All Black Interiors

1QWIK4.6

Established Member
I have a question about the different shades of black used in some of the Cobras. I attached a few pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. I've been looking to get another 96-98 Cobra, and some of the pictures I've came across got me wondering. How common is it to have a Grey airbag in an all black interior? Also, where the dash meets the bottom console, it looks like two different interiors were pieced together. Some of the ashtrays even look grey. I used to have a 98 Cobra with Black interior, and I know it wasn't two different shades of black. How many of you guys have interiors like this?

Copyof100_17771.jpg

11549137718261529404IM109565x421_A5.jpg

2007_0210Rushmore0004.jpg

Last edited:

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Seems like the dash clock, pass airbag, ashtray door, and window defrost vent where painted to match the radio bezel. My bezel use to be that color before i painted it.

jokerwylde

Established Member
The airbags could possibly be replacements, as well. My mystic was rear-ended back in december, and got held up in the body shop because they couldn't locate a new passenger airbag in black. I ended up having them get one in that grey color, put it in, then I got some SEM dye and sprayed it black to match the dash.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
The airbag in the first pic is definitely a replacement. The other parts may be faded from the sun. My interior is solid black.

uofipilot

Established Member
Yeah, mine is solid black.

And the red interrior belongs to a member here, kwikie. He made a thread a while back about it, and I think he decided to replace those pieces and go back to all black? It was like that from the previous owner.

32VDOHC

Established Member
Aren't the interior pieces dyed at the factory anyway? Looks like a bad batch of material or sun fade to me.

NoviBlown92

Tire Smoker
Established Member
I have a solid black interior and the only piece that doesn't match 100% is the trim piece around the radio and CD player. If it's in the sunlight it has a more greyish look than the rest of the black. Not sure if it was replaced before I bought it. But it's not off by as much as that pic you posted.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I have a solid black interior and the only piece that doesn't match 100% is the trim piece around the radio and CD player. If it's in the sunlight it has a more greyish look than the rest of the black. Not sure if it was replaced before I bought it. But it's not off by as much as that pic you posted.

+1, same here. The airbag does look like it was replaced. I forget the year, I think it's 99 that they switched from black to charcoal colored interiors.

ARdoller

Established Member
easiest way to tell, is go by the year of the car. if any of those cars in the first post are supposed to be a 98, 98's had a different center console and no stand-alone clock.

seeing a different colored airbag cover just makes me assume the car might have been in an accident at one point, and maybe whoever replaced the interior pieces found a matching steering wheel cover, but not a passenger side airbag cover.

i dont think charcoal was ever an interior option when black was available, so i dont know why they would dye them different shades from the factory.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I ended up having them get one in that grey color, put it in, then I got some SEM dye and sprayed it black to match the dash.

Got a link to the stuff you used? Is it a PERFECT match? is it made specifically for our color black?:shrug:

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i've never seen an interior that speratic as far as two tone. i want to go all black with mine though. i painted the upper half of my doors with duplicolor fabric and vinyl paint and it worked really good i'm just procrastinating on painting the whole thing.

94svtford

Think with your dipstick
Established Member
you dont have a airbag replacement i have a 98 all black and my airbag is the same way, its 2 different materials even though they look like the same vinyl and they just fade differently thats all..

CFCreations

Established Member
The radio suround plastic may be different shade of black because the plastic it is made out of is not ABS plastic like some of the other interior pieces.. the radio bezel is a polycarbonate blend of plastic.

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
My console looks to be off in some pics. But isn't noticeable in person. My carpet is faded to gray! lol. I will replace it when I have another daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread