Alternator???

KevinsVertTerminator

Established Member
Guys,
I knew i should rebuild the alt and change the pulley when i added the dual pumps and 4lb lower..... i didn't.

Stock alternator 2003 cobra. 25k miles.

Car seemed to run funny for a second, then i went to turn on radio and it went dead. ScT x4 showing 9 to 10 volts. Car boggs then seems fine and volts jump to 12 (radio starts working). Was only 5 min from home so i got home fine.

Turned car off and it will not crank. Inside lights and headlights come on and battery light stays on on the dash. With car off the volts on X4 show 7. I hooked up the battery charger...

Is that my alternator going out!!

If so what do you recommend? Is the best plan to rebuild the stock one, thus avoiding the random issues that the aftermarket ones seem to have?

Lesson, a stock car that runs perfect will have many minor issues when you up the HP!!!!! I accept that and have no regrets, my wife on the other hand....... :)

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
The thing about adding a lower is that it is the drive pulley so it changes how fast the belt turns, so you usually have to modify the alternator pulley to compensate.

Edit whoops nm, see that you already mentioned that -

01yellercobra

Established Member
Chances are alternator died and the battery got you home. Now the battery is dead. Put it on a charger and plan on getting a new alternator or getting yours rebuilt.

KevinsVertTerminator

Established Member
Update.
Charged battery for several hours.
With car off showed 12 v on X4.
Cranked and ran fine.
While running x4 showed high 11 to low 12 v and w air off high 12s.

Opinions please!

I assume alt is starting to go, maybe dropping volts when hot or under load???

Can i drive it an hour away to my guy or am i stuck doing it myself?

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Car off, check battery voltage with a multimeter. Should be 12v or around there. Start car, check again at battery terminal, anything less than 13v to 14v than your alternator Is not putting out voltage. Like 01yellercobra said, it's kaput.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, at least you solved the problem and got it replaced. Happy days are here again!

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-12_5-31-29.png
    upload_2020-11-12_5-31-29.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 88

KevinsVertTerminator

Established Member
Thank you.
I love this site and it is such a huge resource for Terminator information as well as connecting me guys like you both. I am glad I can post a resolution and contribute in some small way!!

Users who are viewing this thread