Alternator Recommendations

whydaman

Established Member
I'm on my 2nd generic replacement alternator on my 2003 and it appears that the voltage regulator is bad. I'm kinda tired of replacing alternators....any recommendations on brand/amp capacity/things to look for?

03ct cobra

Established Member
I know a lot of people get the e bay ones. I bought one from nations auto electric. I believe its a 180amp unit. Its the replacement one that the guy there suggested I get for my car. I've been happy with it so far and have put roughly 4k miles on it with no issues. Hope this helps

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
i got a 160amp from e bay for less than 200 bucks shipped , He even painted it black for me . I just installed it , so we will see if it is any good or not .

X3FBrian

Established Member
I just purchased a start n charge 160 amp and a metco 3.2 alt pulley from lethal. Probably the most expensive alt swap ever

b_dike

Established Member
I know this isnt the norm, but I went with a remanned oe alt. Got it for $80 shipped. Instead of buying one of these high dollar units, I made some ductwork to run to the alt to keep it cool. Little over 5k miles on it so far with no issues.

There was a thread on here showing that heat plays a huge roll in destroying our alts. So I figured why not try out a oe unit and just keep it cooler. And if that doesnt work than I'm only out 80 bucks...

If you actually searched you'd find there are quite a few promising threads on this subject.

And yea I'm being that guy today. :)

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
I know this isnt the norm, but I went with a remanned oe alt. Got it for $80 shipped. Instead of buying one of these high dollar units, I made some ductwork to run to the alt to keep it cool. Little over 5k miles on it so far with no issues.

There was a thread on here showing that heat plays a huge roll in destroying our alts. So I figured why not try out a oe unit and just keep it cooler. And if that doesnt work than I'm only out 80 bucks...

I did do a cooling mod for it too. I only spent like 10$ for the duct and i used the brake vent next to the fog light

b_dike

Established Member
I did do a cooling mod for it too. I only spent like 10$ for the duct and i used the brake vent next to the fog light

And it still failed? Just curious, not sure what your trying to say.

I did the same thing as you. Used the hole next to the fog light and ran some ducting.

SVTDice

Established Member
My ebay one is holding up great! One question for everybody though, What's everybody's voltage during idle? Mine's around 13.2 Or so. But somebody told me to check the voltage when its around 2k RPM's to see if the alternator is doing good or not. Is this true?

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I run a PA Performance 130amp alternator in my 03 and haven't had any issues.

Jared

ITL Cobra

Established Member
I put in a Mechman 300 amp Alt. Its is a little on the pricey side, but I didnt want to go for the cheap ones. I figured its better to do it once than to go through replacing a few of them.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I just purchased a start n charge 160 amp and a metco 3.2 alt pulley from lethal. Probably the most expensive alt swap ever

I purchased the same alternator, directly from Jaimie and got the pulley from Posi Performance.

I had an issue with it, when it was just past the 1 year warranty period and Jamie repaired it and sent it back... no charge.
He told me that there had been some problems with a part and he was now sourcing that part from a new manufacturer.

I will be 2 years old here in a couple of months, no other issues, has about 18K miles on it.

I prefer to buy from people that you can actually talk to, if there is an issue and Jamie seems to be a real stand-up guy, thumbs up from me.

I think Cobra Bob had Jamie's contact info on his web site.

-Brian

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Very smart of you to do this. Heat is a major culprit with alternators failing.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I purchased the same alternator, directly from Jaimie and got the pulley from Posi Performance.

I had an issue with it, when it was just past the 1 year warranty period and Jamie repaired it and sent it back... no charge.
He told me that there had been some problems with a part and he was now sourcing that part from a new manufacturer.

I will be 2 years old here in a couple of months, no other issues, has about 18K miles on it.

I prefer to buy from people that you can actually talk to, if there is an issue and Jamie seems to be a real stand-up guy, thumbs up from me.

I think Cobra Bob had Jamie's contact info on his web site.

-Brian

Yes, it is on my home page, at the bottom, along with pricing info. Welcome

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
And it still failed? Just curious, not sure what your trying to say.

I did the same thing as you. Used the hole next to the fog light and ran some ducting.

No it didn't , i was just saying that i did the same mod. I am on my original alternator and original battery. I use a battery tender when the car is sitting.

b_dike

Established Member
My ebay one is holding up great! One question for everybody though, What's everybody's voltage during idle? Mine's around 13.2 Or so. But somebody told me to check the voltage when its around 2k RPM's to see if the alternator is doing good or not. Is this true?

I check on mine regularly and at cruising rpms I will see anywhere between 13.5 to 14 depending on how many accessories I have on. So 13.2 is right there in the ballpark.

Just an fyi, before my original alt failed I was seeing volts in the mid 12's. Not too low to cause any problems, but still a sutle sign of impending doom.

b_dike

Established Member
Not sure how to post a link for it, but I found the thread I was refering to. Its in the engine/ tuning section, "found the cure to our alternator woes" by bumsticks... dated 2/24/2010

If you really want a better understanding as to what's going on with these alternators I highly recommend reading through this thread. A lot of good Info here. :read:

Users who are viewing this thread