Altenator problems????

SVT CAMR

Established Member
I have asked this in another forum but would like to hear from the 96098 specific cars.

It seems when I turn on some loads like lights, fogs, and AC the car will surge and eventually die when at idle.

When I start the car when cold it idles at 14.4 volts. As the car warms up and I have accessories running as described above it will drop to 13.3 at its lowest point.

other. I can stall the car using the window switch. Like when the window is all the way down and I hold both switches down the car will die. If I hold my foot down on the brake very hard the car will die. The car will need to be running for a while before I can make this happen in the 2 instances described.

Also from when I start the car cold 14.4 volts to when it is running after 20 minutes of driving time 13.6 volts is how the voltage reacts with no heavy loads on.

also noted when heavy loads are applied there is a slight surge in engine speed.

have you experienced any of these problems and did replacing the alt. fix them?

SVT CAMR

Established Member
HMMMMM! I just removed the vacuum line from my regulator with out any accessories on and the car died. I'm so confused now. It has never done that. I just went to check my fuel pressure. it did read where it was supposed to. I did finally get it to idle to check the fuel pressure.

After that I shut it off and removed the vacuum line to the regulator and it died again. Again this has never happened.

Car seems to running strong at WOT. lol I don't get it.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
Well I figured it out! It was dying because the AIC. Luckily I did not go for the alternator although I still might need one voltage a little low but borderline 13.4 at idle with all accessories on minus the rear defrost. I removed the AIC and blew it out. Started the car and the surging was 99% gone the car would not die. Then I removed it again and cleaned it for real. I believe this fixed it. I will know by the end of the week for sure. So if I do not follow up it was the AIC for sure. The funny thing is it did not look that dirty. Some black micro pebbles came out of it though. Would not think that would be that big a deal. I guess it was or the AIC is going bad. Either way the car does not die no matter what I try to do to make it die. So to say the least I'm happy. My scanner did not show any codes either through out this process.

Users who are viewing this thread