Alternator

2004mmmach1

On The Road Course
Established Member
whats the best alternator for a Procharged D1 Sn95???

the car was running nice after the tune then all of a sudden it started dying/bogging/cutting while I would drive it and Im almost sure its the alternator because since it was modded/supercharged!!!

I disconnected the battery cable and it died???

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
1st, do not disconnect the battery on a running car with feedback.
Basicly any computer car after 1986.

If it wasn't dead before it may be fried now and you can even fry the computer.

This isn't 1976 and your car doesn't have a generator.

The alternator alone doesn't create enough juice to run a modern car.

Think of the alternator as a device that speed up electrons. It takes 12 volts and makes 14.

If your battery has issues then the charging system will have issues.

Take it somewhere and get it all tested.

bluestang41505

Established Member
Optima red or Yellow top and a 200+ amp alternator and your done. Also the 200+ amp is just a bit bigger but should fit even with the supercharger. Or you can get a lower gage wire from the alt to the battery, or do all three.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Get it checked, it may be a freak. lol Actually if it didn't spike and burn the diodes it is possible to stay running.
You got lucky IMO

In reality most don't. And with the feedback the sudden drop in voltage will make the voltage regulator peg out possibly frying things. Diodes/ECM/Stereo

The battery in the system absorbs spikes. Take the battery out of the loop and those spikes go elsewhere. Disconnecting the battery causes a VERY LARGE spike.

Bottom line, Some may get lucky but that is an old test that should not be done on todays charging system.

cbramblett02

Established Member
STAMPEDE3 is right you can get away with it 90% of the time but i wouldn't want to be that 10% that fries everything! it was a good test back in the day but a good multimeter can tell you if the alt is working.

Users who are viewing this thread