all 4th gear run with 911 turbo

65mph_Roll

Established Member
I had a 90-140 all 4th gear run with what I’m pretty sure was a 2011 Porsche Turbo. He actually went first and I followed. I expected to lose by a lot. I actually expected to get raped having read the ¼ and trap speed on these 500hp cars. Anyway, from an all-4th-gear roll (for me), he only pulled about ½ a car. I was just about to hit 6,500rpm in 4th and he lifted (I’m glad, I would have quit anyway) (conditions were great, but that’s enough). I got next to him hoping to do a thumbs up or wave, but he wouldn’t even look over (and he had his young wife or girlfriend with him, he was 50-something).

I really hesitated to post this with all the naysayers: But using 15% drive train loss, he’s at 425rwhp. I’m at 404 rear wheel by dyno and 3660lbs + me only (no passenger), he’s at 3516lbs (w/PDK tranny) + him + passenger. That's a close power/weight matchup. I really had to digest those numbers because C&D has these at 11.0 @128 in the quarter. Not today, at least from a fourth gear roll.

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
I had a 90-140 all 4th gear run with what I’m pretty sure was a 2011 Porsche Turbo. He actually went first and I followed. I expected to lose by a lot. I actually expected to get raped having read the ¼ and trap speed on these 500hp cars. Anyway, from an all-4th-gear roll (for me), he only pulled about ½ a car. I was just about to hit 6,500rpm in 4th and he lifted (I’m glad, I would have quit anyway) (conditions were great, but that’s enough). I got next to him hoping to do a thumbs up or wave, but he wouldn’t even look over (and he had his young wife or girlfriend with him, he was 50-something).

I really hesitated to post this with all the naysayers: But using 15% drive train loss, he’s at 425rwhp. I’m at 404 rear wheel by dyno and 3660lbs + me only (no passenger), he’s at 3516lbs (w/PDK tranny) + him + passenger. That's a close power/weight matchup. I really had to digest those numbers because C&D has these at 11.0 @128 in the quarter. Not today, at least from a fourth gear roll.
I can't believe it, but maybe you mixed up the years or he was just playing.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Definitely sounds like it was a standard non-turbo 911. OP's car isn't making anywhere near the power to run with a Turbo. That or the 911 never down-shifted.

65mph_Roll

Established Member
That would of been ugly for you, like 10+ car ugly!

That's what I thought too. But if 500 crank HP is about 425 wheel, and I'm 404 wheel, and we weigh about the same, why 10-cars??? Both are force induced torque strong.

Doing that math was the only reason I bothered posted knowing the magazine racer experts that would respond.

And, BTW, I'm in So Cal so Turbo's are pretty common...it was a turbo...not a real big deal here!

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
That's what I thought too. But if 500 crank HP is about 425 wheel, and I'm 404 wheel, and we weigh about the same, why 10-cars??? Both are force induced torque strong.

Doing that math was the only reason I bothered posted knowing the magazine racer experts that would respond.

And, BTW, I'm in So Cal so Turbo's are pretty common...it was a turbo...not a real big deal here!

A turbo weighs in at about 3400 pounds... not sure where your getting the same weights from. Also Porsche's are known to only carry about a 10-12% drivetrain loss compared to a normal FE/RWD car that carries usually a 20% drivetrain loss.

Last edited:

65mph_Roll

Established Member
A turbo weighs in at about 3400 pounds... not sure where your getting the same weights from. Also Porsche's are known to only carry about a 10-12% drivetrain loss compared to a normal FE/RWD car that carries usually a 20% drivetrain loss.

from the Porsche web site, with PDK (which pretty much everyone buys here) and he had a passenger, I did not - read the OP, weight would be about the same.................about 425rwhp vs. 404rwhp...I lived it! Very happy with Terminator 4th gear pull to 140!

Technical Specs - 911 Turbo - All 911 Models - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
The big sticking point is that the trap speeds of the two cars would be about 15mph apart bro thats huge.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
from the Porsche web site, with PDK (which pretty much everyone buys here) and he had a passenger, I did not - read the OP, weight would be about the same.................about 425rwhp vs. 404rwhp...I lived it! Very happy with Terminator 4th gear pull to 140!

Technical Specs - 911 Turbo - All 911 Models - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

I hear you... Congrats on the close one! Reel him in next time :beer:

Congrats on the close race take it but for what it was worth, I think the driver either sucked or wasn't all the way in it. Also, you cant make the assumption for sure that it was or wasn't PDK. One thing I am curious of did you happen to notice if the taillights were L.E.D or standard bulb?

65mph_Roll

Established Member
I hear you... Congrats on the close one! Reel him in next time :beer:

Congrats on the close race take it but for what it was worth, I think the driver either sucked or wasn't all the way in it. Also, you cant make the assumption for sure that it was or wasn't PDK. One thing I am curious of did you happen to notice if the taillights were L.E.D or standard bulb?

Thank you NJ03SVTCobra. No, I didn't notice if LED or not, it was pretty bright outside, but it had all the scoops of the "new" model and of course turbo badge on the back. The "old" model was 480HP...

From a 90mph roll, this was the result. And I don't think anyone "plays around" on the way to 140 as someone said. You're pretty much committed.

65mph_Roll

Established Member
The big sticking point is that the trap speeds of the two cars would be about 15mph apart bro thats huge.

My thoughts exactly, but again:

approx 425 RWHP vs. 404 RWHP

approx same weight, both forced induced torque monstors

no launch control, etc. advantage from a 90 MPH roll for porsche

anyway, I'm done defending position. that's the way it went.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
i had a run in with a porsche like this too, new body style, the rear just read "turbo" and it had LED lights and what appeared to be a motorized spoiler. We went from 70-130 and we were dead even...gave me thumbs up...at the time i had intake/or h pipe/and tune....i cant really believe other it actually happened to me...i googled it and everything came back 911...probably the older model, :shrug:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
those pdk's are highway monsters---a lot more involved to racing than just power.

i hate calling b.s. on kills, but a turbo porsche lays the smack on a stock or near stock cobra--those are just the facts dude. at 90mph you're pretty low in 4th gear as well. i just don't see a pdk porsche edging out a stock cobra, it would be ugly. i don't even think a pulleyed cobra would run anywhere near a newer turbo porsche.

as stated, there are like 30 variations of the 911's

F8l Vnm

Established Member
The new 998 Turbos are really nasty. My buddies stock 2011 turbo gives my bolt on C6Z06 all it can handle from a roll, so while I appreciate the run and the story there is no way that could have been a turbo , maybe non turbo model yes but a Turbo model would destroy a pretty much stock 04 cobra.

Also 1QUICK10TH Why would any one waste their time racing from 90 to 140? Because some would like to know how the cars match up . rather than having to calculate driving error/ etc.
Easier way to find out who makes more power.

Users who are viewing this thread