Alternator Woes, This one is different...

flamed03vert

Established Member
Okay, been having the typical alternator issues. Went with a NAPA unit for now. So I am out driving the car the longest I've driven it since the installation. Car is running fine, so I get into it a a light. About 10 minutes later I'm stuck in traffic and the battery light and ABS light come on. Now I'm pissed, figured the car is going to die.So I am keeping the rpms up while moving. When I slow down back to idle the light goes out. Huh? So I observe the trend... when the tach sweeps past 1500rpms the battery light comes on. So I finally get home, pop the hood and see acid leakage from the vent caps. I let the car cool off and the underhood vent. I voltage check the battery, 12.4vdc. Have the wife start the car, 14.3vdc at idle. Tell the wife to bring up the rpms to about 2000. See acid push out from vent cap. YIKES! Tell her to stop, clip my leads onto the cable posts and stand back... observed on meter 16.6vdc at 2k rpms. :??:
I am assuming maybe spinning it up hot buggered then regulator. Normally they under charge, but mine is way over charging. Anyone else seen this? I guess I need to pull this alternator out and get another one already. Sucks, I ha the field test sheet with this one, and acording to the sheet it looked good. I should've just waited and got the start'n charge one think. Just was longer than I wanted to wait, and I hate paying anything via paypal...

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Okay, been having the typical alternator issues. Went with a NAPA unit for now. So I am out driving the car the longest I've driven it since the installation. Car is running fine, so I get into it a a light. About 10 minutes later I'm stuck in traffic and the battery light and ABS light come on. Now I'm pissed, figured the car is going to die.So I am keeping the rpms up while moving. When I slow down back to idle the light goes out. Huh? So I observe the trend... when the tach sweeps past 1500rpms the battery light comes on. So I finally get home, pop the hood and see acid leakage from the vent caps. I let the car cool off and the underhood vent. I voltage check the battery, 12.4vdc. Have the wife start the car, 14.3vdc at idle. Tell the wife to bring up the rpms to about 2000. See acid push out from vent cap. YIKES! Tell her to stop, clip my leads onto the cable posts and stand back... observed on meter 16.6vdc at 2k rpms. :??:
I am assuming maybe spinning it up hot buggered then regulator. Normally they under charge, but mine is way over charging. Anyone else seen this? I guess I need to pull this alternator out and get another one already. Sucks, I ha the field test sheet with this one, and acording to the sheet it looked good. I should've just waited and got the start'n charge one think. Just was longer than I wanted to wait, and I hate paying anything via paypal...

Jamie is a stand up guy. I'm putting on his alt as we speak. You can just tell Its a High quality part.

oldmodman

Established Member
Sure sounds like the internal regulator has failed.

And don't drive the car until the alternator is replaced. The battery can explode and the acid will really make your engine compartment look like crap. Or it could even blow up in your face. How your face looks afterwards isn't for me to judge:dw:
I hope you have already washed the acid off with lots of fresh water, it will really ruin all the painted and bare metal it touches.

Users who are viewing this thread