Aluminum Shifter Bezel Installation

2003 Term'nator

Established Member
For everyone who has installed the aluminum shifter bezel (I have the UPR one) what all is involved. By the looks of it, all I will need to do is drill the holes and screw it down. Since there are no bolts, will the screws just thread themselves through the plastic? This seems a little weak but there shouldn't be much movement.

Thanks

Video

Established Member
thats about all there is to it...I took the shifter boot completely off, then installed the bezel...the screws will thread themselves...rgds..

2003 Term'nator

Established Member
To clarify, are you saying you took the boot off the plastic piece or just pulled the whole assembly out and disconnected the lighter. I will definitely pull the whole thing out and take it inside to work on. Thanks for the reply.

2003 Term'nator

Established Member
I also bought a shift knob from UPR, similar to the Mach 1 but with a flat top and 6-spd diagram. It came with the flat nut that I am going to try to put underneath the boot and screw the knob down tight against both, probably will take some trial and error (mostly error) to get it right. It seems that if I didn't do it that way there would be a gap between the boot and the bottom of the knob since the stock knob is much taller.

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
When I saw that I had to drill holes I sent it back and ordered the Bullit piece. Snaps right in in 2 seconds.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Cobra03
When I saw that I had to drill holes I sent it back and ordered the Bullit piece. Snaps right in in 2 seconds.
Does the snap-on version fit tight to the base all the way around?

KHsonic03

Established Member
Bob-I have the Bullitt piece. I've had that since my 01. Yes, it fits very nicely, and matches perfectly. It follows the contours of the plastic. The only bad thing is that it is plastic, but who can tell?

hoofbeat

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra03
Where did you get the Bullet Bezel from?

Video

Established Member
Yep, I took the whole boot completely off (disconnected the lighter) took it inside, did the surgery, put it back on....goes great with my UPR sill plates!!!...... There's a bezel that just snaps on???? Is it metal??? hmmm.....I thought drillin' holes was a bit excessive for interior dress up...oh well...I'm glad I didn't screw it up...looks cool.... ;)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Jim Vaccaro
The Bullitt Piece matches perfect the stock shift knob..
I'm using a FatKnob (black) so match isn't an issue. I bought the billet metal bezel which uses the screws. It fits nice and tight and definitely is a quality piece. I hated to drill holes but then again I don't plan on removing the bezel so it doesn't matter to me.

Hey Ken, did you recently install the Bullitt bezel? I didn't notice it when I was at the garage?

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
:D :beer: :D

I first installed the Bullitt bezel, but I didn't like the plastic look. The UPR bezel is made of aluminum, and looks more "solid" than the Bullitt version. It is also thicker.

The hole drilling is not bad either for the UPR unit. Very easy to do.

This is one of the few UPR items that I could recommend. Too bad MGW doesn't make a bezel.

:D :beer: :D

Redwing

Established Member
I bought a billet aluminum bezel from CJ Pony Mustang parts when I was at Carlysle. It screws in with little aluminum screws that thread themselves. It looks sharp, feels real, and took all of 10 minutes to install. I also bought and installed a Bullit gas tank door. Both pieces look very nice.
Steve

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by KHsonic03
No Bob, I put it on after 5 min of owning the car.:)
Hey buddy, I guess the glare from that Zaino'd paint distracted me from paying attention to the interior.
:lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread