Airmen to receive MOH.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
"Washington (CNN) -- President Obama will award the Medal of Honor, the military's highest award for bravery, to Air Force Chief Master Sgt. Richard Etchberger for his valor in saving the lives of three wounded comrades at a then-secret base in Laos in 1968, the White House announced Friday.

After Etchberger saved his fellow airmen, he was shot and killed by enemy fighters.

His heroics were kept a secret for years because the United States wasn't supposed to have troops in Laos during the Vietnam War. President Lyndon Johnson rejected a nomination for Etchberger to receive the Medal of Honor at the time because of the political trouble it could have stirred up.

Etchberger was part of a secret U.S. Air Force radar base in northern Laos, just 120 miles from Hanoi in North Vietnam. The base's purpose was to guide U.S. bomber crews on their missions over North Vietnam and parts of Laos that were under communist control.

Laos was officially neutral during the war, but its leaders were upset that North Vietnamese troops and Viet Cong guerrillas were moving through Laos to attack U.S. troops in South Vietnam. So the Lao government allowed construction of the U.S. radar site provided it was kept secret, according to Tom Keany, an Air Force B-52 squadron commander during the Vietnam War and currently a military historian with the School for Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University.

In March of 1968 North Vietnamese troops attacked the site, called Lima Site 85, with a force of 3,000 soldiers against fewer than a couple dozen U.S. airmen and about a thousand Laotian soldiers.

Eventually, American helicopters were sent in to evacuate the Air Force personnel, but by then eight Americans had been killed and several more wounded. It is considered by some the deadliest ground attack against Air Force troops in the entire Vietnam era.

According the White House, Etchberger deliberately exposed himself to enemy fire "in order to place his three surviving wounded comrades in the rescue slings permitting them to be airlifted to safety."

It took an act of Congress in 2008 for Etchberger to be reconsidered for a Medal of Honor so long after the war had ended. In most cases, the medal recommendation must be made within two years of the act of heroism for which it is to be awarded.

Rep. Earl Pomeroy of North Dakota helped push for the reconsideration. Etchberger was a native of Bismarck, North Dakota.

"Chief Etchberger was denied the Medal of Honor because he was serving his country on the wrong side of a geographic barrier," Pomeroy said in written statement. "Heroism knows no boundary. While it's regrettable that this medal is coming forty years after Mr. Etchberger's death, I am honored to be part of the effort that recognized this true hero."

The ceremony for Etchberger, which will include his three sons, is scheduled for September 21 at the White House."

40 years late but at least he's getting his deserved recognition.

Last edited:

03cobraracer

Established Member
yeah definitely late but hes getting what he has deserved all these years. RIP to a true american. im sure his sons are very proud.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Awesome! I wonder if this will be a more common scenario with SF group in this Afghan/Iraq War....

usmcrebel

Established Member
Wow, how were you able to meet so many?
That's awesome. I"d love to shake hands with a MOH recipient.

there was a Gala in Huntsville where 26/86 MoH guy were being honored and share their stories. I was invited to go to the dinner they had for them. i will see if i can post some of the pictures up when i find them lol. Sulley Sullenberger was also there, he truly is a soft spoken quiet man. Watching a lot of their reactions were humbling and i cried at a few parts and no shame of it either.
These men are national treasures...they embody EVERYTHING we as a nation stand for. If you come to Alabama i can introduce you to one.

Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation

2010 Huntsville In the Company of Heroes Gala

Medal of Honor Gala: In the Company of Heroes | flashpoint

Last edited:

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
there was a Gala in Huntsville where 26/86 MoH guy were being honored and share their stories. I was invited to go to the dinner they had for them. i will see if i can post some of the pictures up when i find them lol. Sulley Sullenberger was also there, he truly is a soft spoken quiet man. Watching a lot of their reactions were humbling and i cried at a few parts and no shame of it either.
These men are national treasures...they embody EVERYTHING we as a nation stand for. If you come to Alabama i can introduce you to one.

Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation

2010 Huntsville In the Company of Heroes Gala

Medal of Honor Gala: In the Company of Heroes | flashpoint

That's awesome. I remember you posting a couple pics in the "famous people you've met" thread a while back.

If I ever make it out that way I'll take you up on your offer.

usmcrebel

Established Member
I think you've got me mixed up with someone else...these are the only famous people i've met lol (for the most part). a few country singers at toys for tots kinda thing.

Just let me know! Oh and the MoH winner was in the Hanoi Hilton with McCain...

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I think you've got me mixed up with someone else...these are the only famous people i've met lol (for the most part). a few country singers at toys for tots kinda thing.

Just let me know! Oh and the MoH winner was in the Hanoi Hilton with McCain...

I went through the thread I was talking about and it was someone else. He had met a couple at a gun show.

I'd hate to have some of his dreams. :uh oh:

usmcrebel

Established Member
You don't think there are some highly classified ops where people performed at the MoH level?

no, the very nature of their work makes them not exist...Do i think some of them should earn it probably, but the MoH isn't just an award for the medal chasers...it's not about the individual who receives it, it's about the ones that never can b/c they will never come home again. It's a different kind of award...it's hard to explain, one day i hope you can ask a MoH recipient what the medal really means...it' blew my mind.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
You don't think there are some highly classified ops where people performed at the MoH level?

I'm sure of it. Personally, I think that PJs deserve a lot more than they actually have (two, I believe), since what it takes to earn an MoH is essentially their job description. Then again, the "beyond the call of duty" part is probably what kills it, because what they do that is "beyond the call of duty" for another serviceman is just another day in the office for them. Same goes for other high-speed folks. It's just that a lot of what they do needs to be kept under wraps.

Incidentally, a movie is being planned about "Pits" Pitsenbarger, a Vietnam PJ that won an Air Force Cross. The movie is about the research and the fight to eventually get him his MoH: William H. Pitsenbarger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Here's a PJ that should get the MoH IMO. Takes some balls, grit, intestinal fortitude, stones, etc. to do what he did.

The President of the United States
Takes Pride in Presenting
The Air Force Cross (Posthumously)
To

Jason Dean Cunningham
Senior Airman, U.S. Air Force

For Services as Set Forth in the Following

Citation:
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Title 10, Section 8742, U.S.C., awards the Air Force Cross to Senior Airman Jason D. Cunningham for extraordinary heroism in military operations against an opposing armed force while serving as a pararescueman near the village of Marzak in the Paktia Province of Afghanistan on 4 March 2002. On that proud day, Airman Cunningham was the primary Air Force Combat Search and Rescue medic assigned to a Quick Reaction Force tasked to recover two American servicemen evading capture in austere terrain occupied by massed Al Qaida and Taliban forces. Shortly before landing, his MH-47E helicopter received accurate rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire, severely disabling the aircraft and causing it to crash land. The assault force formed a hasty defense and immediately suffered three fatalities and five critical casualties. Despite effective enemy fire, and at great risk to his own life, Airman Cunningham remained in the burning fuselage of the aircraft in order to treat the wounded. As he moved his patients to a more secure location, mortar rounds began to impact within fifty feet of his position. Disregarding this extreme danger, he continued the movement and exposed himself to enemy fire on seven separate occasions. When the second casualty collection point was also compromised, in a display of uncommon valor and gallantry, Airman Cunningham braved an intense small arms and rocket-propelled grenade attack while repositioning the critically wounded to a third collection point. Even after he was mortally wounded and quickly deteriorating, he continued to direct patient movement and transferred care to another medic. In the end, his distinct efforts led to the successful delivery of ten gravely wounded Americans to life-saving medical treatment. Through his extraordinary heroism, superb airmanship, aggressiveness in the face of the enemy, and in the dedication of his service to his country, Senior Airman Cunningham reflected the highest credit upon himself and the United States Air Force.

Users who are viewing this thread