All of the header questions...

Zevox

Established Member
I'm on a pretty big mod spree lately and want to go ahead and finish up my N/A build for now with some headers. I really need *good* information on the subject. I've been hearing all kinds of things on that Facebook page and want some better opinions, I trust you guys more. I am also adding a boss manifold to my current mod list along with a real tune.

First off, 1-3/4 or 1-7/8. I've heard that 3/4 is enough for n/a and fi, you should do 7/8 if you're going fi, and 7/8 is better period. I really need this clarified... I might eventually go FI but that won't be until I pay my car off so a year or two down the road. I might get some nitrous since it's much cheaper but that isn't in my immediate plans.

Next is what brand? Can't beat the price on BBK and JBA but is it worth it to spend the extra and get the "good stuff"? I don't want to drop $1,500 on kooks or ARH but if it will show gains then I'll just save up longer and get them. Don't want to be buying headers and installing them more than once... While we're in the brand subject, is anyone using MBRP? I have their catback and like it but I don't hear much about their longtubes.

Last is the midpipe options. Catted or catless, X or H? I'm sure you leave some horsepower going catted but how much do you really lose? Are cats worth having to cut some of the noise down, I'm worried my exhaust will be hilariously loud catless. Are the X and H pipe the same numbers wise and purely for sound preference?

I think that's all I wanted to know... thanks in advance for everyone's info. And I know theirs a search button, but my phone and it do not get along.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I went with kooks 1-3/4. I wanted headers more so for sound then anything. Anther reason kooks, is fitment. They're not a longtube header, they're an equal length header and see the same gains as ARH or SW.

Going from off road X, to longtubes and off road X, I picked up 9rwhp peak, but gained everywhere. This was before/after, similar weather conditions, only change made was going from a off road X, to kooks 1-3/4 LT's with the matching off road X

KooksvsManifoldsSAE5_zps53445379.jpg

BadHabit2Break

Established Member
I went with the JBA setup. LT + Catted H pipe.

My main concern was emissions and price. JBA fitment was excellent. As far as loudness, I run the Magnaflow Street AB and it is just fine. I dont wake the neighbors up anymore. I used to have SLP Loudmouths.

2012 Mustang GT w/ Magnaflow Stree Axlebacks - YouTube

As far as power gains, butt dyno says yes....but I have not been on a dyno to actually see yet. Fixing to go E85 and will know for sure.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
we have some great buys that you won't have to be spending a ton of $$ on.

The stainless power is the best bang for the buck in a high quality header. It's 304 stainless just like the stainless works. Best material of an inexpensive header out there.

Another great performer is the pypes stepped header. 1 3/4 to 1 7/8.

we have all the big names too, but if you don't want to spend money, those are the 2 we lean too.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Pretty much all the brands will net the same power range. It's quality, fitment, and location that makes them different. Kooks, American Racing, and StainlessWorks are the best hands down made longtube. My biggest appreciation is that they are made in the States still. The JBA and Pypes is a VERY popular brand to get as well and they do work. On N/A cars, the 1 3/4" is all you need. And the 1 7/8" will help with a blower.

We sell a lot of all the brands and offer good pricing too if your interesting.

Zevox

Established Member
What's the Pypes stepped header thing about? I've heard people say they perform well but never anything more than that.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
it's a "stepped" design, meaning it starts off as 1 3/4, and blows out to 1 7/8

The advantage of stepped headers is that they allow you to have the best of both worlds. You have the low end TQ of a 1 3/4" header, and the high RPM HP capability of a 1 7/8" header.

The 1 3/4" initial primary pressurizes the exhaust gas more to start, then the rest being 1 7/8" allows the header to flow a large amount of exhaust.

Kind of a one size fits all.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
^ correct. The step design has been around a long time and a lot of the racers run them Used to cost a pretty penny too but Pypes offers it without the cost. They do make power and one of the main reasons we like to use and sell them.

cb900f

Established Member
How much hp would a FI setup gain going from a off road-x to a 1-7/8 header?

I assume more than a N/A but does anyone have any before/after dyno numbers?

Users who are viewing this thread