Aluminum block shortage or?

brian@p+

Established Member
I ordered an engine and upgraded to the aluminum block and have been tol they are on back order from F ord. Does anybody know where there might be one?

or work at ford racing and know when they will have some more?

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Who did you order it from? A Ford dealer or what? If you are a 2010, you shoulda stayed iron.

JimIII@jdm

5.4L or 5.8L? Ford stopped producing the 5.4L AL block some time ago they are very scarce. I may be able to help in getting one, call us at 732-780-0770.

JimIII

JimIII@jdm

The 5.8L is still being made, hard to get but still available by order. The 5.4L is discontinued, Ford Racing hasn't had them in over a year. Some Ford Dealerships have them but in limited quantity.

MattR

Established Member
Why did I think an OEM had to offer parts for at least 10 years? I guess if mine blows I can start a thread like the guy with the 5.0 shelby. LSX in my GT500 lol.

JimIII@jdm

Why did I think an OEM had to offer parts for at least 10 years? I guess if mine blows I can start a thread like the guy with the 5.0 shelby. LSX in my GT500 lol.

They don't any more, its like 2 years

MattR

Established Member
So if a guy has an extended warranty and pops an engine he gets a 5.8? A late 2012 could have been sold in 2013 giving it coverage until 2018 or so. It's to bad the aftermarket doesn't do blocks for Ford engines.

JimIII@jdm

So if a guy has an extended warranty and pops an engine he gets a 5.8? A late 2012 could have been sold in 2013 giving it coverage until 2018 or so. It's to bad the aftermarket doesn't do blocks for Ford engines.

No, If you damage your engine under warranty Ford will replace your shortblock or longblock. Which Ford does have Shortblocks in stock and can re manufacture shortblocks as well. It is just the bare block that is no longer being produced.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
5.4L or 5.8L? Ford stopped producing the 5.4L AL block some time ago they are very scarce.

JimIII

The bare 5.4L blocks are still being produced, and can be ordered (I just checked in my Ford system a few minutes ago). They are on back order though, so it will take some time (just like the 5.8's), but they have not been discontinued.

Why did I think an OEM had to offer parts for at least 10 years?

That's a myth. Ford only has to keep parts available through the original warranty period.

If your vehicle is still under a Ford warranty, and the particular part you need has been discontinued, they will find you one. As mentioned, Ford will never replace just a bare block under warranty. It would be an assembly, which is readily available.

Last edited:

enormous

Established Member
I work at Fords WEP and we are still machining 5.4L blocks today along with the 6.8 at our plant.
F150 and GT500 5.4's rolled out of block machining at the same time, no difference during the 07-10 run.

5.4 production will be phased out soon.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I work at Fords WEP and we are still machining 5.4L blocks today along with the 6.8 at our plant.
F150 and GT500 5.4's rolled out of block machining at the same time, no difference during the 07-10 run.

5.4 production will be phased out soon.

I take it that the 5.4 blocks are done in short runs every so often? Can you comment on how many may be done at a given time?

JimIII@jdm

Because its stronger than aluminum. You won't regret it.

It's also heavier, doesn't dissipate heat as well, and a connecting rod will go through the side of a iron block just as easily as an aluminum. Your not going to crack or stress either AL or Steel 5.4L based on HP alone. You would have to detonate either engine to cause catastrophic failure to the block. If you can afford it, I would go aluminum every time.

Users who are viewing this thread