All ACCUFAB owners check for this!!!!!!!

trey193

Established Member
I have been hearing several people saying they are losing 25-30 lb of TQ across the rpm range with the Accufab, so I had pondered taking mine off and going to the track with the stocker this weekend. So I went out to the garage and decided to take a look inside the Accufab, and to my surprise I noticed that along the bottom side that there was a terrible misaligment of the accufab where it mates with the blower housing. Everyone go out and have someone open the butterfly all while looking at inside with a flashlight or shoplight and towards the bottom of the plenum where it mates to the eaton, and see if there is a niticeable lip that is present. I had heard someone say that there is a lot of casting variances from Eaton to Eaton just wanting to know if everyone that has the Accufab setup has this as well, it cant be helping power at all!!!!!!!!

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I thought this was an issue along time ago with the Accufab unit and they fixed it. Is there still a problem?

finally

Established Member
I'd like to know myself as I am about to purchase a new TB, whether it's a BF or Accufab, I'm not sure yet. I'd hate to throw money away or have to modify it myself to make it work right!!

Silver 03 Cobra

Thanks trey, I'll check mine. A few months ago I installed one on my buddies 03 and it almost fell off at the track. Two screws were completly gone and the other two were barley holding. These are the four screws that hold the TB to the inlet tube. I got flamed pretty good by one person on here and the distributor blamed me for the install. He didn't even listen. It was the four screws that were installed by Accufab. You can't tell an excuse maker anything because the crap level is already past his eyeballs. I finally bought one and I re-tightened the four screws. This was about four months ago. I was out working on my engine and I happen to look at my TB and the front top screw was about to fall out. The lower front was completely loose and the back two were not even snug. I tightened them up but one weekend I'm going to put some blue Loctite on mine.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
IMHO its not worth the PITA. With all the problems and the reported losses with the TB's have me worried. I have yet to see any solid gains from either MFR...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No problems with mine. My Accufab works very well with my 2.90 pulley. I did not do a before/after dyno test but my SOTP dyno said I picked up a bit of power and torque. By the way, these single blade throttle bodies work best with more boost. I've heard of very few gains on Cobras with only an intake/exhaust mod along with the Accufab, but a number of people here have noted gains with an increase in boost. I for one would not go back to my stock throttle body.
:rollseyes

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
TB gains are not worth the problems IMO. A ported eaton sounds like alot better investment for the same $ (if results are real)

jason

trey193

Established Member
I didnt make this post to get opinions if the throttle body works or not, I made it hoping everyone who have Accufabs would go out and see if theres was also misaligned. You damn thread hijackers!!!;-) Make yourselves useful!!!:)

Steel City Pimp

Established Member
Sorry to hear about that Trey. Seems like I keep hearing and seeing more and more bad things about TB's & Headers:shrug: I wish you would of made it up this weekend, it was pretty cool. Maybe next time!:beer:

Last edited:

trey193

Established Member
Thanks 03DOHC yeah mine mates perfect where the throttle body connects with the plenum but when I hold open the butterfly and look in with a shoplight there is a noticeable lip meaning the lower part of the Eaton is smaller than the accufab opening and a pretty big lip at that. Come on all you Accufab guys check this out and let me know!

FordFreak

Established Member
Anyone try the BBK? I felt very noticable gains at all RPM.
I was very surpised as I normally do not give BBK any respect.
I'll post dyno soon...

hockeypuck_74

Established Member
I have a BBK and the plenum was ported by Brian from Shelley Performance in Spokane. I gained about 12rwhp and have no problems with it whatsoever.

FordFreak

Established Member
I have a small problem with mine. When the engine is running the air flow seems to hold the blades closed. So I have to press the pedal pretty dam hard to break that "bind" it has. When I overcome the bind my foot slams the pedal down and the car takes off too fast! haha It really sucks. I think I'll swap it out for a new one.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by FordFreak4.6
I have a small problem with mine. When the engine is running the air flow seems to hold the blades closed. So I have to press the pedal pretty dam hard to break that "bind" it has. When I overcome the bind my foot slams the pedal down and the car takes off too fast! haha It really sucks. I think I'll swap it out for a new one.
The throttle plate is sticking. Turn the stop screw 1/4 turn at a time until the sticking goes away. Don't go crazy with the screw! Only make small changes. Make sure you check and adjust your TPS afterward if needed. :)

FordFreak

Established Member
Hey 03DOHC, dont you think I already tried that? lol
That doesnt work. When the engine is OFF the blade opening is smooth and the pedal feels great. Its right when I start the engine is when they "stick". I sprayed dykem in the throttle body and notice the blades touch at the top and not at the bottom. So air is coming in from the bottom of the blades. That means the air flow is pushing closed the blades.
I think the TB is bad. I'm getting a new one and we'll see what happens.

ALA G8R

Banned
Originally posted by trey193
Thanks 03DOHC yeah mine mates perfect where the throttle body connects with the plenum but when I hold open the butterfly and look in with a shoplight there is a noticeable lip meaning the lower part of the Eaton is smaller than the accufab opening and a pretty big lip at that. Come on all you Accufab guys check this out and let me know!

trey193,
I did a quick check of mine and I too have a very slight lip along the bottom edge. It does appear that the eaton intake is slighty smaller than the Accufab plenum.

I don't see how this would negatively affect performance however. If it were the other way around, ala plenum smaller than eaton, I could see a negative effect. But that is not the case.

Peace!

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by ALA G8R
...snip... If it were the other way around, ala plenum smaller than eaton, I could see a negative effect. But that is not the case.

Peace!

Consider that it is way easier to open up the plenum then to enlarge the opening in the blower. BF leaves their plenum intentionally smaller for exactly this reason, core shifts in the EATON. I am going to portmatch mine as soon as I get it, should be today:coolman:

trey193

Established Member
Took the dremel to mine today, knocked that lip down a little bit prolly didnt gain me anything but I feel better at least but there is still a lip present, I may swap my stocker back on just for kicks because I have heard several people say they lost a bunch of TQ with a TB??????

Users who are viewing this thread