generation-22/517267-track-pitstain.html

Before purchasing the shockwaves I was chatting with one of the engineers there about how I would love if someday they made shockwaves based on a high pressure gas monotube shock, as that is a proper road race shock.

Seems the guys at Airride were thinking the same thing and built these bad boys. The Shockwaves are based on a Chris Alston Vari-Shock, which is a great high quality twin tube shock.

The new Shockwave Titanium units are based on an AFCO M2 "Traction" shock, which is a very pimp racing item, and even tougher than the already stout standard shockwave. They also have the new Infrared internal ride height sensors by default, whereas they are an option on the standard shockwaves.

3727750704_c5db255187_b.jpg

Double adjustable, just like the previous twin-tube Varishock based shockwaves, but now monotube, with external resevoir and 100psi of Nitrogen gas :)

Compression rebound adjuster:

3727752548_3ec14583f8_b.jpg

Rebound adjuster:

3726950001_839d305fef_b.jpg

No more urethane bushings for me, I went with a 5/8" upper bearing and a spherical lower with the t-bar mount for our lower control arms, which is a perfect fit. This picture also shows the swivel banjo connection for the hose that feeds oil to and from the external canister.

3727753832_a15a0c9895_b.jpg

Even the Nitrogen pressure is adjustable if needed, mine were charged to 100psi, but they can be charged up to 200psi or as low as, well nothing, so there is a standard tire stem style valve for charging.

3726951937_771443a7f5_b.jpg

Now the standard shockwaves are nothing to laugh at, they handle and ride amazingly well, but I have been dreaming of something like this.

Last night I pulled out my spiffy original shockwaves and dropped in the new Titanium units.

before:

3726956489_73b3b69d77_b.jpg

After: (not very dramatic since they are the same size....)

3726961163_627138d5aa_b.jpg

My TEMPORARY mounting of the external canisters, I needed to do mockup first, I ordered some tidy clamps today....don't bust my balls. :bolt

3727764450_7138ac7ee2_b.jpg

Now my impression on these new and improved shockwaves.

Ride quality is just as smooth, but the control over dips is improved quite a bit, I am still playing with the compression and rebound settings, but initial results are great.

Brake dive is controlled even better, a nice gas monotube excels in this respect over conventional twin tube shocks without having to crank the valving up to the point of discomfort.

With the sperical breaings as opposed to the urethane I found the steering response to be improved as well, with NO increase in perceived road noise or harshness whatsoever.

I only put these on the front so I can quantify the changes, and it is easily noticeable now when the front and rear tires hit the same bump, due to the nitrogen bladder in the Titaniums, they soak up small road imperfections much better, I only know I drove over something small when the rear tires hit it now, and when I hit something big the difference is readily apparent. These is a reason road race cars AND baja trucks run external resevoir shocks, THEY WORK !! and keep the tires smoothly and firmly in contact with the road.

Well that is all for now, I will get more seat time with these bad boys, and add in the Titaniums in the rear of the truck as well soon, but I am very pleased so far.

Great job Air Ride !! :beer:

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Looks good man! Air is nice.. I am still happy with my static drop though.. can't justify the $$$ for air (yet)

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
sweet! i want air for my truck! :bowdown:

id probably be more than happy with the standard set up though. just want to go looooow and ride nice and soft. :coolman:

want to sell your old set up Pity? :thumbsup:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Nice...is that stuff rated for quarter mile duty?:beer:

i would think it would be great. air up the front as much as you can and air down the rears. most likely all four corners are not connected so you wont have any transfer of air from front to rear. you'd essentially be forcing all the weight to the rear of the truck. at least that's what im theorizing.

airbags are fun as hell! i cant imagine having speed and bags to boot! :D

*sigh* one day....

im glad to see these bolt in kits kick ass so well. shops around here charge about $5-6k for bags installed :bored:

pitstain

Established Member
looks good bro.

:banana:

Nice write up Ian!!
:beer:

Thanks bud

Looks good man! Air is nice.. I am still happy with my static drop though.. can't justify the $$$ for air (yet)

It seemed like the logical step with me driving around in NYC, I can just air it up a bit for rough roads.

Badass stuff, plain and simple. :rockon:

Gracias Bob :thumbsup:

Thats I'm talkin bout!

:rockon:

sweet! i want air for my truck! :bowdown:

id probably be more than happy with the standard set up though. just want to go looooow and ride nice and soft. :coolman:

want to sell your old set up Pity? :thumbsup:

The old stuff is already sold, and yes it rides super smooth, but handles like a beast.

Nice...is that stuff rated for quarter mile duty?:beer:

For sure it is, there is a 1500 drag car with a full airride setup, they have a vid on their website.

:fart:

i would think it would be great. air up the front as much as you can and air down the rears. most likely all four corners are not connected so you wont have any transfer of air from front to rear. you'd essentially be forcing all the weight to the rear of the truck. at least that's what im theorizing.

airbags are fun as hell! i cant imagine having speed and bags to boot! :D

*sigh* one day....

im glad to see these bolt in kits kick ass so well. shops around here charge about $5-6k for bags installed :bored:

Well bags yes, but speed I don't have tons of, only a measly 380-400 hp.....:bash:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Well bags yes, but speed I don't have tons of, only a measly 380-400 hp.....:bash:

well thats about 100hp more than 95% of the bagged trucks out there lol. 50% of them are S10s with about 200hp :smmon::-D

pitstain

Established Member
well thats about 100hp more than 95% of the bagged trucks out there lol. 50% of them are S10s with about 200hp :smmon::-D

LOL, yeah tell me about it, we are rolling out to the Carlisle All Truck Nationals next month, FINALLY there will be a bagged truck at the show that can burn rubber instead of titanium drag blocks.

Man you are definately the "Suspension Guru."

That setup looks amazing. Nicely done.:beer:

Well the other Guru posistions were all filled.......:dancenana:

Myers%20Love%20Guru.JPG

Nothin like electrical tape and wire ties:poke:
Looks good Ian, I wana ride in it next year

Don't be illin on my zip ties yo!

Of course you can be a passenger for a drive session.

(I just can't say to a dude "sure i'll give you a ride" LOL)

Ian, those vids are sick!!

Glad you posted a link to that thread!

Stewart

Thanks Stewy :beer:

pitstain

Established Member
Figured I would update the thread, at least to prove I do not love zip-ties as much as some may think.

I picked up some stainless steel 2" clamps from McMaster, and lined them with mastic. The guys at Air Ride are working on Billet clamps, which I may go for, but these are fine for now, or the next 5 years.....

Pardon the craptastic pictures, I forgot the Nikon at home, so the iPhone had to do the job.

3786807130_ebfbf85905_b.jpg

3786808500_a867e299d1_b.jpg

I must add, after 3 hours on the road yesterday, I have determined I love these new Shockwaves, they literally float over road imperfections, but stick in the corners like nothing I have ever experienced. The standard Shockwaves were great, but really, the Titanium series are well worth the small additional cost.

Users who are viewing this thread