Aircraft Hydraulics question

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Hello everyone,

I'm leaving for basic training at the beginning of April, and I've already been assigned a job working on Aircraft Hydraulics. My question is does anyone else here do this line of work, and if so what type of experience can I expect from this job?

yelostang

Established Member
Hello everyone,

I'm leaving for basic training at the beginning of April, and I've already been assigned a job working on Aircraft Hydraulics. My question is does anyone else here do this line of work, and if so what type of experience can I expect from this job?

Had some friends do that...expect to be dirty, very very dirty.

markw351

Established Member
I've been a hydro troop for over 18 years. I have not worked on aircraft for quite a few years just because of promotions but i did work aircraft maintenance on the flightline. Honestly, I loved it but it's not for everyone. As far as what to expect well, it depends on a lot of factors like what aircraft, base, whether you are backshop or flightline maintenance. It can get messy but i would prefer to be maintanence over some "non-er"(as in not maintenance). You will hear that term often. You will learn more than just hydraulic work eventually so expect to learn other jobs like crew chief stuff, engines, electronics, etc. Your specialty might be hydraulics, but just face the fact your job is aircraft maintenance. I worked the flightline on C-130s for 12 years and it is a very easy aircraft for hydro and not all that busy. Now i'm stationed at a KC-135 base and hydro is busy as shit. Feel free to ask me anything.

Last edited:

TaraFirma

Established Member
Which branch? Its different for each. If it's army, you will be in a large AVIM unit and rarely do your job. Lots of sitting On ass in aviation support battalions

203Cree

Established Member
Which branch? Its different for each. If it's army, you will be in a large AVIM unit and rarely do your job. Lots of sitting On ass in aviation support battalions

Possibly. Or he'll be AVUM, and be a busy mofo. I know we keep our hydro guys gainfully employed.

motorider228

Established Member
Now i'm stationed at a KC-135 base and hydro is busy as shit. Feel free to ask me anything.

Off topic: Are the booms Hydraulically powered? Is that why they suck? I'm an engine troop and I would love to work KC-135's, all I hear is good stuff about those motors. As for hydraulics and F-16's (the air frame I work) I have never seen a hydro troop out on the line. APG always works the hydro problems. I don't even know if we have hydro guys on this base....

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Thanks for the info everyone, and I'm in the Airforce. I didn't know much about the job other than it's something to do with working on landing gear. If it's a messy job I think I might be able to handle it. It'll probably be a big departure from what I'm doing now anyways... painting/working on cars. Are there any good bases I should know about? I know I may not get to choose which base but I'd like to know if it's worth going to.

clbailey

Established Member
Dont request Langley. ACC headquarters, maintenance world sucks here, no individuality. The Group runs all the shops, not shop chiefs.

Try to get on any AMC base, AMC is an easier life than ACC. They fly real world stuff, while in the Fighter world, its nothing but working on jets so a pilot can have his training record up to date.

And yes you do get to pick IIRC, 5 CONUS bases and multiple OCONUS bases in basic. We call it a dreamsheet.

Last edited:

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I didn't know much about the job other than it's something to do with working on landing gear. If it's a messy job I think I might be able to handle it.

In addition to landing gear, flight controls, engine pumps, aux pumps, one could go on... oh my! Some jobs are just messier than others. I can tell you C-5 hydro guys are usually pretty busy, C-17 hydro... not so much.

Maintenance can be a pretty demanding career field. If you like working on cars, chances are you'll like it. As soon as you find out your base and squadron, you'll know what you are working on.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
Aviation structual mechanic(AM) was my career field. The Navy used to have two seperate rates(AMS for structures) & (AMH for hydraulics). I was mostly a squadron('O' level) so that distinction never mattered. We were responsible for both areas of the aircraft. The intermediate level maintenence is specialty specific, although they no longer are seperate rates. It's an NEC driven thing at that level. Hydraulics are just another system, but with far greater emphasis placed on cleanliness & fluid purity than just about any other system except for oxygen systems. Tactical jets,props, & helicopters are more forgiving to work on in terms of coming to contact with the fluid than 'heavies' that use Skydrol fluid (e.g DC-9's & military derivitaves). Navy/USMC use mostly MIL-PRF-83282 which is similar to working with automatic transmission fluid. Most systems operate at 3000 psi.

Last edited:

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Very helpful information, and thanks for everyones input. Another thing I'm wondering is about the dangers of those hydraulic lines. I know that lines under those extreme pressures can burst.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Very helpful information, and thanks for everyones input. Another thing I'm wondering is about the dangers of those hydraulic lines. I know that lines under those extreme pressures can burst.

From the failures that I have seen, its usually a component or the end of the line that lets go. Things like wiggins fittings tend to "blow and flow," making a nice mess. The real dangers come from misting leaks (inhalation hazard) and the pinhole leaks, imagine 3k psi going out a 2mm hole... bad news there. It is second nature to the aircraft MX/flying community that when there is a hydraulic leak to immediately depressurize the system that is losing fluid.

Safety is a BIG priority in our line of work. Basically, in tech school... they beat safety into your head. When you get to your 1st base, you will be constantly trained & supervised while doing tasks. Tech data is full or warnings, notes and cautions. A gee whiz note; several hydraulic components have allowable leakage rates.

I'm an Electrician on C-5/C-17's and I love being in maintenance. When I can, I like helping the Hydro troops change out parts. Depending on the airframe it can be a tough job at times. Let me add, it is incredibly rewarding when you fix a jet and see it take off, knowing that YOU helped get it in the air.:beer:

markw351

Established Member
You wont be performing maintenance while the lines are under pressure unless you are performing leak checks at which time you should be wearing your protective equipment and keeping your distance a bit. Its not the bursting lines that are the most dangerous it's the pin holes. Obviously you don't want to have the fluid come in contact with your eyes or even skin for that matter but thats what the protective gear is for. It can be had to work at times in goggles and gloves but i'm telling from experience...deal with it. i was performing a leak check on a break change and had a fitting split in two right in my face. No i was not wearing my goggles. Stupid. My eyes burned for hours and were purple for days. Luckly for me there was no long term affects but i learned the hard way that i had better follow my tech data. pin holes on the other hand could cut you or inject hydraulic fliud into your skin. A pin hole leak will usually create a mist. Just don't go running your hands across pressurized lines or leaking component if you suspect a pin hole. Anything you do when it comes to aircraft can be dangerous. Just follow your tech data and all the safety precautions and be smart and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

markw351

Established Member
From the failures that I have seen, its usually a component or the end of the line that lets go. Things like wiggins fittings tend to "blow and flow," making a nice mess. The real dangers come from misting leaks (inhalation hazard) and the pinhole leaks, imagine 3k psi going out a 2mm hole... bad news there. It is second nature to the aircraft MX/flying community that when there is a hydraulic leak to immediately depressurize the system that is losing fluid.

Safety is a BIG priority in our line of work. Basically, in tech school... they beat safety into your head. When you get to your 1st base, you will be constantly trained & supervised while doing tasks. Tech data is full or warnings, notes and cautions. A gee whiz note; several hydraulic components have allowable leakage rates.

I'm an Electrician on C-5/C-17's and I love being in maintenance. When I can, I like helping the Hydro troops change out parts. Depending on the airframe it can be a tough job at times. Let me add, it is incredibly rewarding when you fix a jet and see it take off, knowing that YOU helped get it in the air.:beer:

Hmm you beat me to it.

OU812

Established Member
I've been hydro now for 10 years, I've worked C-130's, C-17's, and I'm in a backshop now. I'm not a fan of backshop at all, it's the same thing over and over and over. I'm at a C-130 base and all we do is rebuild brakes and actuators and we don't do that much of it, the base I'm at only has about 4-6 planes at a given time because of deployments. We only turned out 28 brake for last year period! I loved being on C-17's, the hydro system on that plane is damn good so it hardly ever breaks. It gives you time to learn other peoples jobs and eventually might get you a chance to fly. I flew as a flying crew chief for 4 years and I loved it, I made a ton of money and got to fly all over the world and be a part of some really cool stuff.

As far as bases go, you have to take the good with the bad. You might have a crappy squadron but the area will be great or it could be the other way around. I've been stationed in Germany, South Carolina, and now Japan. Japan has been my least favorite base so far.....just not impressed with anything here really.

How many years did you sign up for? Our career field had a re-enlistment bonus for the first time in a long time, did they give you a signing bonus?

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Ou812 I signed up for four years. Unfortunately the only bonuses were for the guys who dismantle bombs, and mines... stuff of that nature. I think it would be cool to be stationed in Germany, or Japan... Of course you say your not impressed with Japan. Is there anything specific about the foreign bases I should be aware of?

Users who are viewing this thread