Am I capable of replacing my clutch?

Swervedriver

Established Member
Robertson Racin said:
Good time for cooling mod...

I planned on doing the cooling mod but I don't see it being worth the time & frustration to try & beat that freeze plug out with just the the transmission hump for space to work in.

If you're dropping the engine that's a different story...

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
Doing my clutch tommorrow with Juiced46's assistance...i have done them before and they are not that bad..just gotta be careful and line everything up...here's a hint*** get a cheapo motorcycle jack if your working on the garage floor and use a nylon ty strap..to hold the tranny in place while you jack it up works like a charm instead of fighting the weight of the tranny while trying to line it up properly.

Jay

lafave

Cop didn't see it....
Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
Wow great info Bob!! Thank you very much!!! But now after reading that, I may just leave it to the pros.

Bryan - You just got done replacing your supercharger. You can do this! You work at Toyota for Christ sake, ask them if you can use a bay. If not, no biggy. Just make sure that you have the car very secure when it's on the stands. When I was finished with my clutch in my garage, it fell off the stands moments after I was out from under it. I wouldn't be typing right now if it had been about 20 seconds earlier.

Mike

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
lafave said:
Bryan - You just got done replacing your supercharger. You can do this! You work at Toyota for Christ sake, ask them if you can use a bay. If not, no biggy. Just make sure that you have the car very secure when it's on the stands. When I was finished with my clutch in my garage, it fell off the stands moments after I was out from under it. I wouldn't be typing right now if it had been about 20 seconds earlier.

Mike

holy shit! that was a close call How'd it manage to fall off the stands? Did it damge the car? I like using a lift that locks to being under a car any other way, especially under ramps, they scare the hell outta me. :eek:

Swervedriver

Established Member
Emil said:
The hardest thing will be centering the new disk in the clutch, you need an alignment tool for that, if not the input shaft will not go into the pilot bushing and the trans won't go in. Good luck, be careful and you'll be fine.

I just did this today. Exedy twin disk & 26 spline input shaft. I kept tightening the pressure plate & it would pinch the disks weird and I couldn't pull the alignment tool out. I then pushed up on the pressure plate & held it in that position then tigtened the PP in sequence with an impact gun. That did the trick, and I slid the gearbox in with relative ease.
:thumbsup:

In all honesty there is very little reason to do a job like this on jackstands unless you have some good help. It beats you up pretty good.

lafave

Cop didn't see it....
Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
holy shit! that was a close call How'd it manage to fall off the stands? Did it damge the car? I like using a lift that locks to being under a car any other way, especially under ramps, they scare the hell outta me. :eek:

I had the front wheels on ramps and the back axle on the stands. It was my 89 GT. The ramps were really old and the one that was holding up the driver side caved in. The jack stand on the same side flipped over and put a good size gouge in the driveline. I replaced it with an aluminum one right away because I couldn't drive the car over 25 mph without major vibration.

That scared the crap outta me when it happened to say the least.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
mnypit said:
CF says NOT to reuse the OEM Aluminum flywheel with their clutch - check on that with them directly.

i checked with them directly, they say ford doesnt want anyone reuseing the factory flywheel. but mine's doing fine.

Bob Cosby, great write up. but im going to add one thing. it is alot easyer to re install everything by removing the bellhousing first, and bolting it back up, and then bolting the trans up to the bellhousing. takes a good twenty pounds off it, and makes it easier to slide into place. ok, thats it! have fun! and go ahead and buy yourself some more (non-synthetic) ATF fluid. i lost about two quarts on the floor last thursday when i installed my dual friction. :beer:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
03InThe11s said:
Bob Cosby, great write up. but im going to add one thing. it is alot easyer to re install everything by removing the bellhousing first, and bolting it back up, and then bolting the trans up to the bellhousing. takes a good twenty pounds off it, and makes it easier to slide into place. ok, thats it! have fun! and go ahead and buy yourself some more (non-synthetic) ATF fluid. i lost about two quarts on the floor last thursday when i installed my dual friction. :beer:

Unfortunately, you can't do that with the T56. It has an intregal bellhousing that bolts to the body of the tranny from the inside - there is no way to access it unless the tranny is out of the car. As such, you have to remove and install the tranny and bellhousing together. :)

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
Ok, my Cobra needs a new throw out bearing....BAD! I am having a hard time finding a person I trust with the car right now. Ford wanted $800 just for labor :kaboom:

So I figured since the TOB needs to be replaced, I'll replace the clutch at the same time. I have a CF DF clutch and TOB sitting in my car waiting for install. So today I just got done installing my ported blower and though I have no mechanical experience, a thought of replacing my own clutch crossed my mind. I have never changed a blower before today, nor have I ever replaced my brakes (taking off a caliper or rotor) before this car. I change exhausts all the time and have no problem swapping pullies. This is my 4th Mustang I have owned and though I am only a backyard mechanic, I question my ability to do the clutch. I have a good variety of tools, but no air tools. Do you guys think the clutch is something I could do myself? What is involved? Any special tools needed? I am the type of person that enjoys learning on my own and I am not afraid to make a mistake.

What do you guys think?

youll need a flywheel tool, or an impact gun to get the flywheel bolts out. you need to resurface your flywheel. remove the tranny and the bellhousing seperately or else youll have hell. i changed my clutch in 4 hours...including waiting an hour for the flywheel to get resurfaced. good luck

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
Bob Cosby said:
Unfortunately, you can't do that with the T56. It has an intregal bellhousing that bolts to the body of the tranny from the inside - there is no way to access it unless the tranny is out of the car. As such, you have to remove and install the tranny and bellhousing together. :)

wrong. there are 8 bolts you remove and the tranny will slide right away from the bellhousing. i work on these things all day :burnout:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
By gollies, I looked into it and you (and 03inthe11s) are right. As mentioned above, I haven't actually done a T56, so I have no problem admitting an error. I'm not sure that it would be easier this way, but I'm willing to listen. :)

Swervedriver

Established Member
Bob Cosby said:
By gollies, I looked into it and you (and 03inthe11s) are right. As mentioned above, I haven't actually done a T56, so I have no problem admitting an error. I'm not sure that it would be easier this way, but I'm willing to listen. :)

It's a LOT easier this way. There is really no room to reach the top 2 bell housing bolts with the gearbox in position. Not to mention how much easier it is to move around the gearbox in the small tunnel without the bell housing.

Also, you stated 6 bolts for the flywheel, there are 8 on '03 Cobras.

Someone else stated the shifter resevoir isn't connected to the rest of the box & not to fill from that location. I was told by a Ford Mechanic to fill it there because it makes things a lot easier.

:thumbsup:

03BADSTANG

Established Member
I just did a search and found this thread, as I am preparing to do my own clutch and input shaft. Great write up:beer:

black01mustang

a new z06 will be mine
Established Member
I had someone put mine in because I didn't have a place to do it. I'm glad that I had him do it I assisted because I was interested in learning. Like everyone said there a few bolts that are a PITA the top tranny bolts and the top bolt on the starter. This is definately not a one man job wrestling with the tranny is definately a pain it's not super heavy but heavy enough one person can't manage it. After you've got the tranny out replacing the clutch is a breeze. When you go to reinstall it you'll have the same problems as before when it comes to getting to the bolts but hopefully you will have learned how to get to them easier during taking the parts out.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
i checked with them directly, they say ford doesnt want anyone reuseing the factory flywheel. but mine's doing fine.

centerforce says that for marketing.. to get you to buy their flywheels and spend the 300+ dollars.. my stocker was machined and its all good! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread