All you SVT Rifle Freaks

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
With current times the way they are I am looking into getting a rifle of some sort. Tactical- Like Ar10 or 15, M4, something to that effect. What would you suggest. I would like to stay at $1000 but $1500 seems more realistic.

I would love a weapon like a G36 but i know those are class III and i can not have one legally. Maybe a UMP45.

I would also like it to be a smaller sized weapon. Folding stalk, short barrel that sort of thing. More or less for home invasion.

What are the best ones out on the market??? Any ideas or recommendations???

AMNick

Not sure you want a rifle for home defense. That's a lot of power, especially if you have "friendlies" in the house. Missing and shooting through walls would be bad if your wife and kids are on the other side of the wall. I would recommend a decent tactical or home defense shotgun like the Mossberg Home Defender shotgun.

If you want the scary black rifle look though, a carbine like the Beretta CX4 Storm in 9mm might do the trick. The magazines are interchangeable with some of their pistols too, so you could have the mags ready to go, and select between the CX4 and the pistol depending on the situation.

If you really want to go with more power, the AR15 platform is extremely versatile as far as accessories/calibers/mags/stocks go. And IF you can find one, a decent one can be had for around $1000-1500 once it is all said and done.

I have a Bushmaster XM15, but for things that go bump in the night, I go for my shotgun and a pistol as backup. The sound of a pump action shot gun being racked can be a great audible deterrent to a bad guy without a shot ever being fired.

-Nick

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
I have a Kimber .45 and my hunting shotgun(over under) but i want something with a little more.........mean look and something to take out and shoot every once in a while.

DrZacharyus

Banned
We need a weapon forum, screw exercise. It depends what you want specifically, you have to state your needs so we can supply you with the correct rifle to suit them. If you want something just to plink targets and spend oogles of money modding stick with an M4 or AR platform. If you want something to protect yourself and shoot longer distances and mod as well I would stick with a M1A or a PTR-91, M1 will run you about 1,500-2,000 and a PTR-91 will run you under 1,000. I own both and LOVE them.

Last edited:

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
The M4 and M1A are both excellent rifles. You would do well with both. If you had to get just one I would get the M4 because it is more versatile and you would probably spend less. But you wouldn't do yourself justice until you got both.

DrZacharyus

Banned
The M4 and M1A are both excellent rifles. You would do well with both. If you had to get just one I would get the M4 because it is more versatile and you would probably spend less. But you wouldn't do yourself justice until you got both.

I beg to differ on the statement, the M4 is less money but the M1A is WAY more versatile. The only difference is fire rate, which doesn't matter for a non-automatic M4.

Alloy Snake

Established Member
Good choices listed-Shotgun is best home defense,PTR 91 is built on a H@K platform-Very nice,A new Mini 14 is $650 or so and it will need a trigger job for $60.00,and a mean looking stock about $120.00 and comes in different calibers now.Gotta love the AR platform,I am having a custom upper built for mine in 6.8SPC,More versatile than 5.56.If you got gun questions I do have a little experiance.

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
The M1a and M4 are both semi. The M14 is the fully automatic one. The .223 is a better round for home protection which is why the op wants a rifle. A shotgun would be even better, but... The .308 had no business indoors. The m4 would serve him better by being able to protect the home and is still accurate at 400 yds. I believe the M1A is a better rifle imho, but for home defence I will lean toward the m4.

lilphillysvt

tommyguns
Established Member
you can get a g36 clone, which is semi only. there expensive. the guy who did my familys ump conversion sells them for around 5 grand and up. only thing is i hear alot of people dont like now they feel once the get one or have the conversion done. your better off just sticking with a ar15. theres so much you can do to a ar15. m1a is a great rifle too, i wouldnt use it for home defence tho, your better off with a shotgun. we own two national match m1as, there great weapons. i even own a vietnam scope for my one m1a that did three tours in vietnam with kills.

DrZacharyus

Banned
The M1a and M4 are both semi. The M14 is the fully automatic one. The .223 is a better round for home protection which is why the op wants a rifle. A shotgun would be even better, but... The .308 had no business indoors. The m4 would serve him better by being able to protect the home and is still accurate at 400 yds. I believe the M1A is a better rifle imho, but for home defence I will lean toward the m4.

It depends on the model of M4, the M4A1 has option for full-auto rather than three round burst, this doesn't matter as he will own semi-auto. I agree on home defense being the M4, the .308 will go through walls when a .223 fragmentation round will disperse most of its energy on impact with any object. Which would hopefully be the intruder.

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
We need a wepon forum, screw exercise. It depends what you want specifically, you have to state your needs so we can supply you with the correct rifle to suit them. If you want something just to plink targets and spend oogles of money modding stick with an M4 or AR platform. If you want something to protect yourself and shoot longer distances and mod as well I would stick with a M1A or a PTR-91, M1 will run you about 1,500-2,000 and a PTR-91 will run you under 1,000. I own both and LOVE them.

Home Security For when times get bad and we're all just trying to survive and hold off thieves. Something like a UMP45 but an M4 or something is not out of the question.

Close combat, reliability, not to pricey. At some point I'm going to want an ACOG scope or something to that effect. I like the looks of AR's and the G36 looks great but too pricey for me.

Last edited:

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
OP, buy a tactical rifle and a shotgun; use the shotgun for everyday home defense and use the rifle for when the poop really hits the fan, like a Katrina or Rodney King riot. Your liability increases when using the 'scary black rifle' as opposed to a shotgun, at least that's how a jury in a civil suite will see it.

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
OP, buy a tactical rifle and a shotgun; use the shotgun for everyday home defense and use the rifle for when the poop really hits the fan, like a Katrina or Rodney King riot. Your liability increases when using the 'scary black rifle' as opposed to a shotgun, at least that's how a jury in a civil suite will see it.

Exactly why i want a tactical rifle and why i already own a shotty

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
Just picked her up!! Tactical carbine 16" man and post ban features so it's legal, but i would get it shorter if not illegal in NY... BUSHMASTER FTW

Last edited:

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Exactly why i want a tactical rifle and why i already own a shotty

Right on :thumbsup:

I personally favor the M14/M1A and have several of them, but I also have several AR's and a Mini-14. If I had to pick one it would be my LRB Arms Semi-M14; they are, hands down, the best M14/M1A made in America today and the only manufacture of hammed-forged M14/M1A receivers left in the country.

Check 'um out here M14 Rifle

-

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
It depends on the model of M4, the M4A1 has option for full-auto rather than three round burst, this doesn't matter as he will own semi-auto. I agree on home defense being the M4, the .308 will go through walls when a .223 fragmentation round will disperse most of its energy on impact with any object. Which would hopefully be the intruder.

But an M4 with 1:7 twist barrel firing 69gr steel core will penetrate a helmet at 800 yards. For home protection, use a shotgun.

M1 (Garand, .30-06) or M1A (7.62x51 / .308: SA version of M14): if you can see it, you can kill it. (And no, I do not meant to imply that 7.62x51 is identical to .308 - similar, but not identical. Look it up)

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
But an M4 with 1:7 twist barrel firing 69gr steel core will penetrate a helmet at 800 yards. For home protection, use a shotgun.

M1 (Garand, .30-06) or M1A (7.62x51 / .308: SA version of M14): if you can see it, you can kill it. (And no, I do not meant to imply that 7.62x51 is identical to .308 - similar, but not identical. Look it up)

The FBI has done extensive research on the .223 indoors. It is actually safer to use than a 9mm. It will tear its self apart after traveling through a few inches of flesh. The 9mm may or may not. after traveling through a ply of sheet rock, space and another ply of sheet rock the .223 will be less dangerous than a 9mm round. Hence why alot of agencies are dropping the mp5's for short barreled AR's. The .223 travels extremely fast out of the muzzle. When it contacts flesh it almost explodes after it starts to yaw. Conventional pistol rounds do not. And neither do shot gun's. People should actually start looking into some of the myths that are out there.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
Just breezing through..Just want to point a few things out.
It is NOT illegal to own a class 3 weapon..so long as it was manufactured prior May 19 1986 ...You just have to register it & pay the taxes (thats the easy part) Most eligible class 3 rifles are in the $10K range!
-An M14 can be either fully automatic or semi..The ones we use here in Iraq are semi only.(modified from fully auto?)

An AK-47 makes a great home defense rifle BTW..
7.62x39 FTW
Get 'em while you can!

Users who are viewing this thread