Aluminum Diff Bushings?

Stupercharged

Established Member
Anyone using the MM aluminum diff bushing kit? i like the fact that you are able to change pinion angle up to 4*. and the fact that its a solid mount so there wont be any play in it anymore. if you use it let me know what you think. it says NVH is basically unaffected so let me know if this is true.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Anyone using the MM aluminum diff bushing kit? i like the fact that you are able to change pinion angle up to 4*. and the fact that its a solid mount so there wont be any play in it anymore. if you use it let me know what you think. it says NVH is basically unaffected so let me know if this is true.

If you're looking at installing bushings in your IRS, do it once and do it right (because it's a royal PITA getting the old bushings out...:cuss:).

Buy Bruce's (ac427cobra) bushing kit and never look back...:beer:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Bruce is 100% correct, there is some gear whine, BUT, the trade-off is well worth it. I have the complete kit installed and it's great. BTW, my car was in for service yesterday, and 2 Cobra's we're in the shop for squeaking rear-ends, both have the MM kit installed. The owners asked me why mine doesn't squeak, we showed them the grease kit installed on my car. My Tech recommended Bruce's kit, after installing mine, but the owner's went the other way, with another shop, and 6 months later are very upset with the outcome. Bruce's kit is very well enginerred, and backed up with top notch customer service.

ImportsSuk

DelValMuscleCars
Established Member
If you're looking at installing bushings in your IRS, do it once and do it right (because it's a royal PITA getting the old bushings out...:cuss:).

Buy Bruce's (ac427cobra) bushing kit and never look back...:beer:

+10. just finished installing the entire IRS kit. haven't driven it yet (lotsa other mods going on as well) but his kit is mighty impressive. oh and GET THE REMOVAL TOOLS!! they're worth they're weight in gold!

LongshotSVT

I piss excellence
Established Member
I'm also a huge fan of bruce's kit... I went cheap and skipped the control arm bushings, but I'll add them eventually!

In regards to the aluminum diff bushings, like I said I have bruces, which also allow the adjustment of pinion angle and I'm very pleased. I haven't noticed any increase in NVH but as bruce said, that could just be my tolerance level... I've had some pretty obnoxious cars before.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Thanks for the compliments guys! :thumbsup:

Here is a cut and paste fron the FAQ on our web site:

Q: "How much increase in NVH will I see with this kit?"

A: The change in NVH will hardly be noticeable with the exception of the aluminum front differential mounts. They are a tad on the noisy side. Worse if you have 4:10 gears. If you have an aftermarket exhaust that's loud, it will help mask the noise from the diff mounts. Some have used the sound deadening matting available at car stereo shops to minimize the sound. It's a self adhesive matting you put down on the floor pan right above the differential. It's called Dynamat and it's also available at Eastwood.

Q: "How bad will the noise level be with 4:10's?"

A: 4:10's are definitely going to raise the noise level particularly with the Aluminum front diff mounts. As mentioned above, if you have loud aftermarket exhaust, that will help. Some people put down Dynamat on the floorpan directly above the differential and that seems to help a lot. Some say it's noisy, and others have said it's not bad. It's like asking what the best beer is. You won't get the same answer from any two people.

Linky to the full FAQ:

faq's

20psirabbit

Established Member
yeah i've got bruce's full kit with mm's aluminum diff mount, and you can hear it, but it's not too noisy for me. i don't mind the performance difference for the bit of noise it added. like bruce said above though, worst case you can throw down some dynamat if it makes you crazy.

Stupercharged

Established Member
im sure the noise wont bother me. i dont care about noise too much as long as performance is improved. thanks hopefully ill get some extra money soon so i can order this kit. about how long does the install take of the full kit? and can you do it all with the tool he provides? do i have to drop my IRS or what?

20psirabbit

Established Member
people have said it's easiest to drop the irs and do it that way. i paid a local shop to do it. they quoted me 300 for the labor, and i said for 300 you can have that nightmare :D

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
im sure the noise wont bother me. i dont care about noise too much as long as performance is improved. thanks hopefully ill get some extra money soon so i can order this kit. about how long does the install take of the full kit? and can you do it all with the tool he provides? do i have to drop my IRS or what?

I took my car over to a friend's house to do the bushing install. He has a lift so it made the removal and reinstallation of the IRS assembly pretty easy. As previously indicated, the hard part is getting out the OEM rubber bushings (even with the removal tol). Bottom line - you should be able to complete the install in a weekend...:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread