AKO, CAC READERS, PKI and the Mac

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
ok I am still in the process of setting shit up and have 3 days to get it finished up. I am hoping some of you guys will be helpful in getting me closer to being done.

I want to be able to get to ATCTS, AKO, and some other places on my MAC the way I can on Windows. The problem is that while I can get to AKO some of the other places are asking for the DOD certificates which I don't have yet, and cant figure out how to get them on without a CAC reader. any Help out there?

the next thing - Do any of you have a CAC reader on your personal MAC Laptop? I know you can get them and there are about a dozen that are recommended on the various DOD webpages. I would like to get one that is currently in use rather than try to sort through the list.

For those in Afghanistan or have been in Afghanistan. are there any restrictions on the size of Mail that are different than the standard 108"? i.e. can I still mail those black trunks that we could mail to and from Iraq? From what I have seen the answer is yes but I would like to have it confirmed since things change and the webpage doesn't always get updated very quick.

Thanks for the Help.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
ok I am still in the process of setting shit up and have 3 days to get it finished up. I am hoping some of you guys will be helpful in getting me closer to being done.

I want to be able to get to ATCTS, AKO, and some other places on my MAC the way I can on Windows. The problem is that while I can get to AKO some of the other places are asking for the DOD certificates which I don't have yet, and cant figure out how to get them on without a CAC reader. any Help out there?

the next thing - Do any of you have a CAC reader on your personal MAC Laptop? I know you can get them and there are about a dozen that are recommended on the various DOD webpages. I would like to get one that is currently in use rather than try to sort through the list.

For those in Afghanistan or have been in Afghanistan. are there any restrictions on the size of Mail that are different than the standard 108"? i.e. can I still mail those black trunks that we could mail to and from Iraq? From what I have seen the answer is yes but I would like to have it confirmed since things change and the webpage doesn't always get updated very quick.

Thanks for the Help.

Not on MAC, sorry. I have downloaded all on my personal PC and can do every thing. Why do you need certificates without a CAC reader?
Google?
Also a message came out recently saying CACs needed to be updated. Have you deployed already? If not go to the local MP station for updated CACs, if there is a reserve station nearby they are faster than big Army for updates and CAC renewals. take you system to them and they will likely help.
Can you logon without a CAC? If so you can find the Certificate download section.

Last edited by a moderator:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Not on MAC, sorry. I have downloaded all on my personal PC and can do every thing. Why do you need certificates without a CAC reader?
Google?
because I don't have my CAC yet and you don't have to have it to do a lot of stuff if you have the certificates. I have them on my PC and can put them on my virtual windows, guess that is what I will do.
Also a message came out recently saying CACs needed to be updated. Have you deployed already? If not go to the local MP station for updated CACs, if there is a reserve station nearby they are faster than big Army for updates and CAC renewals. take you system to them and they will likely help.
Can you logon without a CAC? If so you can find the Certificate download section.
Nope don't leave till Friday for Atterbury. Probably going to get my CAC tomorrow at camp Mabry in Austin. I will probably stop on the way home and pick up a reader at Frys.

Thanks for the replys

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
because I don't have my CAC yet and you don't have to have it to do a lot of stuff if you have the certificates. I have them on my PC and can put them on my virtual windows, guess that is what I will do.

Nope don't leave till Friday for Atterbury. Probably going to get my CAC tomorrow at camp Mabry in Austin. I will probably stop on the way home and pick up a reader at Frys.

Thanks for the replys

Easy enough Dave. Just go to the AKO homepage and it has all the instructions/links for getting certificates.
IE I use for CAC at home but Firefox woks well with the PW and UN.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
well I got my CAC today. realized I don't leave till Saturday so have all day tomorrow to get the final stack of little things done. Stopped at the BX on my way home (it was right next door to the CAC office lol) and picked up a reader. now all I have to do it get it to work with OS X

Easy enough Dave. Just go to the AKO homepage and it has all the instructions/links for getting certificates.
IE I use for CAC at home but Firefox woks well with the PW and UN.

BABVenom98

Established Member
Getting CAC Reader to work with OS X is easy. I setup mine up in less than an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
That was my understanding. but for some reason the one I got doesn't like something. There is an article on Militarycac about how to fix it so I have to spend a little time reading and updating the firmware I think. for some reason they took native CAC support out of Mountain lion apparently.

Getting CAC Reader to work with OS X is easy. I setup mine up in less than an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
That was my understanding. but for some reason the one I got doesn't like something. There is an article on Militarycac about how to fix it so I have to spend a little time reading and updating the firmware I think. for some reason they took native CAC support out of Mountain lion apparently.

One thing to know or remember is PW must be changed by CAC. So setting up initially may require one.

Let us know if your Mac and CAC mate.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Travel rant no. Two. Seems like the USO now has a national policy that contractors and DOD are not allowed to use their facilities. Active duty and retired military only. I am not amused. I used to toss 50-100 bucks in their donation jar every time I went through. Guess I won't be doing that anymore.

DaleM

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Travel rant no. Two. Seems like the USO now has a national policy that contractors and DOD are not allowed to use their facilities. Active duty and retired military only. I am not amused. I used to toss 50-100 bucks in their donation jar every time I went through. Guess I won't be doing that anymore.
Want to use my AKO account? I may be able to set you up as a family member or something like that. i may be able to set up an additional account too. Just thinking out loud. I hope I don't go to jail now.

USO I am saddened now.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member

Can't say I blame them. It is designed for soldiers not contractors. And while your donation is great, it's probably also quite rare.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
RDJ you can buy them online and download the CAC program online, i had to do this, my old laptop crashed and i looked up Navy CAC progam and just simple download. as far as the piece, try ebay or wherever, they're not very expensive, hope it helps.

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
Everytime I hear someone talking about their CAC I think of this.

TERMINALLANCE_zps2e3b7a4b.gif

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Can't say I blame them. It is designed for soldiers not contractors. And while your donation is great, it's probably also quite rare.
actually it is more common than you might think. a LOT of contractors really appreciated the fact we could hang there while waiting on military shuttles, or a long connection and a fair number of us expressed it with donations. MANY of them sizable (not bragging just stating a fact). I found out later why the policy was changed and while I understand the rational and don't blame them I still will not be contributing.

RDJ you can buy them online and download the CAC program online, i had to do this, my old laptop crashed and i looked up Navy CAC progam and just simple download. as far as the piece, try ebay or wherever, they're not very expensive, hope it helps.
yeah I got a 20 collar one from the BX but it was on the "these have problems list". didn't have access to the list when I was at the BX. the BX here on atterbury didn't have them at all. I will be able to scarf one from stores when I get to Jalalabad if I cant get one from the PX in Kuwait.

Everytime I hear someone talking about their CAC I think of this.
TERMINALLANCE_zps2e3b7a4b.gif
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: too funny

Want to use my AKO account? I may be able to set you up as a family member or something like that. i may be able to set up an additional account too. Just thinking out loud. I hope I don't go to jail now.

USO I am saddened now.
LOL thanks man but I am good will keep that in mind tho. I found out that the reason the policy was changed is because a few asshole contractors considered it a RIGHT and not a privilege and got nasty over something and cause a scene. I guess it happened once or twice too often. had I heard them I would have at least tried to get them to shut up.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

Ordie

Established Member
When? I was there Dec 03 to Oct 05

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 08 - June 08 and Dec 09-Mar 10. We did 4 month rotations. The helo unit I was with was there since 05, before that they were in Baghdad.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread