Alpine INE-Z928HD 8 Inch & Alpine Perfect Fit

joey-roma

Established Member
Okay , so lets start at the beginning . I have been eying the Alpine INE-Z928HD 8 Inch & Alpine Perfect Fit Kit for about a year now. I just couldn't wrap my brain around the HVAC being up top and the screen being mounted in the lower area. But after seeing one in a 2012 Mustang it looked so good I had to have one . In a manual the screen is perfect for viewing / interacting with . The Automatic shifter is a bit large for my likes and blocks the screen . I have a manual so we were all good .

Went over to my local install shop that I have been doing business with for over 10 years. They have always done the most Azz Kicking jobs ever , despite what all the negative yelp reviews say. Had the head unit , steering controls , rear camera, Sirius sat antenna installed in a couple of hours. Looks amazing !

Here comes the part where we fall into that wall in the Twilight Zone episode that the little girl gets lost in ...

Turn the car off , turn the car on , no power to the head unit or HVAC controls . Scratch heads for a while , double check wiring , all good . Start up , works fine , turn car off , wont power up again .

I call Alpine , and speak to one of their tech guys , he informs me that this Perfect Fit Kit ( Model KTX-MTG8 ) Does not , and will never work properly with the INE-Z928HD in a 2013 Mustang due to changes that Ford made on the CAMBUS in 2013. When I asked him why then , in the entire universe is this advertised as working on 2010 and up Ford Mustangs , he replied that they wrote the copy for the " 2010 and up " in 2012........ ( I grind my teeth)
I proceed to let my new friend know that over at the Crutchfield website , if you spec a 2013 Mustang Gt , not only do they reccomend the INE-Z928HD but they also knock 200 dollars off the cost of the Perfect Fit Kit ( Model KTX-MTG8 ) when purchased together. He tells me that is a catastrophic mistake and hast to be addressed right away . I suggest addressing the fact they need to start advertising this Perfect Fit Kit ( Model KTX-MTG8 ) as 2010 - 2012 before anything else. and blah blah blah .

Alpine.jpg

I just want to know , has anyone successfully installed this screen / perfect fit combo in a 2013 ?

Last edited:

texican

Established Member
Damn, that sucks, did they offer any alternatives? If nothing is compatible I'd be asking for every penny spent, including labor for install back. Good luck man, if they get it all fixed, post some pics and let us know how you like it.

jojobee

Established Member
That sucks bad, do you have pics ?
I have a 2012 so im good hopefully.

I like my stock dash but a nav screen would be good.

joey-roma

Established Member
Damn, that sucks, did they offer any alternatives? If nothing is compatible I'd be asking for every penny spent, including labor for install back. Good luck man, if they get it all fixed, post some pics and let us know how you like it.

We are working on it . I have %100 confidence in them .

saunupe1911

Established Member
Just subscribed to this thread because this might be a christmas mod for me. That Alphine Perfect Fit Kit is not cheap either!!! I got my fingers crossed that you get everything worked bro!

joey-roma

Established Member
Another Day

So another day in the books . It started off promising with some specific instructions from Scosche. Until I saw the instructions.. They happen to manufacture the Perfect Fit Kit for Alpine and then Alpine Rebrands it as their own . Here is what Scosche told us to do ... Verbatim ... Keep in mind this was the big fix to get the Perfect Fit Kit to work with a 2013 . We were hopeful because after doing the below procedure , the steering controls started to work . Then another fail . :cuss::xpl::cryying::fm:

Greetings,

To reset our interface we would recommend putting the vehicle in a state of “rest.” To do this you will need to follow these reset steps:

1. Have one door open
2. Disconnect the 24 pin and then 8 pin harness from the module
3. Remove key from ignition
4. Shut the doors.
5. Wait 7 - 10 minutes inside the vehicle with all doors shut and everything powered off.
6. Plug the 24 pin and then 8 pin harness back into the module
7. Start the vehicle

This will reset the interface in your vehicle.

It didn't work

On another note , I noticed Alpine has changed the Kits description for the Mustang to 2010 - 2012
Alpine Electronics of America Mustang Perfect Fit Kit .

But look at my picture of the brochure I have.
IMAG0144.jpg

joey-roma

Established Member

So , Alpine has been totally useless and that is fine. Their position is now that they were victim of rampant typos stating this worked on a 2013 Mustang . That's fine .

That is where Scosche comes in . Scosche is the manufacturer of the perfect fit kit for Alpine. Alpine refuses to even offer any support or explanation to what the issue might be . Scosche actually had a rep and an R&D engineer drive down to Los Angeles from Oxnard today. They have told me that they have been testing these kits on 2013 and 2014 Mustangs and having no issue.

We thought we had isolated the issue and narrowed it down to a faulty harness. As a precaution we also replaced the Perfect fit Kit interface. An hour plus of testing and cycling and everything was fine. Hooked up the steering wheel controls and all was good . Drove to get something to eat an hour later and when I got back in the car , the HVAC and the radio would not power up again.

I am so stubbornly determined to get this working . They are driving back down on Thursday. If its no dice , then I think I am going to move on. But I have to tell you once you see that 8 inch screen in your car...... Its hard to imagine losing an inch .

The mystery is that Alpine apparently knows of an issue. They are concerned enough to now backtrack on all of their advertising relating to 2013 compatibility. To the degree that they will call it all typos. On the other hand Scosche is testing these and claiming to have them working on up to 2014 Mustangs . Even having their R&D team drive hundreds of miles to get to the bottom of it.

I just want to have the answer one way or another . If it cant work , I want to know why . And if it can then lets move on to dropping the FOCALs IN !!!

Should I stay all in or just call it a day ?

alex12gt

Established Member
I have the scorsche kit in mine and have had to have it replaced 2 times now go to fire the car up and it just takes a dump and I think it may have something to do with connecting and disconnecting the battery but when I got my replacement a few weeks ago I noticed a different screen on start up and it now starts with an alpine main screen

joey-roma

Established Member

I have the scorsche kit in mine and have had to have it replaced 2 times now go to fire the car up and it just takes a dump and I think it may have something to do with connecting and disconnecting the battery but when I got my replacement a few weeks ago I noticed a different screen on start up and it now starts with an alpine main screen

Is this a 2013 you have the kit in? And does it look like the pic in my 1st post?

alex12gt

Established Member
Its in a 2012 and mine still keeps the green upper screen I like the look of this much better but I will say it is cheap not happy about having to replace it twice for what I assume is the HVAC controls taking a dump radio will still play but black screen and no control over hvac

kingnut

Established Member
wow i think its cool scorche came down in person and are willing to come back. that says alot of about a company.

i think ford is doing this on purpose. changing up the 13-14 so PNP setups for the earlier 5.0's wouldnt work. they want to make it a pain in the ass so people will just OPT for factory NAV.

joey-roma

Established Member

wow i think its cool scorche came down in person and are willing to come back. that says alot of about a company.

i think ford is doing this on purpose. changing up the 13-14 so PNP setups for the earlier 5.0's wouldnt work. they want to make it a pain in the ass so people will just OPT for factory NAV.

Scosche has a 2013 Mustang at their HQ and have replicated the problem . Fingers crossed , we may have a firmware/software update by Friday. Alpine continues to insist this will not work in a 2013. Today I spoke with an Alpine tech, in an attempt to see what information they reference when insisting non 2013 compatibility. I was stonewalled ( Why I don't know ) I told the guy that the manufacturer ( Scosche ) was being extremely helpful and we would probably have it sorted out in a few days . He yelled at me and stated " IT IS AN ALPINE PRODUCT. NOT ANYONE ELSE'S!" At this point I just El Oh Eled. Haha.

joey-roma

Established Member
That looks really nice installed.

Are they saying 2012 have no issues? I might do this for my 2012.

Yes . As far as I have heard , and Alpine will confirm no problems with the 2010 - 2012. The steering wheel controls drop right in , and also the reverse camera is a nice feature . The reason I went with the base system was in hopes of installing this . AND I WILL NOT BE DENIED!!!!!:cuss:

boss#301

Established Member
Did you have to drill a hole in the firewall or you found one? I'm about to do this too. Thanks

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

joey-roma

Established Member
Just got the call from Scosche. It looks like they identified the issue in the 2013 they have up there , and gave the unit a software update that eliminated the issue ( fingers Crossed ) .

Going to let them drive around in it for the weekend and see if it holds true , and if it does , I will get it on Monday . Good news for everyone with a 2013 Up wanting this combo .

As for drilling , the unit is plug and play . We will drill a hole to the battery when we do the amps and speakers next week and I will let you know how it goes . I would say just pull it through the sound tube hole ,for the no longer used sound tube. That is on the other side from the battery .

Last edited:

boss#301

Established Member
I was thinking about the sound tube hole too. I was just hoping someone found a different one closer to the battery. Thanks

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread