**Alternator - Removal How-To PICS **

sonicmach1

Established Member
Thanks dude I've been looking for the pics. That's awesome.

My pleasure.

To remove the belt you insert a 1/2" breaker bar into the blower FEAD pulley. Push down all the way (it will move a couple inches) which relieves tension on the belt. You have to push with fair force down. Use you other hand to remove the belt off of a pulley. Then slowly allow the tensioner back up.

Be carefully you do not allow the belt to end up half way on any pulley as it may damage the belt.

dsgsnake03

Redfire Vert
Established Member
Some people on here have had problems with the pa alternators. I have one and when I was installing it the belt would not fit because the pulley was bigger. So I called pa performance and they asked for my complete setup with upper and lower and my redline. They where able to tell me what pulley I should have for my setup. I got lucky and the one that was on there was the right one. So then I had to get the new belt length the old fashioned way... trail and error. My point is.. if you get an upgraded alt.. make sure you have the right size pulley. If it is the wrong size you will have either low charge or overspin problems. And NOONE wants to change out another alt.. Good luck!!

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
i did mine today. i had to take the real big radiator hose lose, and a hose on top lose in order to get it out.

noticed the 04 cobra alt looks like its the same as the one on my 95 5.0 gt.. same bolt locations on all. just different locations for the elec plugs.

would any non-cobra alt work on a 04 cobra?

mine was 209 plus tax and core charge... 269 i think. taking the old alt back tomorrow for the 35 core charge refund. got a lifetime warranty though.. O'riely's

Terminator2003

Established Member
I did mine the other day. It IS a pain in the ass. I was an import guy before...and I have done swaps on Civics in almost the same time that it took to change my alternator lol

Its the first one I did, so that's why it took so long. I could do it in half the time now.

One tip I'll give from personal experience...

Do NOT tighten up the lower alternator brace until you get the alternator fully in place. I made the mistake of just getting it into the "general" area, then I tightened the bottom bolt of the alternator brace. I went to wiggle the alternator in place and it wouldn't move enough. So I had to go back and loosen off the brace to position the alternator properly :(

It was a learning experience to say the least.

Last edited:

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
Just got this done, wouldn't have been able to do it without the write up. Took me 2 days lol, just because trying to remove the 10mm upper alternator bracket bolt shattered my 1/4" drive adapter, so I had to wait for autozone to get me a 2/8" 10mm socket. As for after that, I slid the bracket out of the way, and gave it hell. It took me about 30 minutes after I got it unbolted to finagle it out and squeeze the new one in. Definitely a bad design if you ask me. Did ford never think that our cars would outlast the alternator or what?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Thanks for the wonderful thread...took me about 3 hours, but got her done...

clone93gt

Established Member
just did mine with the help of this thread. took about 15 minutes to get it all done. Sending my alternator out to have it upgraded to a 200 amps avalance diodes Thanks for the write up

SSMOKE-U

Super Petrosexual
Established Member
I am about to undertake this project over the weekend, but I am confused with people having problems with the alt pulley. Isn't it as simple as taking pulley off old one and putting it on new one?

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
I am about to undertake this project over the weekend, but I am confused with people having problems with the alt pulley. Isn't it as simple as taking pulley off old one and putting it on new one?

All you need is an impact gun and the correct socket...pulley nut comes right off.

SSMOKE-U

Super Petrosexual
Established Member
All you need is an impact gun and the correct socket...pulley nut comes right off.

That's what I thought. Throughout the thread, though, people had mentioned issues with that. Didn't quite understand why though. It is pretty self explanatory.

I did the swap over the weekend and I must say it was not a very difficult job, but a very messy one (for me at least). I made it easier on myself though and put the car on a drive-on lift and a buddy of mine stood on the lift and maneuvered and tightened from the top as I did the same from the bottom.

Hardest part of the whole process for me was getting the battery tray off as the bolt that holds it down on the bottom had rusted out of shape. After trying different ways of getting the rusted bolt out, I ended up cutting through the plastic around the rusted bolt and got the tray out that way.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Just got done with alternator swap number 2. Removed power steerting pump AND bracket. Removed alternator bracket after unbolting alternator. Also unbolted the positive wire from the fuse block, unbolted the ground wire, and laid the whole wiring harness back over the radiator. Pulled the drivers side splash guard out ot the way from the bottom, giving access to the lower bolt, postive wire on alternator, and the harness plug. Also need to unbolt the brakes lines and the brake line separator to pull them out of the way.

With all this out of the way, the alternator popped right out from the top side.

Total swap time from start to finish - 2 hours and 15 minutes. This included swapping alternator pullies also.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread