All you pulley guys...

S04T

Established Member
OK guys I have been given some information by a local Ford service dept and I wanted to see if it matches up with what you have experienced. The short of it is that my local dealership says that there is a "special" 03/04 pulley puller that they have to order in order to swap my upper for me. This I can understand but then they quoted me $350 to pull it off and press the new one on...plus they would need to the car overnite because if the engine is even the slightest bit warm it will warp or the shaft.

Did you guys all wait until the motor was completely cold? What kind of puller did you use? I guess I dont mind paying the $350 if thats the way it has to be done, just want to hear from you guys if there is much truth to this.

Thanks in advance!!

VADEi2

DAl2K FOl2CE
Established Member
Buy the puller from one of the vendors on here and pull it off yourself. You will save $200 and have the puller at your disposal. Billet flow sells one or go on lethal's website. Don't give those guys your hard earned money. Look at the how to on this section there should be a detailed picture on step by step instructions for you.

$350 sounds about right by the Ford manual, in terms of labor. It probably will take their techs 4hrs to swap the pulleys. :lol:

Black Sex

Established Member
I used a grand prix GTP pulley puller that a buddy had. Its basically the same thing. The only thing I had to do is remove the coolant crossover pipe. Not a big deal. It took me maybe 45 min to do the whole job.

S04T

Established Member
Just ordered one from Lethal, thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it! :beer:

BTW, did you guys wait till the car was cold or just let it cool of for a few minutes and pull it off?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I`ve always done them cold, but that`s because the cars have been sitting. Make sure you get a tune for that after the swap.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
i drove to my brothers car shop...parked the car...swapped uppers....and drove off. car was warm.

nothing is warped...everything is fine.

the whole pulley swap process took a whole 20 - 30 minutes, from start to finish.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, I had my tuners swap the pulley and put new plugs in. Then dyno tuned it. I think they charged around 250.00 for pulley swap,plugs, and changing the belt. That way I didn't have to buy/rent the puller and worry about screwing something up, as they've done plenty of pulley swaps.

Slow99x

Established Member
I have heard that it is better to do it while the engine is warm. Just make sure you use gloves.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I agree, wear gloves, and make sure you protect the coolant reservoir tank with some cloth as the puller can slip and cut/crack the reservoir. Ask me how I know!

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup: I hope to have the new pulley on by this weekend!! :burnout:

i bought a used one off here, pulley took about 20 min to change. even if you buy a new one you can resell it after and still save a bunch of cash over the dealership

SpectorV

Established Member
its a pretty darn simple procedure and if you take your time and get a friend to help you can put a pulley on in a matter of 10 minutes. I rented BilletFlows puller for 50 bucks and did it myself. Thats what I would do if I was you. I wrote a how to on my experience

Supercharger Pulley Install on 03-04 Cobra Mustang

I was quite scared to undertake it but I took my time and read up info on it and all went well. Its just pressed on, pulling it off straight is the only real crucial point.

antiv6

Established Member
when i got my car tuned i drove to the shop and they put it on with the idler and belt for $75. Car was warm.

mi_l123

JDM = Just Dust ME
Established Member
its a pretty darn simple procedure and if you take your time and get a friend to help you can put a pulley on in a matter of 10 minutes. I rented BilletFlows puller for 50 bucks and did it myself. Thats what I would do if I was you. I wrote a how to on my experience

Supercharger Pulley Install on 03-04 Cobra Mustang

I was quite scared to undertake it but I took my time and read up info on it and all went well. Its just pressed on, pulling it off straight is the only real crucial point.

that's a real good write up :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread