All you running wide tires are doing it wrong!!!!

VaporSnake

Forever Slow
Established Member
hahahahaha just thought i'd inform you all that run anything over a 275 drag radial at the track you're doing it all wrong... I told a novice racer who is going to but 275 MH DRs on a set of bogarts that he should really run a wider tire and i was told that wider is not better due to rolling resistance and that because the 275 drag radial professionals do it all the time and that... i told him that okay i've been doing it wrong all these years i need to put my skinnier front tires in the rear and run like that... and that all these guys running 345s are doing it wayy wrong... yeah here's the part of the conversation... enjoy and feel free to give input... lol

me- ummmmmmmmmm why 275s for a drag radial... that makes absolutely no sense...

him - why 275's for a drag radial? They hook. They're light. They have less rolling resistance. They're cheaper. And they tuck with the stock sway-bar. That's the reasoning I got.

me - AHHHH i got it i should take my front wheels with the 275s and put them on the back and my 295s in the front because the 275s are going to hook better... are you really saying that the 275 is a better drag radial then a 305 (or wider)??? I guess i've been misinformed all these years??? i'll let me buddy know whos putting 345s on his gt500 that he's doing it all wrong... thanks for the insight...

him - If you really want to go there brian, the largest factor that determines the amount of traction a tire can produce is equal to the coefficient of static friction times weight (mgu). No where in there is surface area involved. It is the compound, not width, that plays the important role. To further my point, the amount of drag a 305 or 345 will produce on the top end is only working against you. If you don't believe me, then ask the guys that are in the 275 drag racing class. They've gone 6.80's @ 200+mph. I highly doubt your GT500 even makes enough power to go 10's, much less 6's. And if you're going to pull the "those aren't Mustangs!" argument, then look at Justins's 5.0. They are going to run 9's at 140mph on a full weight 2011 GT with 275 M&H drag radials. In all, yes. Your friend is doing it wrong...

CPRsm

Ehhhh, he's kinda of right. Static friction or no, a wider tire does help. Now the percentage you increase the width, is not equal to amount you will pick up. Not even close actually. those guys also run at GOOD tracks, with boost controllers. Also run wings for down force, and the big one, Back halved cars. When you have all the right components to go in a straight line, the tire can definitely be smaller. Tell some of those guys to take their boost controllers, wings and 4 links out and see how they run on 275's. If "smaller was always better" under any circumstance, they would run 225's. I think the guys running 275 wouldn't mind a larger tire either.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
yes a 275 can hook with big power if your suspension is set up right. However for most of use we are not doing the big suspension mods to get our tanks to run a 275 effectively. you can look at the whole x275/outlaw 275 movement to see how fast a car can go on a 275. however most of those cars do not tip the scales at 4000 lbs nor do they get street driven.

wider is not always better, however for most of us it's a compromise as we are not full out race car owners/drivers.

CPRsm

Only advantage I have seen is some guys like a touch smaller on some chassis's because they can hit the tires harder without them shaking. That's why a lot of guys like the 315's over 325's

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
275 will hook up about 500 HP off the line. 325's about 650. With boost controlled turbo's. You can adjust so you are only making 500 off the line. By mid track your making 8 to 9 hundred or more. Its just like the 10.5 cars. They come off the line with 600 and end with 1800. With a blower, we don't have that option.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
yes a 275 can hook with big power if your suspension is set up right. However for most of use we are not doing the big suspension mods to get our tanks to run a 275 effectively. you can look at the whole x275/outlaw 275 movement to see how fast a car can go on a 275. however most of those cars do not tip the scales at 4000 lbs nor do they get street driven.

wider is not always better, however for most of us it's a compromise as we are not full out race car owners/drivers.

Perfectly said

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I've told a dozen people about the 18" 275s from M&H and most insist on going wide. The 18 x 275 is a phenomenal tire. M&H's simply hook. If I was running stock wheels, I'd be all over them. The only downside is you have to have the gear to run the 28" height.

bj

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Which M&H tire are we talking about? Link?
Im not going back to the Hoosier quicktime pros this year, and looking for a new rear tire setup for the strip.

Users who are viewing this thread