Alt Pulley, shredded belts, etc

NotoriousGT350

Lubbock Terminator
Established Member
Long story short, I've had 2 belts shred on me. Tensioner arm and pulley look good after taking it off. I did have an idler next to the tensioner pulley back out some as it appears the bolt hole is stripped. Problem #1, any advice whether to helicoil the idler bolt hole or go larger screw? I retapped it after the first shred, but it didn't have enough bite on it. Problem #2 after the belt shredded the 2nd time, my Metco Alt 3.2 backed out as well as the nut. Pics below...
IMG_6172_zps21gxfmer.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6173_zps4wa8qmoa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6174_zpsnnqjqtmm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BTW, that is a lifetime warranty alt. from auto zone, so I picked up a new one. Problem is I need a new Metco Alt pulley and looking at the alt. housing, will the new alt pulley work? Here are pics of the autozone alt.
IMG_6175_zpssxforbz1.jpg

IMG_6177_zpshmibkvpk.jpg

Here is a pic of the fubar Metco pulley with the new Alt. There is no way it could sit flush without a spacer because of the lip on the alt housing would just grind into the back of the pulley.
IMG_6178_zpstzq3fm2p.jpg

Will this new Metco Alt pulley work with the current alt? It looks like the pulley has a spacer made into the pulley already.
met-map3200_176898b7.jpg

NotoriousGT350

Lubbock Terminator
Established Member
Just ordered the Metco Alt pulley and lock washer/nut from LMR. Should be here by Friday and hope to get it on this weekend. Now will just have to tap for larger bolt or helicoil the bolt hole for that idler that was backing out.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I would helicoil the stripped hole. But I have a thing for keeping stock size bolts when I can.

You're original Metco pulley. They got rid of the spacers a long time ago and the spacer is now part of the pulley.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the same alternator pulley on mine, use a magnet tool and pull the spacer out of your old alternator and reuse it.

NotoriousGT350

Lubbock Terminator
Established Member
Retapped the bolt hole and helicoil. PIA since radiator hose kept me from making a full 360* rotation on the tap. Had some small bungee cords to pull it to the side to help out. Got the new Metco pulley mounted on the new alternator, bolt her, new belt on as well...fire her it on first try.

Thanks for the help to all!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Glad everything worked out for you. Can you post a photo of your engine bay? I browsed through your mods and would love to see how it looks. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread