Alternator dead after wash

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
Have any of you guys had killed the alternator after you've washed your car? My car has 32k miles and i pulled it out of the garage to try my new ebay foam gun and after i was done washing, i get battery light and alternator wine and very low charge. Question is, do you guys cover your heat extractors when you wash? I know a lot of people complained about alternators going bad way too soon on these cars because of heat and other things, but i think washing the car is another reasons they die. My car was cold and i also use the driver side brake vent to cool the alternator.

I am about to order from rockauto motorcraft reman....any advice for something else?

Thank you.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ive never covered my heat extractors. Im sure plenty of alternators get wet during rain.

I'd lean more towards the water making an already poor connection fail.

Probably best to do some testing before throwing an alternator at it.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I never cover mine and I have LFP vents. From what I hear it misses a lot of stuff even when left open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotcobra03

Established Member
I pressure wash my engine weekly..never issue from it..

I also would check battery terminals/ connections..

I have been using orielieys alt..lifetime warranty. .no wait

They run around 210.00

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd guess coincidence before thinking the water did it. As said check the connections.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
You didn't wash the engine did you?

No , but i did wash engines before with out any issues.

I had battery disconnected for a while and still nothing, I suspect it's on it's last leg since if i put a load on it, then it will start whining and drop charge. If i pull the alternator fuse in the fuse box, then it will go up to 14.x V but that's just maxing out the regulator.

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
I wash my engine bay by hand with soap and water and rinse very well , the alternator should be completely dry before you start that motor and run it , I use a blower to dry my engine and blow out the water in the alternator , water will kill it yes , how do I know , I did eventually kill it , not the first time I washed the engine but one of those times and didn't let it dry completely and it went out on me and I took it to have it rebuilt and the guy said do I wash my engine? I said yes , he said the damage was caused by not drying it and running it before it was dry , he gave me better electronics and better parts but still said to dry the alternator completely before starting the motor ,

Users who are viewing this thread