All you running wide tires are doing it wrong!!!!

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
KISS:

softer rubber = better grip
wider = better grip

get a wider and softer compound tire = you'll hook better

IMO a 305 or 315 on a 10.5 rim

acobra03

Established Member
Ok, so I read every post in this thread and have more questions now then before I started reading. On a stock 18inch rim am I better off running 275's or 325's? I'm a novice driver. Mods, 2.6 pulley, CAI, UCA and LCA's and factory gears. Am I better with 275/45 or a 325/40? I'm thinking the wider lower profile tire but now I"m not sure. :shrug:

niceguyyy01

Established Member
Yes, the guy is right, but like someone said.... we are not dealing with all-out race cars that are designed to run a smaller tire, we are dealing with 4000lb cars designed (more or less) for road style racing. I ran OL10.5 a few years back, my car was a double frame rail 4-link car and yes it was faster with the 10.5's, but that is how I set the car up ie: boost controller, suspension, weight placement, etc.

A wider tire may slow you a little, but it makes hooking the car consistently easier. Why do you think the bracket cars that go 9.90 or even 8.90 use 33x15's? Sure the car would be faster with a 33x10.5, but if the track is not perfect and more importantly they don't have the suspension tuning skills.... it might hook one time, then not the next.

I guess my point is this: If you are looking for every last tenth and can dedicate the time (and money) to tuning the suspension for the track conditions... then you'd be silly NOT to use the skinnier tire (275 vs 325 or larger).

I know i got out of drag racing a few years back, but I bought this car to have something nice to drive when it's pretty outside and because it has nice lines and power. Do I want to make 750whp? Of course, but that is the HP junkie in my blood. But I definitely don't want another drag car. If that was the case, I'd have started out with a regular old GT and done it right from the start... but not with this car. Sorry rant over.

raycutchins

Established Member
I've told a dozen people about the 18" 275s from M&H and most insist on going wide. The 18 x 275 is a phenomenal tire. M&H's simply hook. If I was running stock wheels, I'd be all over them. The only downside is you have to have the gear to run the 28" height.

bj

The 275/60/15's hook really good. I played with tire pressure Friday night, but I will have more information after Pony Wars next weekend. They hooked just like you said they would. Umm maybe low 10 or high 9, umm.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
oh hello.....
IMAG0267.gif

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
You will love the tires! Best ones Ive used to date. They do good at 13.5 psi for me

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread